PDA

View Full Version : Showing ID to vote (SD-ish please)

Teh One Who Knocks
03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Can someone explain to me why liberals are so against requiring people to show ID's to vote?

The state of Texas was the most recent state to pass a law requiring people to show an ID before they can vote and the US Department of Justice has told the state that they (Texas) can't pass such a law (even though there are already a few states that have similar laws).

You need ID to buy beer...cigarettes...get into an 'R' rated movie if you look young enough...to buy OTC allergy meds. So why is that okay but it isn't okay to require someone to prove who they are before they cast a ballot? :confused:

I've never understood the logic against it.

Jezter
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I really don't understand why they wouldn't require an ID to vote. I mean, that is a very simple and easy way to fight against voting frauds. We have to show ID to vote over here and it is no big deal. Takes like 2 seconds.

Hal-9000
03-13-2012, 09:39 PM
We show ID to prove it's ME and then get our ballots...

maybe in the States they want a good portion of the illegal aliens to have a say? IDK...:lol:

RBP
03-13-2012, 09:55 PM
maybe in the States they want a good portion of the illegal aliens to have a say? IDK...:lol:

Precisely. ID requirements offend Hispanic voters.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Precisely. ID requirements offend Hispanic voters.

And yet Mexico requires ID to vote....

Mexico

In Mexico, there is a general electoral census. Any citizen of age 18 or greater must go to an electoral office in order be registered into the electoral census. Citizens receive a voting card (credencial de elector con fotografía), issued by the Federal Electoral Institute (IFE) that must be shown to vote in any election. The voting card also serves as a national identity document.

RBP
03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
And yet Mexico requires ID to vote....

get out of here with your silly logic! :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Sorry :sad2:

MrsM
03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
As Hal noted we need ID here and it's not a big deal

Teh One Who Knocks
03-13-2012, 10:44 PM

It's a HUGE deal down here...you would think that people were being asked to give up a kidney before they were allowed to vote FFS.

Muddy
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
We have to show ID in Virginia.

DemonGeminiX
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
We have to show ID in Virginia.

Fishing license?

:-k

Hal-9000
03-13-2012, 10:54 PM

I believe the ballots we're sent in the mail are name specific, they indicate what voting station to go to and then you show your ID there.
We can't just saddle up to a voting place and drop our X in the bucket then take off :lol:

MrsM
03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I believe the ballots we're sent in the mail are name specific, they indicate what voting station to go to and then you show your ID there.
We can't just saddle up to a voting place and drop our X in the bucket then take off :lol:

That is true - I believe you also need to prove your address - so Drivers License has that - but if you don't have one you can use a birth certificate and a bill or something that has your name and address on

Goofy
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
In the UK, we get send a card by mail - you take it along to your local polling station and exchange it for your betting slip. No actual ID required

Hal-9000
03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
betting slip :lol:

Goofy
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh ffs, ive got betting on my mind this week :lol: :oops:

Hal-9000
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
pretty accurate description really :lol:

RBP
03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
indeed :lol:

Goofy
03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah, it sure is a gamble :lol:

Godfather
03-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Wow, voting without ID never even occurred to me... that's a bizarre concept. It doesn't just lend to legitimacy, it is what makes it legitimate by ensuring these are the registered, legal citizens they're supposed to be, and preventing whatever fraudulent scheme you can dream of :lol:

Hard to believe that's even a discussion...

Jezter
03-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Yeah, that sounds like our system! I like it cuz it definitely makes it feel more secure.

Midnight_Beacon
03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
They used to have ghost ballots. Politicians would write down the names of folks who had died & then "vote" for them. You can even see it referenced in An American Tail.

Goofy, I like that your betting ticket. Sounds about right. :)

Southern Belle
03-14-2012, 08:17 AM
There's no logical reason to oppose requiring ID to vote. It's just some more of the idiot liberal BS.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Wow, voting without ID never even occurred to me... that's a bizarre concept. It doesn't just lend to legitimacy, it is what makes it legitimate by ensuring these are the registered, legal citizens they're supposed to be, and preventing whatever fraudulent scheme you can dream of :lol:

Supposedly if you are for requiring ID to vote, somehow that makes you a racist and an elitist in this country :roll:

Pony
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Supposedly if you are for requiring ID to vote, somehow that makes you a racist and an elitist in this country :roll:

Lets start a campaign saying if you don't want to show ID you might be a terrorist or a pedophile. Show ID to protect the children!

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Lets start a campaign saying if you don't want to show ID you might be a terrorist or a pedophile. Show ID to protect the children!

I like that idea...there definitely needs to be a counter-campaign :thumbsup:

Southern Belle
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm about sick and tired of tagging everything they don't like as racist.

FBD
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Say the group that stole a few seats in the past couple elections! :roll:

KevinD
03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Bit long, but bear with me:

How do you register?

Registering to vote is easy in Texas. It doesn't even require a stamp! Official applications to register to vote are postage-paid by the State of Texas.

In most Texas counties, the County Tax Assessor-Collector is also the County Voter Registrar. In some counties, the County Clerk or County Elections Administrator registers voters. You may obtain an application from the County Voter Registrar's office, the Secretary of State's Office, libraries, many post offices, or high schools. From our website, you may request that we send you an official, postage-paid application. Or, you may download an informal application, but you will be required to affix a stamp before mailing. You may also register to vote when you apply for or renew your driver's license.

Read the instructions on the form, fill it out and mail it postage-free to the County Voter Registrar, or hand-deliver it to the County Voter Registrar's office.

You must be at least 17 years and 10 months of age on the date you apply. If for any reason you cannot register yourself, with your permission, your spouse, parent or child may fill out and sign an application for you if that person is a registered voter or has applied for voter registration. This person is known as your "agent."

The application must be received in the County Voter Registrar's office or postmarked 30 days before an election in order for you to be eligible to vote in that election. You will receive a voter registration certificate in the mail after the County Voter Registrar has processed your voter registration application. Upon receipt of the voter registration certificate, sign it, fold it and keep in it in your wallet and take it to the polls with you when you vote.

All voters who registered to vote in Texas must provide a Texas driver's license number or personal identification number issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety or the last four digits of your social security number. If you have not been issued any of these numbers, then you must state that fact on the application by checking the designated box.
What if I don't have a driver's license, personal identification number, OR a social security number? Can I still register to vote in Texas?

A voter who has not been issued a driver’s license or social security number may register to vote, but such voter must submit proof of identification when presenting himself/herself for voting or with his/her mail-in ballots, if voting by mail. These voters’ names are flagged on the official voter registration list with the annotation of “ID.” The “ID” notation instructs the poll worker to request a proper form of identification from these voters when they present themselves for voting. Acceptable identification includes:

a driver's license or personal identification card issued to the person by the Department of Public Safety or a similar document issued to the person by an agency of another state, regardless of whether the license or card has expired;
a form of identification containing the person's photograph that establishes the person's identity;
a birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person's identity;
United States citizenship papers issued to the person;
a United States passport issued to the person;
official mail addressed to the person by name from a governmental entity;
a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter; or
any other form of identification prescribed by the Secretary of State.

Voter registration certificate

Once you apply, a voter registration certificate (proof of registration) will be mailed to you within 30 days.
Check your certificate to be sure all information is correct. (If there is a mistake, make corrections and return it to the voter registrar immediately.)
When you go to the polls to vote, present your certificate as proof of registration.
You may vote without your certificate by signing an affidavit at the polling place and showing some other form of identification (for example, driver's license, birth certificate, copy of electric bill).
If you lose your certificate, notify your County Voter Registrar in writing to receive a new one.
You will automatically receive a new certificate every two years, if you haven't moved from the address at which you are registered.

Pay attention to the BOLD text. In Texas, you already have to have a valid ID before you can register to vote, then when voting, you must show your voter registration card, or other approved ID.

Having a law that states you must show ID before voting is somewhat redundant, but being as people are the way they are, I could see some using fraudulent Registration cards. Simply requiring valid ID along with registration card would NOT stop voter fraud. (Illegal aliens or otherwise) Most already have fake drivers licenses and Social Security cards.

IMHO, the uproar about this is much ado about nothing, just another tactic to make us ignore the truly important issues.

Hal-9000
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
You others may not have heard about it...we recently had a voting Watergate of sorts up here.At the last election, groups of people were told that their particular voting location had moved and they were to go here.....

It was all BS mostly arranged by phone.Some people fell for it, others ignored it.Now they're investigating who made the calls - was it the liberals or the conservatives? I believe it affected mostly conservative voters in their ridings..

MrsM
03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
You others may not have heard about it...we recently had a voting Watergate of sorts up here.At the last election, groups of people were told that their particular voting location had moved and they were to go here.....

It was all BS mostly arranged by phone.Some people fell for it, others ignored it.Now they're investigating who made the calls - was it the liberals or the conservatives? I believe it affected mostly conservative voters in their ridings..

I know people that were called (3 of them) and all of them usually vote Liberal - they also answered phone poles earlier when asked which way they were leaning - that they were most likely going to vote Liberal.

From what I have heard - most voters called were Liberal supporters and not Conservatives

Hal-9000
03-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I know people that were called (3 of them) and all of them usually vote Liberal - they also answered phone poles earlier when asked which way they were leaning - that they were most likely going to vote Liberal.

From what I have heard - most voters called were Liberal supporters and not Conservatives

aye, thanks.....the reports I heard were blaming the libs for the calls so I assumed....

MrsM
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
aye, thanks.....the reports I heard were blaming the libs for the calls so I assumed....

Both sides are blaming each other - I think it would be funny if it was the NDP and they are just sitting back laughing at all the finger pointing.

Overall I don't think it really affected the outcome of the election - but I would still like them to get to the bottom of it.

Hal-9000
03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Both sides are blaming each other - I think it would be funny if it was the NDP and they are just sitting back laughing at all the finger pointing.

Overall I don't think it really affected the outcome of the election - but I would still like them to get to the bottom of it.

I had the same thought....third party for sure and they're too busy finger pointing :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Wanna read about what kinda circus it is?

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?30804-UN-rights-council-delves-into-US-voter-I.D.-laws