PDA

View Full Version : School Suspends Student After He Shaves Head for Cancer Charity

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
My Fox DC

MORNINGTON, Australia - An Australian schoolboy was suspended after he shaved his head to raise funds for a cancer charity and support a friend who is battling leukemia.

Going beyond a "number two" haircut was against the school's uniform and grooming policy, said school principal Christopher Houlihan of Padua College in Mornington, about 25 miles (40km) southeast of Melbourne.

The Year Nine student received an internal suspension. He went back to school on Monday, but must wear a cap until his hair grows back, the Mornington Peninsula Leader reported.

"He took it on himself to shave his head for a very good cause, he didn't go through school procedures and deal with us first," Houlihan said.

"I've always told students who wanted to support World's Greatest Shave it was OK, as long as hair length was within acceptable levels -- a number two. Then we can also then support them with publicity."

Every March thousands of people shave, color and wax their hair to raise funds for the Leukaemia Foundation in what is one of Australia's biggest fundraising events.

Melbourne radio station 3AW reported that the teenager's act was in support of a friend who is battling leukemia.

Hal-9000
03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
so it was too short?

:facepalm: my how times have changed

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Damn reverse hippies [-(

Hal-9000
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
to the school - HULLOOOO? It was for a very good charity...let it slide you mooks

MrsM
03-19-2012, 10:20 PM
:facepalm: - It's hard enough to gets kids to care about anything why suspend him?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
:facepalm: - It's hard enough to gets kids to care about anything why suspend him?

Because chapter 8, section 10, sub-section 1A, paragraph H states that hair must be a certain length :nono:

deebakes
03-20-2012, 01:25 AM
:axe:

Jezter
03-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Since when has a school had the right to tell how long or short a student's hair must be? And this was a wonderful show of support, and this is how the kid is rewarded? And I thought Aussies were cool and laid back peeps...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
follow the rules you god damn heathen

Godfather
03-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Hope these kids stir shit up and make a mockery of this bullshit :lol:

Morons

DemonGeminiX
03-21-2012, 04:16 AM
One dissenting opinion:

Dress codes have been around as long as schools have. The boy should have known better, being a student at a school with a dress code.

Just the way I see it.

Godfather
03-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Respectfully, I disagree. We're just blind idiots if we can't fathom circumstances in which rules don't apply, don't match their raison d'etre. To a far greater extent, that's why they still stone each other in Iraq for dressing 'emo' (that happened last week, 14 kids dead).

This is just another example of a mind-numbing inability to palliate a minor rule, for the sake of something just and reasonable (in this case, hair for charity)

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but I have to side with DGX on this one. If this school does indeed have a dress code and in the code it states how long or short the hair may be worn, then the kid should have sought out a waiver to the rule before he went and shaved his head, not after.

The school is perfectly in the right here to suspend him.