PDA

View Full Version : Obama: US launches military action against Libya

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2011, 10:35 PM
By BEN FELLER, AP White House Correspondent

http://i.imgur.com/HTv4Y.jpg

BRASILIA, Brazil – President Barack Obama authorized limited military action against Libya Saturday, saying Moammar Gadhafi's continued assault on his own people left the U.S. and its international partners with no other choice. The Pentagon said 112 cruise missiles were launched from US and UK ships and subs, hitting 20 targets.

Obama said military action was not his first choice.

"This is not an outcome the U.S. or any of our partners sought," Obama said from Brazil, where he is starting a five-day visit to Latin America. "We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy."

A senior military official said the U.S. launched air defenses Saturday with strikes along the Libyan coast that were launched by Navy vessels in the Mediterranean. The official said the assault would unfold in stages and target air defense installations around Tripoli, the capital, and a coastal area south of Benghazi, the rebel stronghold.

Obama declared once again that the United States would not send ground forces to Libya, though he said he is "deeply aware" of the risks of taking any military action.

Earlier in the day, Obama warned that the international community was prepared to act with urgency.

"Our consensus was strong, and our resolve is clear. The people of Libya must be protected, and in the absence of an immediate end to the violence against civilians our coalition is prepared to act, and to act with urgency," Obama said.

Top officials from the U.S., Europe and the Arab world meeting in Paris, where they announced Saturday immediate military action to protect civilians caught in combat between Gadhafi's forces and rebel fighters. American ships and aircraft were poised for action but weren't participating in the initial French air missions.

As the military action was announced, French fighter jets swooped over Benghazi, the opposition stronghold that was stormed by Libyan government forces earlier Saturday, in defiance of a proclaimed ceasefire.

France, Britain and the United States had warned Gadhafi Friday that they would resort to military means if he ignored the U.N. resolution demanding a cease-fire.

The United States has a host of forces and ships in the area, including submarines, destroyers, amphibious assault and landing ships.

The U.S. intended to limit its involvement — at least in the initial stages — to helping protect French and other air missions by taking out Libyan air defenses, but depending on the response could launch additional attacks in support of allied forces, a U.S. official said. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of military operations.

RBP
03-19-2011, 10:59 PM
And we're at war again. *sigh*

Max
03-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I can tell you that it's extremely likely that very little remains of those 20 targets. Most if not all of those cruise missiles were BGM-109 Tomahawks, and they can use both terrain mapping or GPS guidance to find their targets. They are very accurate.

http://i.imgur.com/KK8ez.jpg

Southern Belle
03-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I wasn't sure if Obama had the nuts to take real action against Gadhafi.

RBP
03-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Yeah but what happens after that?

Max
03-20-2011, 01:59 AM
I wasn't sure if Obama had the nuts to take real action against Gadhafi.

In my humble opinion, Obama is all about image, even if it's just a perceived one. With so many nations standing behind these actions, he would have looked like a schmuck if he didn't engage with our military in some manner, and that sort of negative international perception is something he tries to avoid. I also think there is a long history of US presidents having their approval rating sky rocket when they take actions like this, and with his hovering below 50%, I think he'd drop water balloons on Libya if he thought the polls would be kind to him.

Max
03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
TRIPOLI, Libya – Anti-aircraft fire has erupted in the Libyan capital, with volleys of tracer fire arching into the air, marking the start of a second night of allied strikes on the country.

There is no immediate word on the targets in the new round of strikes. The heavy chatter of anti-aircraft defenses began soon after nightfall.

The U.S. military says the first air assault by the U.S. and its allies the night before — including airstrikes by long-range bombers and a shower of Tomahawk cruise missiles — was successful, though it did not fully eliminate the threat from Libyan air defenses.

Arkady Renko
03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah but what happens after that?

I'm afraid the plan is to make that up as they go along?

St. George
03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
The "Allies" made such a good job with sorting out Iraq they just have to work the same wonders with Libya eh.

They have to spend your taxes on summat don't they. Hey, if they didn't spend so much money funding this sort of shite they wouldn't have to collect as much from us. If they didn't have to collect as much from us we wouldn't have to work as long.

I though slavery had been abolished.

Deepsepia
03-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm afraid the plan is to make that up as they go along?

Well, it kinda is up to the Libyans, isn't it? They've said they want this intervention. OK, they got it. Seems to me that we've roped ourselves into a false paradigm -- that if we intervene, that suddenly means we have to do everything from running a kindergarten to teaching people how to run a legal system.

That's our fault. It's possible to have "limited intervention" -- the 1991 Gulf War was limited, for example. We had a mission, we accomplished it, we went home. That's a much better idea.

If our mission here is "take out Qaddafi's Air Force, and degrade his Army" -- well, that we can do, from the air, without getting boots on the ground.

My guess is that the French, particular, have ambitions in Libya that will lead them to a more aggressive intervention. Their overseas ambitions are in Africa, and Tunisia was a sort of colony. Libya was historically closer to Italy, but the French might see an opportunity to displace them.

And for the Brits? Gotta be nostalgia. How could a British military man say no to the opportunity to fight again on some of the 8th Army's celebrated battlefields.

RBP
03-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, it kinda is up to the Libyans, isn't it? They've said they want this intervention. OK, they got it. Seems to me that we've roped ourselves into a false paradigm -- that if we intervene, that suddenly means we have to do everything from running a kindergarten to teaching people how to run a legal system.

That's our fault. It's possible to have "limited intervention" -- the 1991 Gulf War was limited, for example. We had a mission, we accomplished it, we went home. That's a much better idea.

Hard to disagree on that, but idk that "it's up to the Lybians" is going to fly. (pun intended)

There is no organized opposition, and to expect ordinary citizens to structure a government without boots on the ground to at least maintain order seems highly unlikely to me.

Max
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I was just looking at some pics of the three B-2 bombers returning to Missouri after their raid. Geez...those buggers flew to Libya, dropped their bad news, then turned right around and flew back. A 25 hour round trip flight just to drop 45 2,000 lb bombs. I sure hope the air force provides in-flight movies for those boys. That's a long jaunt.

Godfather
03-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Obama and Gadalfi should use twitter to tweet back and forth. It would all make this much more clear. :P

I think everyone is kinda stuck wondering what the end-game here is....

Hal-9000
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
And we're at war again. *sigh*

Will it be a war or just a series of practice bombing runs for the US until Gadhafi starts sending messages from a cave in Canada saying they're winning? :lol:

Hal-9000
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I was just looking at some pics of the three B-2 bombers returning to Missouri after their raid. Geez...those buggers flew to Libya, dropped their bad news, then turned right around and flew back. A 25 hour round trip flight just to drop 45 2,000 lb bombs. I sure hope the air force provides in-flight movies for those boys. That's a long jaunt.

frequent flier air miles :thumbsup:

Max
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Obama and Gadalfi should use twitter to tweet back and forth. It would all make this much more clear. :P

I still think Gadhafi will end up being Hugo Chavez' house boy

RBP
03-21-2011, 09:29 PM

I sure am...

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Free sand for everyone? :-k

Hal-9000
03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
HEY!

sand is up to 50 dollars a barrel in some countries

Max
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Can you buy a Gadhafi bobble-head yet?

Binky
03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
HEY!

sand is up to 50 dollars a barrel in some countries

always pleasant to have coffee blow out one's nose... thanks lol

Max
03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
always pleasant to have coffee blow out one's nose... thanks lol

:fryingpan:

AntZ
03-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Could Obama be Impeached over Libya? Let's ask Biden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adpa5kYUhCA

:-k

lost in melb.
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Could Obama be Impeached over Libya? Let's ask Biden

:-k

I didn't realize that enforcing a UN-supported no-fly zone was the same as invading a country. :-k

Still let's keep an eye on it eh?

AntZ
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I didn't realize that enforcing a UN-supported no-fly zone was the same as invading a country. :-k

Still let's keep an eye on it eh?

Most Americans didn't know that a UN-supported ANYTHING supersedes the U.S. Constitution! :roll:

Just ask that half wit Biden! Even he knows the rules, except when his cronies are in power!