PDA

View Full Version : Woman pleads guilty on sex charge with teen, receives probation

Teh One Who Knocks
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Written by JESSE BASS - American Staff Writer

http://i.imgur.com/clnH8.jpg

A former Petal High School teacher's guilty plea to having sex with one of her 17-year-old students led to five years of probation on top of five days in jail she already served last year.

Jennifer McCullum, 38, pleaded guilty in Forrest County Circuit Court Tuesday to one count of sexual battery for having sexual intercourse with a minor while in a position of authority.

Petal School District Superintendent John Buchanan said all the incidents occurred off the high school campus.

McCullum was indicted by a Forrest County grand jury on May 14, 2010, and according to her indictment, the intercourse occurred between Nov. 1, 2009, and Jan. 13, 2010.

Buchanan said she was suspended after the district heard of the allegations, at which point a investigation was started.

"Once there was sufficient evidence to corroborate the claim (McCullum's) contract was terminated," he said, adding that such terminations are school policy.

He said the district also succeeded in having her licensure through the Mississippi Department of Education revoked.

Following her guilty plea, Forrest County Circuit Court Judge Robert Helfrich sentenced her to 10 years in the custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections, with all but time served suspended on the successful completion of five years' probation.

McCullum also was ordered to pay a $2,500 fine and a $100 assessment to the Mississippi Crime Victims Compensation Fund.

McCullum was only arrested following her indictment, and only then, more than a year after she was indicted.

After being indicted in May 2010, she was arrested Nov. 23, 2011.

McCullum was then released from the Forrest County Jail on a $25,000 bond Nov. 28.

Acid Trip
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
5 days in jail and 5 years of probation for having sex with a minor. Not just a minor but a student as well. Nice to see we still take that stuff seriously :roll:

RBP
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Travesty.

Joebob034
03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I need a better pic to determine adequate punishment

deebakes
03-27-2012, 02:30 AM
she looks cute enough to be innocent :idk:

Richard Cranium
03-27-2012, 04:35 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/34h9p2f.jpg

Hal-9000
03-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Yep, if I was a man ....:doh:

If I was a male teacher and boned some 17 yr old hottie student at my school, the indictment and job loss wouldn't come after a year.Both would occur the day after charges were laid...and yeah, 5 days served....naughty teacher, naughty...tsk tsk

deebakes
03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
she looks cute enough to be innocent :idk:

http://i41.tinypic.com/34h9p2f.jpg

see? ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Yep, if I was a man ....:doh:

If I was a male teacher and boned some 17 yr old hottie student at my school, the indictment and job loss wouldn't come after a year.Both would occur the day after charges were laid...and yeah, 5 days served....naughty teacher, naughty...tsk tsk

And that's the root of the problem and where I completely agree with RBP. In just looking at teachers for this example (since that seems to be what's in the news on a daily basis), the double standard of the punishment between male and female teaches is staggering. There is no difference between an average 16 year old boy student and a 16 year old girl student other than gender. And if a female teacher has sex with that 16 year old boy student, she (almost always) gets a light sentence which amounts to nothing more than a slap on the wrist. But let it be a male teacher that has sex with a 16 year old female student and he is convicted in the court of public opinion of being a pervert and a pedophile and his life is instantly ruined.

They either need to treat all these cases exactly the same, regardless of gender, or they need to rethink the laws pertaining to teachers caught having sex with teenage students that are above the age of consent (which is 16 in many states here in the US). In 99.9999999% of these cases, the male gets a much harsher sentence than the female and is viewed in a much harsher light than the female.

Hal-9000
03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I do like the name of the charge

"one count of sexual battery for having sexual intercourse with a minor while in a position of authority."

PorkChopSandwiches
03-27-2012, 02:22 PM
thats my favorite position to do

Joebob034
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
:hitit: