PDA

View Full Version : Kilmarnock player Liam Kelly's father dies after cup final

dmni
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
What was probably the players career highlight to lowest moment imaginably.

The father of a Kilmarnock footballer has died of a suspected heart attack after watching his son's team beat Celtic in the League Cup final.

Midfielder Liam Kelly, 22, was seen running up the tunnel at Hampden after his father collapsed at the end of the club's 1-0 victory on Sunday.

Jack Kelly, 59, collapsed just before 17:00 near the Kilmarnock dugout. He died in hospital a short time later.

His son was told just before Kilmarnock lifted the trophy.

The rest of his team-mates had collected their medals before learning of what had happened.

In the post-match press conference, Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels said: "The dressing room is very despondent and I don't know why the man above sends down these messages to us.

"We are thinking more about Liam than our triumphalism."

After the game, Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell said: "I'm very close to Liam so it just puts things into perspective for me.

"If I could take away my performance I would, if Liam's dad was all right."

Bell and his team-mates had collected their medals before discovering the news.

"It was after getting the cup when I found out," Bell said.

"We were on the pitch and the kit man told me. The rest of the boys didn't realise."

Liam Kelly was born in England - in Milton Keynes - but has played for Scotland at under-18 and under-21 level as both his parents are Scottish.

Mr Kelly Snr was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Police said he died just under an hour later at the Victoria Infirmary in Glasgow.

Goofy
03-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, what a shame for Liam :(