PDA

View Full Version : New York Times accused of Catholic bashing, double standard on religion

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Fox News

http://i.imgur.com/UfVU8.jpg

The New York Times is being accused of having a double standard when it comes to questioning religion, after it ran an ad calling on Catholics to leave their church, but nixed an ad making the same plea to Muslims.

The newspaper published an ad from Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation on March 9 which asked Catholics, “why send your children to parochial schools to be indoctrinated into the next generation of obedient donors and voters?” The ad went on to call loyalty to the faith misplaced “after two decades of sex scandals involving preying priests, church complicity, collusion and cover-up going all the way to the top.”

But in a story first reported by The Daily Caller, when Pamela Geller, a blogger and executive director of Stop Islamization of America, offered the same $39,000 for the Old Gray Lady to run an ad making a similar appeal to Muslims, the newspaper passed.

"This shows the hypocrisy of The New York Times, the "gold standard" in journalism, and its willingness to kowtow to violent Islamic supremacist intimidation," Geller told FoxNews.com.

Geller said her anti-Shariah ad was designed to mimic the anti-Catholic one. In calling on Muslims to quit their religion, the ad asked “Why put up with an institution that dehumanizes women and non-Muslims … [do] you keep identifying with the ideology that threatens liberty for women and menaces freedom by slaughtering, oppressing and subjugating non-Muslims… Join those of us who put humanity above the vengeful, hateful and violent teachings of Islam’s ‘prophet.’”

“The fallout from running this ad now could put U.S. troops and/or civilians in the [Afghan] region in danger,” Times officials told Geller in a letter dated March 13. The letter said the Times would consider publishing the ad in a few months, and said “we publish this type of advertising, even those we disagree with, because we believe in the First Amendment.”

Bill Donohue, the president of the Catholic League, called the first ad “vile.” But he said running it was a “judgment call.” However, the decision not to run Geller’s ad shows an agenda, he told FoxNews.com.

“It shows the disparate treatment and the duplicity of The New York Times,” Donohue said. “You can trash some religions, like Roman Catholicism, with impunity, but you cannot trash Islam?”

Robert Christie, the Times’ senior vice-president for corporate communications, did not return a call for comment.

http://i.imgur.com/LUnng.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
trash 'em all :tup:

Method512
03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
trash 'em all :tup:

Trash them all? I find this highly disrespectful!! If you don't believe then it's ok, but don't bash and try to generalize religions. Sigh...you non believers will regret when you burn in hell!! Nuff said!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ql_Ljt2lEvA/SVC9zXKkc1I/AAAAAAAAA3I/9o32m2XPdO4/s400/pastafarian.jpg

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
It'll be interesting to see if the NYT will indeed agree to publish the anti-islamic ad once things have cooled down a bit in 'stan.

Pony
03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ql_Ljt2lEvA/SVC9zXKkc1I/AAAAAAAAA3I/9o32m2XPdO4/s400/pastafarian.jpg

:rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
It'll be interesting to see if the NYT will indeed agree to publish the anti-islamic ad once things have cooled down a bit in 'stan.

It's actually quite nauseating when it comes to the double standard with the religions in the world. I am not religious at all, but it even bothers me that it seems to be okay to mock Christianity and Judaism, yet (almost) everyone shies away from Islam.

They need to be uniform in their treatment of religion or just man up and say that the reason that they refuse (are afraid) to take on Islam is because most of the followers tend to be uneducated savages who go out of their way looking for a reason to riot and kill. Religion of peace indeed.

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
It's actually quite nauseating when it comes to the double standard with the religions in the world. I am not religious at all, but it even bothers me that it seems to be okay to mock Christianity and Judaism, yet (almost) everyone shies away from Islam.

They need to be uniform in their treatment of religion or just man up and say that the reason that they refuse (are afraid) to take on Islam is because most of the followers tend to be uneducated savages who go out of their way looking for a reason to riot and kill. Religion of peace indeed.

yeah, this muslim pampering business has gone too far in many places. There's a reason why the christian churches lost many of their power and privileges over the last two centuries, I fail to see why any other religion should be in a better place than they are in.

And it irks me quite a bit when immigrants or converts in western countries demand that freedom of speech or the equal protection clauses should be bent for them so as not to hurt their feelings. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
yeah, this muslim pampering business has gone too far in many places. There's a reason why the christian churches lost many of their power and privileges over the last two centuries, I fail to see why any other religion should be in a better place than they are in.

And it irks me quite a bit when immigrants or converts in western countries demand that freedom of speech or the equal protection clauses should be bent for them so as not to hurt their feelings. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

You know, I would really love to give Islam and Muslims the benefit of the doubt, I really would, but every time even the most minor thing happens, they use the opportunity to riot and kill. All I keep hearing is that most Muslims aren't like that and the vast majority are peaceful and moderate. Well, where are these 'moderate Muslims'? You never hear any Muslim come out and condemn the violence caused by the maniacal Muslims that go berserk at the drop of a hat. And IMHO, if you don't speak out against the violence, then you agree with it, so until they prove me wrong, I am going to keep lumping them all together.

And couldn't agree more with you on your second point. It happens here in the US all the time as well as Europe.

Southern Belle
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
But it's ok to bash Christians as long as you leave the Muslims alone....

Acid Trip
03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
But it's ok to bash Christians as long as you leave the Muslims alone....

Because Christians are taught to turn the other cheek. Muslims are taught to blow themselves up around innocent people in defense of their religion.