PDA

View Full Version : Reason #45123 that some people shouldn't use a GPS unit

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Jeff Freak and Shannon Holloway - The Brisbane Times

http://i.imgur.com/C0vmu.jpg

Three Japanese tourists came unstuck on their planned Australian holiday on Thursday when they abandoned their hire car in Moreton Bay after they tried to "drive" to North Stradbroke Island.

The low tide and a GPS navigation system lured them into the bay at Oyster Point at Cleveland.

A firm gravel surface quickly gave way to the renowned bay mangrove mud and the Hyundai Getz was soon up to its axles, but not before they managed to travel about 500 metres.

http://i.imgur.com/H0WRg.jpg

Their planned adventure to Straddie ended at 11am and the incoming tide soon forced them to seek help and abandon the vehicle.

By 3pm the car was stranded in two metres of water and the subject of much amusement from onlookers on the shore and passing boat and ferry traffic.

The Tokyo students had wanted to take a day trip to Straddie and believed their GPS unit would be able to guide them there. The GPS forgot to mention the 15 kilometres of water and mud between the mainland and the island.

http://i.imgur.com/NJyqB.jpg

Yuzu Noda, 21, said she was listening to the GPS and "it told us we could drive down there".

"It kept saying it would navigate us to a road. We got stuck . . . there's lots of mud."

Yuzu and and her travel friends Tomonari Saeki, 22, and Keita Osada, 21, were all looking forward to a day trip to the island, but headed back to the Gold Coast courtesy of a lift from the RACQ tow truck driver who was called to the stranded car.

After assessing the situation, no attempt was made to recover the vehicle.

A four wheel drive owner who saw the incident contemplated winching out the car, but abandoned any attempt due to the speed of the oncoming tide.

The three students will fly home to Tokyo on Saturday.

"We want to come back to Australia again. Everyone is very nice, even today," Ms Yuzu said.

Mr Tomonari said even though their holiday had ended on an unusual note they were happy no one was injured.

"It has rained every day on our six day holiday. Hopefully next time we come back it will be sunny," he said.

He also joked that the car became stuck because it was built in Korea. "Maybe if it was Japanese it would be okay," he said.

The car was covered by insurance, but will cost the tourists about $1500 in excess charges.

RBP
03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
brilliant!

Hal-9000
03-16-2012, 01:16 AM
*takes out camera*

clicky clicky clicky :)

deebakes
03-16-2012, 01:19 AM
when i was traveling in the netherlands, the gps was continuing to tell us to drive straight... we were at a bridge that needed a ferry to get across :lol:

Muddy
03-16-2012, 05:47 AM
What a couple of maroons!

Joebob034
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
The three students will fly home to Tokyo on Saturday.

why don't they just drive back :-s

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
why don't they just drive back :-s

They left the GPS in the car, they didn't have directions :slap:

Joebob034
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
:doh:

Acid Trip
03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
The low tide and a GPS navigation system lured them into the bay at Oyster Point at Cleveland.

Lured? Really?

Hal-9000
03-16-2012, 07:39 PM
caught that too..."lured"

what kind of bait do you use for really stupid people?

Griffin
03-16-2012, 10:48 PM

http://loscuatroojos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bear-kids.jpg

perrhaps
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Obama's campaign speeches?

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:07 PM
http://loscuatroojos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bear-kids.jpg

great picture :lol:

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Obama's campaign speeches?

oooooh! :burn:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I am trying to wrap my mind around what kind of thinking was going thru their heads at the time this happened. If it's 15 km from the mainland to the island they wanted to go to, even at low tide, you can still see there's nothing but water out there past the mud. Not seeing any roads or trees or anything out in the distance, didn't it cross their mind that maybe they shouldn't just blindly follow the directions of the GPS? :-s

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
How about that couple in Colorado(?) a couple of years ago on the forestry road stuck for two days?

If you're traveling up a mountain and the snow starts getting up past your wheel wells, it's time to hit the GPS common sense button

Teh One Who Knocks
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM
How about that couple in Colorado(?) a couple of years ago on the forestry road stuck for two days?

If you're traveling up a mountain and the snow starts getting up past your wheel wells, it's time to hit the GPS common sense button

Exactly...same thing. I believe that incident you're thinking of was in Oregon, but it could easily happen in this state too with all the Forest Service roads. And what makes those just as stupid as this incident in the OP is that it's really easy to tell that those forest service roads aren't meant for regular travel.

:shakehead:

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Although traveling across a bay at low tide pretty much trumps them all :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I am trying to wrap my mind around what kind of thinking was going thru their heads at the time this happened. If it's 15 km from the mainland to the island they wanted to go to, even at low tide, you can still see there's nothing but water out there past the mud. Not seeing any roads or trees or anything out in the distance, didn't it cross their mind that maybe they shouldn't just blindly follow the directions of the GPS? :-s

:nono:

You must always follow the GPS' instructions. The GPS knows all.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Although traveling across a bay at low tide pretty much trumps them all :lol:

You couldn't even see the island if it was 15 km away FFS :lol:

Hal-9000
that big blue graphic for rivers and lakes on my GPS tips me off that something's up, every time :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks

:slap:

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM

All hail GPS!

*bows head*

DemonGeminiX
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
:slap:

[-(

The Almighty GPS will punish you for that.

DemonGeminiX
03-17-2012, 06:24 PM
All hail GPS!

*bows head*

Hail! Hail!

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:24 PM
is GPS RBP's brother? :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
03-17-2012, 06:27 PM
[-(

The Almighty GPS will punish you for that.

I ain't skeered :hand:

Hal-9000
03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I ain't skeered :hand:

GPS will contact OUIJA through the OCD network :shock:

Oofty Goofty
03-17-2012, 09:09 PM
He also joked that the car became stuck because it was built in Korea. "Maybe if it was Japanese it would be okay," he said.

Or, ..... just maybe a Korean car assumes you're not stupid enough to drive across the fucking ocean!

redred
03-17-2012, 09:21 PM
stuf like this makes me laugh ,when i worked in the pub trade i had to drive to remote places and i did use a sat nav ,once one told me to take a left turn which would have ended with me and my van in the middle of the village duck pond :roll: i learnt to drive before these thing so can understand a road where as the boy we had working for us past his driving test alot later and thinks sat nav's are the dogs balls guest how much fun we had taking the piss out of him for the next 6 months after they dried his van out :lol: