PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina voters ban gay marriage, civil unions

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
By Liz Goodwin | The Ticket

North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, according to the AP's projection. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent with most counties reporting, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state. Former President Bill Clinton urged the state's voters not to support the amendment in robocalls, while President Barack Obama's office said he was also against the change.

Supporters of gay marriage out-raised and out-advertised their opponents in the lead up to the vote, emphasizing in TV ads that the amendment could also have repercussions for unmarried straight couples because of its vague language. The anti-amendment coalition raised more than $2 million, according to campaign finance disclosures, most of which came from small and large individual donations. The pro-amendment crowd, called Vote for Marriage NC, raised a little more than $1 million, with most of the money being donated by nonprofit groups, not individuals.

Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions.

Minnesota faces a ballot gay marriage ban in November, while Maine activists are hoping that residents have changed their minds and will vote to approve gay marriage this November after repealing its legalization in 2009. Lawmakers in Maryland, Washington and New Jersey passed laws legalizing same-sex marriage this year, though Gov. Chris Christie vetoed New Jersey's law.

Southern Belle
05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I feel strongly about lots of issues, but this is not one of them.
The only thing that irritates me is the bunch whiners on facebook. Ashamed to live in NC, blah blah blah. Move to one of the FEW states that allow gay marriage, I say.
And calling conservatives ignorant. I think the liberals are ignorant.

Just venting.

RBP
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't think there's been any state that has approved gay marriage by ballot initiative, only by legislative action. Right?

It's an interesting to follow, especially with Biden now weighing in on a national level. I am not sure why Obama has decided to make this an issue for November since it seems to be a loser for him at the ballot box.

Southern Belle
05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Because he's an idiot?

RBP
05-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Because he's an idiot?

:lol: oh yeah, that's right.

Southern Belle
05-09-2012, 02:54 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
So stupid, I love how people feel the need to be so involved in other peoples lives and decisions.

SAVE THE CHILDREN, THEY'RE ALL GOING TO GET THE GAY

RBP
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
So stupid, I love how people feel the need to be so involved in other peoples lives and decisions.

We're all involved in each other's lives, that's what laws are by definition.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM

http://i.imgur.com/M2Abr.jpg

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I hear that they have Jewish people in NC :shock:

true story

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
We're all involved in each other's lives, that's what laws are by definition.

Its one thing for a law to protect the people, like traffic laws and laws against violence....What is this protecting?

RBP
05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Its one thing for a law to protect the people, like traffic laws and laws against violence....What is this protecting?

Societal structure and standards, same as many other laws, including bans on polygamy.

minz
I don't see any wrong in two people getting married or forming a civil partnership what ever their gender. :dunno:

RBP
I don't see any wrong in two people getting married or forming a civil partnership what ever their gender. :dunno:

why not three?

Godfather
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Personally I think this is despicable. We all know equality is coming, and rightfully so. I fail to see how this is different than voting against interracial marriage or other previous equality issues we now view as basic.... whoever holds out longest should be the most embarrassed.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
why not three?

I dont care, have 12 wives and 4 husbands. What the fuck does it matter

minz
05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I was under the impression it was to do with monogamous relationships, did I misread it?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I was under the impression it was to do with monogamous relationships, did I misread it?

No, RBP just hates the gays so he will be bringing animal marriage into this discussion next ;)

Muddy
05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think there's been any state that has approved gay marriage by ballot initiative, only by legislative action. Right?

You make a very powerful point here..

RBP
05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
No, RBP just hates the gays so he will be bringing animal marriage into this discussion next ;)

:lol: I don't hate the gays....

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
:dance:

KevinD
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Seems to me, all NC did was add an amendment to their state constitution so that a Judge couldn't overturn a pre-existing law. While I have no specific problem with gay marriage, I DO understand that this is a State decision, NOT a Federal one. Texas already has in our constitution the definition of marriage as being Man and Woman, so there is zero ambiguity here. I have friends who are Gay, and they are always trying to get me to sign petitions, etc to get a bill sponsored to allow gay marriage in Texas. I keep trying to explain it to them that in order to pass such a law, they first have to get the Texas Constitution changed. Some of them get it, and some don't

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bI5Lr.png

I think Will summed it up pretty well right here

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XGJff.gif

Muddy
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
What if your cousin is your gay lover?

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
What if your cousin is your gay lover?

Is Hee-Haw being re imagined? Love that show..

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bI5Lr.png

I think Will summed it up pretty well right here

this is awesome considering the source :lol:

RBP
05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
The President just said in an interview that he personally is in favor of same sex marriage being legal.

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
That may cost him the election.

Muddy
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Didnt he state the opposite when he was elected last time? Like he supported civil unions but not actual marriage..?

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
That may cost him the election.

It'll be one of three things.

1) Gay Marriage
2) His signature legislation (Obamacare) being overturned right before the election
3) The DOJ suit against Arizona ending in favor of Arizona

KevinD
05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Obama has stated many times that he is against gay marriage. Typical craw-fishing from him. Anything at all to detract from the results of the last few years failed policies.

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM

1) Gay Marriage
2) His signature legislation (Obamacare) being overturned right before the election

Not the fact that he single-handedly ran the United States into economic ruin? (that's what I hear from a few sources here..)

Muddy
05-09-2012, 07:41 PM

1) Gay Marriage

What about the deficit?

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Yaaa!

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Not the fact that he single-handedly ran the United States into economic ruin? (that's what I hear from a few sources here..)

It's only $15 trillion, we'll hold a bake sale :hand:

Muddy
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Nah. Bush did that. This ship was sinking when Obummer jumped on board.

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 07:48 PM

I am kinda onboard with that thought :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 07:55 PM

You do realize that his budget deficits for his 3-1/2 years in office is more than every single other president combined, right?

Probably still Bush's fault somehow I'm sure :-k

Muddy
05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
You do realize that his budget deficits for his 3-1/2 years in office is more than every single other president combined, right?

Was he supposed to stimulate the economy with his own money?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 08:00 PM
What about the deficit?

What about the surplus

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 08:00 PM

So was Bush's before that

Muddy
05-09-2012, 08:05 PM
What about the surplus

What about the children in Africa that don't have ipods?

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
and the ghey African children that can't get married in NC :sad2:

*without iPods* :(

Muddy
05-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Boooo hooo hoo hoo.. :(

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/7/deficit-streak-ends-obama-first-monthly-surplus/

The federal government broke its record deficit streak in April, notching its first monthly surplus since the end of the Bush administration, according to preliminary estimates released Monday.

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
What about the deficit?

I don't think the deficit will be the nail in the coffin. It doesn't alienate a single group of people as much as the three I suggested.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 10:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mifdG.jpg

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
man...those celebs have some good, direct tweets :lol:

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Gay marriage doesn't affect anyone just like my smoking weed in the privacy of my own home doesn't hurt anyone.

The problem is we've got two large groups of people who think they know how others should live their lives. They are called Republicans and Democrats.

Muddy
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Gay marriage doesn't affect anyone just like my smoking weed in the privacy of my own home doesn't hurt anyone.

The problem is we've got two large groups of people who think they know how others should live their lives. They are called Republicans and Democrats.

I think more the issue is the shoving it down everyone's throat..

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Is it shoving it down people's throats though if you're gay and your state won't allow you to marry the partner you love?

I think that's more fighting for the same rights that others already have...

Muddy
05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Is it shoving it down people's throats though if you're gay and your state won't allow you to marry the partner you love?

I think that's more fighting for the same rights that others already have...

No but this shit turns normal people off when they turn it loose.. A bit faggot fest..

http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/aaaaaaaaaaapride.jpg

minz
05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I dont find that the least bit offensive, maybe thats just me but then I'm a live and let live kind of girl, I very much dislike religion but I would never want to stop anyone from making it part of their lives, I just dont think that one person has the right to dictate to another person if nobody is actually being harmed, its like saying my way or no way and to me thats a pretty selfish approach.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 10:49 PM
No but this shit turns normal people off when they turn it loose.. A bit faggot fest..

Yup, I have no problem with gay people...except for the ones that try and throw it in your face like this.

By the same token, I don't wanna see straight people doing it either...your sexual orientation/personal life is private and it should be kept that way.

Muddy
05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I dont find that the least bit offensive, maybe thats just me but then I'm a live and let live kind of girl, I very much dislike religion but I would never want to stop anyone from making it part of their lives, I just dont think that one person has the right to dictate to another person if nobody is actually being harmed, its like saying my way or no way and to me thats a pretty selfish approach.

At the end of the day though if the people vote yes on a referendum then fine.. But until then the people have spoken!

RBP
05-09-2012, 11:02 PM
At the end of the day though if the people vote yes on a referendum then fine.. But until then the people have spoken!

:+1:

and spoken repeatedly in many states.

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 11:20 PM

yes but is that an equal rights for marriage demonstration or a Pride parade celebrating flamboyancy? I think they are two entirely different issues...

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 11:21 PM
damned nice uniforms btw..

KevinD
05-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Exactly.
I could care less if Gays want to get married. However, if the couple live in a state where it is illegal, then there is a proper procedure to get the law changed. The problem (imho) is that the openly gay population isn't all that large proportionally, therefore, in order to get the law(s) changed (or State constitution amended) They will need the help of straight people. Acting like ass clowns, and forcing their view point down others throats, is not the right way to go about getting that support. At least for me it's not.

RBP
05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Exactly.
I could care less if Gays want to get married. However, if the couple live in a state where it is illegal, then there is a proper procedure to get the law changed. The problem (imho) is that the openly gay population isn't all that large proportionally, therefore, in order to get the law(s) changed (or State constitution amended) They will need the help of straight people. Acting like ass clowns, and forcing their view point down others throats, is not the right way to go about getting that support. At least for me it's not.

Ass clowns forcing it down throats! :lol:

That was a good laugh.

Muddy
05-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I've seen so many puns in here...:lol:

KevinD
05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Ass clowns forcing it down throats! :lol:

That was a good laugh.

I've seen so many puns in here...:lol:

Mine in this case were indeed intended... Trying to keep it light and not start a flame war. lol

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:00 PM

:+1:

and spoken repeatedly in many states.

I would like separate bathrooms and drinking fountains for them as well

Muddy
05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I would like separate bathrooms and drinking fountains for them as well

Get out of here you ol' niggah..

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
read through this thread and replace gay with black, you will see my point

Muddy
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Ok, Kermit.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb188/laquandra_henry/Kermit.gif

Godfather
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/143hmp5.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I despise that jerk off

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2012, 04:04 PM

http://i.imgur.com/JzCqT.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
:dance:

Godfather
05-11-2012, 03:28 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/149tw1.jpg

RBP
05-11-2012, 04:02 AM

I think that's a bullshit argument, always have... it's not the same thing.

RBP
05-11-2012, 04:03 AM

Another straw man argument. If it sucks so bad then why do they want to be part of it?

Godfather
05-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Another straw man argument. If it sucks so bad then why do they want to be part of it?

How so? This character has the right to be a moral crusader for the sanctity of marriage? It's a bunch of hypocritical bs. He has no more claim to the union of marriage than two men or two women who want to give it a shot - that's the point.

I think that's a bullshit argument, always have... it's not the same thing.

Again how so?! Telling a gay couple they can't be married is less offensive than it was to an interracial one? If that's true, I need far more elaboration because IMO it couldn't be more relevant. And if we had a crystal ball, I'd bet good money that future generations will look back in agreement and be embarrassed.

FBD
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM

and here I interpreted that as he was being a nice guy for caving in to his woman saying "marry me marry me marry me marry me marry me marry me marry me marry me" :dance:

FBD
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/7/deficit-streak-ends-obama-first-monthly-surplus/

:P do ya know they actually had to play with WHEN the stats were taken for the month in order to obtain that result? :lol: like with everything else, there's a game behind it...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gNgnB.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2012, 01:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CZHeU.jpg

FBD
05-11-2012, 04:14 PM
:lol: How's about the word it comes from...what do two gay guys have to do with the concept of matrimony? I've always maintained that there's not a damn thing wrong with civil unions. In fact, "more equal" would be all are civil unions unless people are having kids.

This concept of "own the language, own the issue" is fucking preposterous. That's all this is, is an attempt to "own the language and thus shape the debate."

And btw, this thread has an incorrect title - NC voted to ban gay marriage a while ago - this vote was to define it as between a man and a woman - and wow look at that, it passed overwhelmingly. Just like it did in 32 other states including progressive utopia Calfornia, until a judge there decided he could write law.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
:lol: How's about the word it comes from...what do two gay guys have to do with the concept of matrimony? I've always maintained that there's not a damn thing wrong with civil unions. In fact, "more equal" would be all are civil unions unless people are having kids.

This concept of "own the language, own the issue" is fucking preposterous. That's all this is, is an attempt to "own the language and thus shape the debate."

And btw, this thread has an incorrect title - NC voted to ban gay marriage a while ago - this vote was to define it as between a man and a woman - and wow look at that, it passed overwhelmingly. Just like it did in 32 other states including progressive utopia Calfornia, until a judge there decided he could write law.

So please explain to me how 2 gay people getting married affects you personally. Or any other individual person for that matter...how does gay marriage affect their life?

minz
05-11-2012, 04:34 PM
:popcorn:

Noilly Pratt
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I have gay friends who just got married. They have every right to be happily ever trapped in holy headlock, er I mean happily ever wed in holy wedlock as I do! :)

Their homosexual union does not affect the sanctity, or validity of my heterosexual union one bit and vice versa.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
So please explain to me how 2 gay people getting married affects you personally. Or any other individual person for that matter...how does gay marriage affect their life?

Muddy will tell you the thought of what 2 GUYS (not women) do in the privacy of the bedroom is so repulsive to him it must be stopped so it doesnt conjure images into his mind.

Acid Trip
05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
My only question to gay people is why they must use the word marriage when it pisses so many people off. Religious groups think they own the word marriage (which is false) so there will forever be resistance to gay people using that term.

Would a gay black person be offended if I called them nigger? I'm pretty sure they would. So how is me not using the word nigger any different from them not using the word marriage?

FBD
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM

The relationship itself, no facet of that affects me. The neverending progressive war on language, individual freedoms, etc, why yes, sooner or later the endless creep of "we know best how to tell every single last one of you to live your life" will reach you. Sorry for placing this in a larger context, but this is a small bit of the puzzle.

Hal-9000
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
careful with the N-bombs AT....Muddy is African American Black Negro Mulatto and he'll get his Irish up if he reads that...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
My only question to gay people is why they must use the word marriage when it pisses so many people off. Religious groups think they own the word marriage (which is false) so there will forever be resistance to gay people using that term.

Would a gay black person be offended if I called them nigger? I'm pretty sure they would. So how is me not using the word nigger any different from them not using the word marriage?

The relationship itself, no facet of that affects me. The neverending progressive war on language, individual freedoms, etc, why yes, sooner or later the endless creep of "we know best how to tell every single last one of you to live your life" will reach you. Sorry for placing this in a larger context, but this is a small bit of the puzzle.

Why is the "word" so important to you to be protected?

Hal-9000
05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
My friend (who is a hardcore Christian) said the same thing as some here...he believes that gays should have the right to get married, but call it 'Narriage' or something similar. He was completely serious.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Did you even read what you wrote? :-s

Banning gay marriage is a war on individual freedoms. It's banning a freedom that only people of a certain sexual orientation can't partake of. And a war on words? FFS, name me one word in recorded history (that's still in use and not a scientific term...better make that point or else you will no doubt try and be flippant about it) where the definition hasn't changed at least slightly.

You are using a straw man and are failing. You have not demonstrated one single shred of evidence as to how gay people getting married affects anyone else on this whole planet.

Acid Trip
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Why is the "word" so important to you to be protected?

It's not to me but several billion people will tell you otherwise.

Can those billions of people logically defend their stance? Not really, but most people can't backup the shit they say.

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
How so? This character has the right to be a moral crusader for the sanctity of marriage? It's a bunch of hypocritical bs. He has no more claim to the union of marriage than two men or two women who want to give it a shot - that's the point.

It's not hypocritical. There has always been this backwards argument that because so many marriages end in divorce, then of course there's no sanctity so why not open it up. It's a fallacious argument. The goal shouldn't be to use poor marriage performance as the guide for when it's ok to say there is no sanctity, the goal should be to improve marriage performance.

I am no defender of Rush, but arguing that the President is making an assault on traditional marriage is perfectly fine with me. He is, no matter if you agree with him or disagree with him.

Again how so?! Telling a gay couple they can't be married is less offensive than it was to an interracial one? If that's true, I need far more elaboration because IMO it couldn't be more relevant. And if we had a crystal ball, I'd bet good money that future generations will look back in agreement and be embarrassed.

Yes, it's apples and oranges to me. Marriage isn't a civil right. If it were there would be no restrictions at all, which of course there are and still will be if gay marriage becomes legal nation wide. It's just not about civil rights. That argument is using the anger and guilt of the civil rights era to try and make people flinch. I haven't flinched.

It's simply about societal standards. If you want a successful, functioning society, there has to be limits drawn. It's a fall of the roman empire thing to me; we slowly erode societal standards until there's nothing left. Now don't come back with some "chicken little" argument. I am not saying gay marriage is the end of our society - I am saying that we need standards and the only way they ever seem to move is to the left of center. Eventually the needle gets too far left for my liking.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Here FBD, let me put it this way....you think drugs should be legalized, correct?

So how is that any different than gay marriage? You sure have a rather loud opinion whenever someone comes up on the side of keeping drugs illegal.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
The goal shouldn't be to use poor marriage performance as the guide for when it's ok to say there is no sanctity, the goal should be to improve marriage performance.

What makes you think this isnt whats happening ;)

It's simply about societal standards. If you want a successful, functioning society, there has to be limits drawn. It's a fall of the roman empire thing to me; we slowly erode societal standards until there's nothing left. Now don't come back with some "chicken little" argument. I am not saying gay marriage is the end of our society - I am saying that we need standards and the only way they ever seem to move is to the left of center. Eventually the needle gets too far left for my liking.

But you are in fact saying its the fall of society, otherwise this argument is invalid.

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Here FBD, let me put it this way....you think drugs should be legalized, correct?

So how is that any different than gay marriage? You sure have a rather loud opinion whenever someone comes up on the side of keeping drugs illegal.

Sorry to answer a direct question to FBD, but it's not different. It's a further erosion of societal standards just like gay marriage. Good point Lance. :lol:

Now having said that I have also changed my opinion on this board regarding marijuana in the interest of full disclosure - no need to find the quotes, I admitted it. ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry to answer a direct question to FBD, but it's not different. It's a further erosion of societal standards just like gay marriage. Good point Lance. :lol:

Now having said that I have also changed my opinion on this board regarding marijuana in the interest of full disclosure - no need to find the quotes, I admitted it. ;)

Hahahahaha what? So you are on board with weed eroding society but not gay marriage ?

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
What makes you think this isnt whats happening ;)

But you are in fact saying its the fall of society, otherwise this argument is invalid.

I don't understand the first response, sorry.

for the second: Nudists should be allowed to roam the streets. It's their civil right.

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Hahahahaha what? So you are on board with weed eroding society but not gay marriage ?

To an extent, yes.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't understand the first response, sorry..

Im saying maybe same sex marriage will make marriage more successful (statistically)

Acid Trip
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I'll make one last comment on this thread. It's a good one ;)

Society has ALWAYS avoided using words that cause people anguish. N*gger is an affront to black people so we avoid it. W*etback is an affront to Hispanics so we avoid it. Ch*nk is an affront to Asians so we avoid it.

The word "marriage" when describing the union of two gay people causes anguish to almost every religion in the world. So because it's religions that are offended it's somehow different than races of people?

Hello double standard!

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Im saying maybe same sex marriage will make marriage more successful (statistically)

Oh so now the argument is that homosexual couples are statistically more "successful" that hetero couples? If you hadn't just completely just made that up, I'd argue it. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Oh so now the argument is that homosexual couples are statistically more "successful" that hetero couples? If you hadn't just completely just made that up, I'd argue it. :lol:

Im not saying that at all, I was just responding to your comment "the goal should be to improve marriage performance." Maybe this would be an improvement ;)

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I'll make one last comment on this thread. It's a good one ;)

Society has ALWAYS avoided using words that cause people anguish. N*gger is an affront to black people so we avoid it. W*etback is an affront to Hispanics so we avoid it. Ch*nk is an affront to Asians so we avoid it.

The word "marriage" when describing the union of two gay people causes anguish to almost every religion in the world. So because it's religions that are offended it's somehow different than races of people?

Hello double standard!

Even *I* disagree with you on that. It's not the word. It's mainstreaming an alternative lifestyle - even Lance gets sick of all the gay shit in TV shows.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
- even Lance gets sick of all the gay shit in TV shows.

What are you talking about, he loves Glee :dance:

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Im not saying that at all, I was just responding to your comment "the goal should be to improve marriage performance." Maybe this would be an improvement ;)

well then you ARE saying that, silly man. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Even *I* disagree with you on that. It's not the word. It's mainstreaming an alternative lifestyle - even Lance gets sick of all the gay shit in TV shows.

I dont like watching man/man action that showtime feels the need to put in all their shows now, but I dont see how thats the point.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
well then you ARE saying that, silly man. :lol:

Not with proof, just a what if

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Not with proof, just a what if

what if Muddy enjoys sucking cock? No proof, just a what if.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
I bet if he tried it, he would enjoy it more then he thinks

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
I dont like watching man/man action that showtime feels the need to put in all their shows now, but I dont see how thats the point.

In my mind it's part of the same process.

RBP
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I bet if he tried it, he would enjoy it more then he thinks

ok, unwanted visual. :nono:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Bwhahahahah

Muddy
05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
*defriends*

Acid Trip
05-11-2012, 06:33 PM

I disagree with your disagreement. I know hundreds of people who are for civil unions but against calling them marriage. If I know hundreds then there are a lot more where that came from.

Besides, FBD and I have been arguing the word and not idea of gay people getting married. Like I said before, I can give two shits if two gay people want to get married. What they do doesn't affect me at all.

Hal-9000
05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I think the whole issue is absurd....for a long time gays have had the reputation for having 'loose' relationships, multiple partners.

So now they want to commit and do it in the 'regular', conservative fashion that we're all accustomed to. I say let them and treat marriage as a union between two people that love each other...end of story.