PDA

View Full Version : Teen Blames TSA For Broken Insulin Pump

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Diabetic Teen: $10,000 Pump Ruined By TSA's Full Body Scan
Amanda Kost, Reporter - 7 News Denver

DENVER -- Sixteen-year-old Savannah Barry said her $10,000 insulin pump was broken because she was coerced into going through a full-body scan at the airport.

The incident occurred during a security screening at the Salt Lake City airport, when she was returning to Denver from a school trip.

"It’s unacceptable and I don’t want other people to feel the way that I felt. I was humiliated, absolutely humiliated," said Savannah.

Savannah said she approached a TSA agent with a letter from her physician in hand. That letter explained her special medical needs while traveling by air. She said she pointed out her insulin pump and the TSA agent directed her to the full body scan.

"I was like, 'Are you sure that I can go through with this insulin pump? It’s not going to hurt the pump at all?' And she was like, ‘No, no you’re fine.’ So I went through with my pump. Some part of me knew that it wasn’t OK, but when someone in a position of authority is telling you it is, you think that it’s right,” said Barry.

The teen was ushered through the scan, but said she still had to go through a full body pat-down because of fruit juice she had to control blood-sugar levels.

"At that point I was really frustrated because what I really wanted was the pat-down in the first place," said Barry.

"When they saw her juice, they panicked and they didn’t know what to do. A diabetic is going to need a source of sugar, preferably liquid. I can assure you she’s not going to blow up a 737 with an insulin pump and three Capri Sun Juice(s)," said Savannah's mother, Sandra Barry.

As soon as she went through the full-body scan, Savannah said she felt something was wrong.

She called her mother, who called the maker of the insulin pump, Animas.

"They said she’s got to take that pump off as soon as she lands. And my heart just sank, because I know how expensive they are. I knew how upset she would be, and I knew that I had to be the one, when I got to DIA, to tell her," said Sandra.

"They can’t guarantee that the software isn’t damaged by the TSA’s technology that they use, so her blood sugar could run high or her blood sugar could run low. So thankfully, it’s just about a 1 hour flight, a little bit over an hour. So I knew if something was going to be wrong or not working we had a short amount of time that she was in the air," said Sandra.

The diabetic teen said she had to transition to insulin shots the moment her plane landed in Denver.

"Coming off an insulin pump is rough. You never know what is going to happen," Savannah said.

TSA Works With Diabetic Associations, But Training May Not Happen In Field

7NEWS first started asking questions in 2011 when a diabetic traveler claimed TSA confiscated her insulin vials. We found TSA policy clearly states that passengers have a right to fly with their insulin and a right to opt for a pat-down.

TSA issued this statement to 7NEWS: "TSA works regularly with a broad coalition of advocacy groups representing passengers with disabilities and medical conditions to better understand their needs. Signage posted at security checkpoints informs passengers that advanced imaging technology screening is optional for all passengers, including those traveling with medical devices."

Katharine Gordon is a staff attorney for the American Diabetes Association. She said issues with TSA screening have been going on for years.

Gordon said representatives from the American Diabetes Association meet in person with TSA once a year and also have a quarterly conference call about issues. But she said there is a breakdown between TSA training and what happens in the field.

"These aren't isolated incidences. They are occurring across the country, and we think that a way of ending that is to have better training by TSA," said Gordon.

"TSA especially needs to be educated because my life is pretty much in their hands when I walk through a body scan with my insulin pump on," said Savannah.

After 7NEWS started asking questions a representative from TSA reached out to her. They have not connected, but now Savannah has a new pump that was donated by the maker, Animas.

But Savannah said she is not satisfied.

"We want education. We want these TSA agents to be educated about diabetics and about insulin pumps. That’s what’s most important, is that there’s something universal, across the board that these TSA agents all have to follow. That’s really what I want from this," she said.

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 07:44 PM
TSA = LOSES.....they need to get nailed for this one

PorkChopSandwiches
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
TSA = LOSES.....they need to get nailed for this one

For this one? For all of it, this is one of the worst groups yet.....you know how many people the TSA has stopped from causing us harm.....0 thats it, just 0

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I think it's really cool that the company that makes the insulin pump gave her a new one for free

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
they're damn lucky that flight was only an hour....she had to go on insulin injections immediately...could of died in the fuggin plane washroom ffs

Muddy
05-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Maybe this person should find another way to fly..

PorkChopSandwiches
05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, she needs to take a private jet instead of fixing TSA :roll:

Muddy
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
She needs to stay at home...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Maybe she should just remove the pump and die, that would fix everything

Muddy
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
You are a cold and heartless pig turd.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Im being sarcastic about her dying, I think TSA is a big steaming shit pile that hasnt protected us one bit, but instead infringes on our rights on a daily basis.

Muddy
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Im just talking shit... really it must suck total ass to have to deal with that stuff on a daily basis w/o the TSA causing all this strife..

Really it seems like some of these special cases could be pre-approved and present some documentation at the gate for cases like this.

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Im just talking shit... really it must suck total ass to have to deal with that stuff on a daily basis w/o the TSA causing all this strife..

Really it seems like some of these special cases could be pre-approved and present some documentation at the gate for cases like this.

bingo....she had the documents from her doctor and the screener chose not to heed them...

Muddy
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
bingo....she had the documents from her doctor and the screener chose not to heed them...

I would reject that as well. We have 25 million doctors here in the US..

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
I would reject that as well. We have 25 million doctors here in the US..

So you're TSA....you see a girl with a medical device hooked into her body and she has a doctor's note saying the scanner will damage it....

and you reject THAT? On what grounds? :lol:

Hope you never suffer from a brain aneurism and have to get a metal shunt installed....

Muddy
05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Hope you never suffer from a brain aneurism and have to get a metal shunt installed....

Thanks for the well wishes! I hope you never fall into a river with concrete shoes on.. :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the well wishes! I hope you never fall into a river with concrete shoes on.. :thumbsup:

Oh don't be like that...it was an analogy.Your last 6 posts or so make it seem like people with medical conditions should be treated badly by the scanners...

Part of the article states that TSA employees have been trained regarding diabetes and that passengers with medical devices are allowed to opt for the pat down.
It's all fun and games until that pacemaker gives out.....

Muddy
05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Like I said before, If it's such a serious life threatening scenario there needs to be a pre-screening process that takes place if she cant handle the rigamarole of the general harassment we all get..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Spread out you numbskulls :x

:stooges:

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Like I said before, If it's such a serious life threatening scenario there needs to be a pre-screening process that takes place if she cant handle the rigamarole of the general harassment we all get..

and like I said...the doctor's note should probably cover that if the screeners are too pig fucking headed to notice the device sticking out of her body :lol:

btw, cement shoes is a mob description, nothing to do with medical :winkylickey:

Muddy
05-08-2012, 09:53 PM
and like I said...the doctor's note should probably cover that
:

I disagree.. Al Zawahiri is a doctor too... Doesn't mean his scriblings should skirt someone through the process..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I disagree.. Al Zawahiri is a doctor too... Doesn't mean his scriblings should skirt someone through the process..

:ffs:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM

That argument's a bit of a stretch. Al Zawahiri isn't licensed to practice in any US state.

:lol:

Muddy
:ffs:

I think what happened to this girl was wrong, but really.. Have you flown lately? Its a friggin Zoo... :lol:

Muddy
That argument's a bit of a stretch. Al Zawahiri isn't licensed to practice in any US state.

So what validifies this girls note? ( to be devils advocate)

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Not sure of the reference....but when a medical device can be harmed by a scanner, TSA is way out of line...in this case.

This isn't just a woman wearing a baggy dress. Daily courier here has the same setup/device.It connects to a literal hole in his chest :lol: There is no room for - I wonder if he's smuggling? :lol:

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
I think what happened to this girl was wrong, but really.. Have you flown lately? Its a friggin Zoo... :lol:

:doh: well then ffs take your Skittles and stop being a douche about the poor girl :lol:

Muddy
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Id hate to be TSA... People are complete loons...

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
So what validifies this girls note? ( to be devils advocate)

Seriously? Probably a letterhead with the doctor's name and practice location, plus license number... all of which can be verified quite easily.

Muddy
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
all of which can be verified quite easily.

Have you flown lately? :lol:

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Seriously? Probably a letterhead with the doctor's name and practice location, plus license number... all of which can be verified quite easily.

*note from hal's doctor*

hal needs his Oxy to fly,
thanks

Muddy
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
*note from hal's doctor*

thanks

Exactly... Go verify that one.. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rR7WG.jpg

Yeah, she definitely looks like a terrorist :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Have you flown lately? :lol:

No, and I refuse to. The whole rigamarole is ridiculous and undignifying.

Muddy
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Hey man I have no problem with racial profiling.. I'm just playing by the rules.. :lol:

Richard Cranium
Id hate to be TSA... People are complete loons...

Don't blame the victims.

Muddy
No, and I refuse to. The whole rigamarole is ridiculous and undignifying.

I fly only when required.. work etc..

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
*note from hal's doctor*

thanks

On a 3x5 note card, written in magic marker with sparkles, no less.

Muddy
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
It must really be a lot of radiation in those machines to kill an insulin pump...

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I fly only when required.. work etc..

Honestly, the last time I flew back in 2008, I thought it was pretty easy. But after all of these horrid articles and finding out what kind of substandard training these GED cats go through, listening to shit that family members go through all the time... no way. It's just not worth it.

Muddy
05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Honestly, the last time I flew back in 2008, I thought it was pretty easy. But after all of these horrid articles and finding out what kind of substandard training these GED cats go through, listening to shit that family members go through all the time... no way. It's just not worth it.

They treated me fine, but it's mega high volume and these people are just trying to get you through to quiet down the belligerent assholes in line...

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
They treated me fine, but it's mega high volume and these people are just trying to get you through to quiet down the belligerent assholes in line...

If you're flying out of LaGuardia or some other similar nightmare of an airport, I can see it. I mean, those kinds of airports were terrible before Sept 11th 2001. But JAX is a breeze, comparatively speaking. I've never had a problem in Philly, either.

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM

fuck me...I'd inject some sugar into that :drool:

Hal-9000
05-08-2012, 10:27 PM

You ever catch my recent post about my best bud who just went to England? Supposed to be a direct flight back from Gatwick to Calgary...they waited over 2 hours on the runway, then went north to Manchester, then sat there for 4 hours. Over 7 hours from departure time and not a word to the passengers.

I guess a large group on the plane were unruly, he got up to ask the flight attendant about the delay, she kicked him and his son off the plane! Said - He was making her uncomfortable.That was it, no other explanation.

You'd have to know this guy....always positive, I've never heard him raise his voice...just a really passive individual.

Muddy
05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
You ever catch my recent post about my best bud who just went to England? Supposed to be a direct flight back from Gatwick to Calgary...they waited over 2 hours on the runway, then went north to Manchester, then sat there for 4 hours. Over 7 hours from departure time and not a word to the passengers.

I guess a large group on the plane were unruly, he got up to ask the flight attendant about the delay, she kicked him and his son off the plane! Said - He was making her uncomfortable.That was it, no other explanation.

You'd have to know this guy....always positive, I've never heard him raise his voice...just a really passive individual.

What's that got to do with the TSA though?

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 02:23 AM
What's that got to do with the TSA though?

well it's a two part tie in...

first, you said this - They treated me fine, but it's mega high volume and these people are just trying to get you through to quiet down the belligerent assholes in line...

and my friend got tossed off a plane at a British airport (they knew full well he was from Canada) for doing what amounts to asking a question. Others in the plane were far more vocal and belligerent.

Also, it's the absolute power that scares me....both in the TSA screening people and the flight attendant in each case. The TSA people made a call that was wrong and endangered someone's life, the flight attendant made snap decision and threw two people visiting the country off at an airport. Buddy said he didn't raise his voice, had his hands to himself and stayed 3 feet away from the group of flight attendants who were chatting.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Your buddy shoulda just given them the ol' crazy eyes :tup:

http://i.imgur.com/FQViT.gif

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 02:31 AM
I asked him flat out if he gapped for 10 minutes or had a hidden personality...He said no :lol:

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 02:32 AM
He did say the Scottish guy on the plane was loud and hilarious

Godfather
05-09-2012, 03:04 AM
I think it's really cool that the company that makes the insulin pump gave her a new one for free

Agreed!! There's something SO awesome about corporate philanthropy like that.

Unrelated, but here in BC a container washed up on shore that contained a badly damaged Harley Davidson. Turned out to be from the Japan Tsunami, it belonging to a man who lost 3 family members and bobbed over this way from his yard after over a year. It stayed afloat thanks to several inches of insulation in the container. Long story short, Harley Davidson is going to fix it up and ship it back to this poor guy in Japan.