PDA

View Full Version : George Clooney ARRESTED During Protest

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 03:42 PM
By the TMZ Staff

http://i.imgur.com/89Crx.jpg

George Clooney has been arrested in Washington, D.C. during a protest over the Sudan crisis.

Clooney was leading a protest in front of the Sudanese embassy in D.C. when he was hauled away by secret service agents.

Clooney's publicist Stan Rosenfield tells TMZ, "They were protesting the violence committed by the government of Sudan on its own innocent men, women and children. They were demanding they allow humanitarian aid into the country before it becomes the largest humanitarian crisis in the world."

Sources connected with George tell us he feels good about the arrest because it puts the spotlight on the crisis.

We're told a dozen people got arrested including congressmen, leaders of the human rights community, Sudanese citizens, Martin Luther King III and George's father ... Nick Clooney.

Clooney recently shot a short documentary about the situation in Suadan, which he released on EnoughProject.com. WARNING -- Video contains VERY graphic content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p89OuPODBMM

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 03:43 PM
:lol:

KevinD
03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
What exactly did they get arrested for? I thought protesting was still legal here?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
What exactly did they get arrested for? I thought protesting was still legal here?

It says they were at the Sudanese embassy, which if they trespassed on, would have been against the law if the embassy complained about it. The embassy is sovereign Sudanese soil as long as they occupy the building.

KevinD
03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I can see that. Still digging for more info though. Haven't found anything yet that states exactly what they were arrested for.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I can see that. Still digging for more info though. Haven't found anything yet that states exactly what they were arrested for.

From the ABC News story:

Movie star George Clooney was led away in handcuffs after storming the Sudanese Embassy protesting the actions of the country's president Omar Al-Bashir, an alleged war criminal.

Godfather
03-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Hmm, interesting. Maybe he really does believe in something. Good for him I guess. I usually figure A-listers are souless and dead inside :lol:

On a related note, I think I saw Occupy protestors this morning... they were lined up outside the Apple store :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Hmm, interesting. Maybe he really does believe in something. Good for him I guess. I usually figure A-listers are souless and dead inside :lol:

On a related note, I think I saw Occupy protestors this morning... they were lined up outside the Apple store :-k

Or he has a new movie coming out

Hal-9000
03-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I think this is around the same area that Childers was working in...

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

moveon.org, attac.info and occupy.org look so much better on a retina display, it's understandable that they have to turn a blind eye on the labour conditions of Aplle's slaves in China.

Arkady Renko
03-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I think this is around the same area that Childers was working in...

some way to the north. if memory serves, Childers' orphanage is located in a region of Uganda that borders on the new country of South Sudan. Since the government of Sudan in Khartoum lost its grasp over that area, the LRA were cut off from their life support and apparently went north to Sudan proper and Central Africa.

In the meantime, the secession of South Sudan didn't end the civil war there because the region of Darfour, where some of the worst human rights abuses keep going on, is still under the control of Khartoum. BTW, the ICC has issued an arrest warrant for Omar al Bacheer, the president of Sudan, which is happily ignored by many other african countries.

Hal-9000
03-16-2012, 04:50 PM
some way to the north. if memory serves, Childers' orphanage is located in a region of Uganda that borders on the new country of South Sudan. Since the government of Sudan in Khartoum lost its grasp over that area, the LRA were cut off from their life support and apparently went north to Sudan proper and Central Africa.

In the meantime, the secession of South Sudan didn't end the civil war there because the region of Darfour, where some of the worst human rights abuses keep going on, is still under the control of Khartoum. BTW, the ICC has issued an arrest warrant for Omar al Bacheer, the president of Sudan, which is happily ignored by many other african countries.

I recall reading he originally went to Sudan and then set up shop north :thumbsup: