PDA

View Full Version : Teen who threatened to blow up school gets OK to play basketball

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2011, 04:48 PM
By Brian L. Cox Special to the Chicago Tribune

Despite objections from prosecutors, a Northbrook teenager who was charged late last year with threatening to blow up two north suburban schools will be allowed to play in a basketball tournament this weekend.

Ryan Ricco, 18, of the 3500 block of Whisperwoods Court, faces felony charges related to allegations that, on Dec. 8, he sent a message on Facebook to a female student at Glenbrook South High School in Glenview, saying he was going to bomb that or school or walk into Glenbrook North High School in Northbrook with a bomb. Ricco was arrested the same day after the girl’s mother reported the message to Glenview police.

Ricco has pleaded not guilty and is free on $250,000 bond. As part of the conditions of his bond, Ricco was also placed on electronic monitoring, which only allows the teenager to leave home to attend Camelot School in Des Plaines.

But during a status hearing in the case at the Skokie courthouse on Thursday, defense attorney Steven Weinberg asked Judge Garritt Howard to change the conditions of Ricco’s bond to allow Ricco to play for Camelot in a basketball tournament at Forest View Educational Center in Arlington Heights this weekend, Cook County State’s Attorney Spokesperson Andy Conklin said Friday.

“The defendant requested to have the terms of his bond modified to allow him to attend a basketball tournament, and the judge granted his request over our objections,” Conklin said.

At the time of Ricco’s arrest, authorities said they found fireworks that had been taped together, and Ricco was also charged with possessing illegally fireworks. Police said the fireworks were not considered powerful enough to warrant a felony fireworks charge.

KevinD
03-21-2011, 05:33 PM
You da bomb dude!

But seriously, first off, what a dumbass...then again, who here didn't threaten to burn or otherwise vandalize a school when you were a kid. I think the problem is that he wasn't just spouting off, he actually had some fireworks ready to go.
As for the basketball, I gotta say, at this point he hasn't been convicted of anything, SOOOoo, if he was already on the team, he should still be allowed to play. Athletics is actually part of his grade. If found convicted, then obviously, not, and at 18, he may not be graduating with the rest of the class.

Hal-9000
03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
He made a bomb threat in text form...I don't think he should be allowed any privileges and certainly should not be able to attend school related functions.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
He made a bomb threat in text form...I don't think he should be allowed any privileges and certainly should not be able to attend school related functions.

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Agree 100% :thumbsup:

are you on fire right now??? :shock:

Noilly Pratt
03-21-2011, 09:09 PM
I agree as well...in these times you have to be sensitive to the world around you, even if you say things in jest, there's a time and a place. That he was "just a kid" or just talking to a friend isn't an excuse.

It's like running around the airport muttering "hijack"...you just don't do it!

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
are you on fire right now??? :shock:

:-k :-k

Hal-9000
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
:-k :-k

different thread...you posted pictures...we were concerned

follow the bouncing ball dammit! :slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Sorry :(

KevinD
03-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Okay, I see where y'all are coming from now. When I first read the article, I thought he sent a message to a fellow classmate, no different in my mind than hanging with your buds or gf talking shit about the school you all go to. I see now he sent it to a student at a different school. That in my mind DOES constitute a valid threat.