PDA

View Full Version : Fuck Google

Muddy
03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Im gonna stop using them..

--------------------------------------------

'Google is now just an ad company': Departing exec's Goldman Sachs-style rant about how search giant is now obsessed with harvesting people's private information

* Google now wants to 'learn as much about people's private lives as possible'
* Company has 'stopped' being a technology company focused on innovation
* 'When Gmail displays ads based on things in my email it creeps me out'
* CEO Larry Page on 'mission' to beat Facebook

A former Google executive has lambasted his ex-employer in a Goldman Sachs-style rant this week - claiming that the search company has been turned into an 'ad company' obsessed with harvesting people's private information.

http://i.imgur.com/Rg6wJ.jpg

James Whittaker, a current Partner Development Manager at Microsoft and ex-Engineering Director at Google, posted the 1328-word attack on Google on his Microsoft blog this week.

'Perhaps Google is right,' writes Whittaker, 'Perhaps the future lies in learning as much about people’s personal lives as possible.

'The Google I was passionate about was a technology company. The Google I left was an advertising company.'

The move comes in the wake of Google's controversial new 'privacy policy', which allowed the search giant to 'pool' information from 60 separate services including Gmail, Google Search and Android phones, to create 'personalised' advertising.

Google ignored an international outcry to launch its new privacy policy on March 1 this year, despite concerns it may be illegal in the EU, as well as countries such as Japan and South Korea.

European Union authorities said that the new privacy policy appears to violate European law,in an email to Google CEO Larry Page.

A coalition of 50 consumer groups in the UK and the U.S also wrote to Page to protest against the new policy.

Whittaker says that CEO Larry Page, who took over the company from Eric Schmidt, had a focus on 'beating' Facebook in advertising - which led the company to shift its focus from established products such as Google Mail onto its controversial social network Google Plus and other 'social' products built for advertising.

'Google could still put ads in front of more people than Facebook, but Facebook knows so much more about those people. Google took it personally. Larry Page himself assumed command to right this wrong,' says Whittaker.

The American Federal Trade Commission expanded its probe into Google to look at Google's Plus network earlier this year, as part of an investigation into anti-competitive practices.

'The old Google made a fortune on ads because they had good content. It was like TV used to be: make the best show and you get the most ad revenue from commercials. The new Google seems more focused on the commercials themselves,' says Whittaker.

Whittaker was formerly a vocal supporter of Google's products, which he documented in a page on Plus, Google's social network.

He reveals that he now feels that Google has been sacrificed to serve the network.

His full post, hosted on a Microsoft MSDN blog, is below.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2115393/Google-ad-company-Departing-exec-James-Whittakers-Goldman-Sachs-style-rant.html#ixzz1pHlvgyyn

http://i.imgur.com/vEkSz.png

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
*wont stop*

Muddy
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Im sick of their shit man.. They're just a fucking search engine that seems hell bent on becoming skynet...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
They all data mine, thats where the money is.

Muddy
03-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Spread the wealth, Bubba... Don't be a sheep man.. C'mon.. back me on this...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Facebook is worse and has more access to your personal info then google :roll:

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
apple, microsoft and facebook do not seem to be any better. I'd rather pay areasonable fee for a reliable service than see all sorts of my personal data harvested, but the thing is that I can't think of any paid service that's even nearly as good as for instance gmail, google and bing search, android... I really wish the EU would step up their efforts to rein in on privacy invasions through data mining, because other than the US government I fail to see any single national government having the clout to get anything of consequence done here.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Spread the wealth, Bubba... Don't be a sheep man.. C'mon.. back me on this...

What's the difference between Google and any other company out there?

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?28533-Even-Target-knows-your-teenage-daughter-is-a-slut&highlight=target

At least Google is up front about it...and unless you don't use a 'shoppers card' like grocery stores have and always pay in cash, you are tracked everywhere.

Joebob034
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
*wont stop*

*can't stop*

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
*dont stop till you get enough*

Muddy
03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
What's the difference between Google and any other company out there?

Maybe that Googles mining peoples personal friggin emails? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM

Only if you use Gmail....Google has no access to my ISP e-mail account or my Yahoo e-mail account.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

while facebook knows your entire family tree, and everything you do everyday, and everything your friends and family do everyday

Joebob034
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Only if you use Gmail....Google has no access to my ISP e-mail account or my Yahoo e-mail account.

I gave Google all that info

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I gave Google all that info

:slap:

Muddy
03-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Right.. But still if you use gmail they are mining your personal emails.. And they were not upfront about it.. One of their execs. spilt the beans..

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Right.. But still if you use gmail they are mining your personal emails.. And they were not upfront about it.. One of their execs. spilt the beans..

Its fairly obvious when the ads are tailored to the content of the email ;)

Muddy
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Its fairly obvious when the ads are tailored to the content of the email ;)

Enjoy then...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I do, I love it.

Yahoo reads your emails by the way

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/11/yahoo_email_read/

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure if that's correct. If memory serves, gmail automatically scans your messages for key words and subsequently displays taylor made ads. They do not save any of the data from your messages, although their terms and conditions state that they reserve the right to do so in the future.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure if that's correct. If memory serves, gmail automatically scans your messages for key words and subsequently displays taylor made ads. They do not save any of the data from your messages, although their terms and conditions state that they reserve the right to do so in the future.

exactly

Muddy
03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I do, I love it.

Yahoo reads your emails by the way

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/11/yahoo_email_read/

Well that sucks.. And I think you should kiss Sergey Brin with his ol' piss yellow teef..

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
its the future of "free"

Muddy
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
$900 trillion dollars and that mother fucker cant get some crest white strips?

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
$900 trillion dollars and that mother fucker cant get some crest white strips?

he was born in Russia - I bet he's glad he's got a full set of teeth in the first place, regardless of their colour.

Hal-9000
03-16-2012, 05:42 PM
All Google gets from me is my extensive search history on transsexuals....I don't send anything thru gmail, no google account...no nothing.

Muddy
03-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I dont have a gmail account either.. But apparently my Yahoo is no better

Hal-9000
03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I stay protected from most online things...I'm a little paranoid giving out info or having that info violated.

still, it would pain me if someone brought up just my online search history from Google :oops:

Starchild
03-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Am I missing something? I assume Google is a search engine. I type in what I want to look for and it gives me several options. It does what it says on the tin if nothing else. I don't know about all this personal info business - how can it find that out if I'm just searching for tits????

Muddy
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Am I missing something? I assume Google is a search engine. I type in what I want to look for and it gives me several options. It does what it says on the tin if nothing else. I don't know about all this personal info business - how can it find that out if I'm just searching for tits????

Read the article and it all comes to light!

Loser
03-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Im gonna stop using them..

--------------------------------------------

'Google is now just an ad company'

I stopped reading at this, because google has ALWAYS just been an ad company.

It was their first venture after being JUST a search engine, and it's their number one revenue source.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 11:56 PM
:lol:

Muddy
03-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Loser ... Dont pull that shit on me..