PDA

View Full Version : Questions surface about Denver parking tickets

Teh One Who Knocks
03-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Written by Jeffrey Wolf - 9 News Colorado

DENVER - Lynn Archuleta says you might want to think twice before automatically paying your next parking ticket. Archuleta's ticket was dismissed last week after she proved her meter was not expired when a parking enforcement officer wrote her ticket.

Archuleta told 9NEWS she had more than one hour left on her parking meter in the 1200 block of Elati Street last week, but the parking enforcement agent issued her a citation anyway.

"One hour and two minutes left," she said. "It was blinking green."

Archuleta says she flagged down the man who wrote her the ticket, Officer Michael Maestas, and told him her meter was not expired.

"[He said] you're blinking red. You're expired. Just pay the ticket," Archuleta said.

When 9NEWS caught up with Archuleta during his shift Tuesday afternoon, he declined to comment.

Denver Public Works spokesperson Christine Downs was unable to provide any information when contacted Tuesday afternoon. Downs says she planned to investigate Archuleta's case.

"I was just furious," Archuleta said. "And then it dawned on me."

Archuleta had paid the meter with her credit card. She took her statement into traffic court the following day and was able to prove that her meter wasn't expired, as Maestas claimed on the ticket he wrote her.

"I paid for an hour and a half of parking," she said. "And within 20 minutes I was given a ticket."

While she was off the hook for her ticket, she claimed other drivers parked on Elati that day weren't so lucky.

"In 15 minutes I saw him do it to five cars," she said. "What did he do for the rest of his shift?"

Archuleta says her trust in Denver Public Works has been shaken.

"Is the city getting revenue from money they don't deserve?" she asked. "It's disappointing."

Teh One Who Knocks
03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm sure Denver isn't the only city this is happening in :|

AntZ
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
There were scandals like this, years ago, in downtown L.A.

Even the intersection cameras were rigged and after lengthy investigations, many cities removed them because of public pressure.

I'm sure this guy is just trying to fill his quota! EVERY city and county always deny that police and traffic enforcement departments have quotas, you better believe they do!! When I was in reserve training and after, I was always told that you don't talk about it! Essentially "Fight Club Rules"

Those tickets are big bucks for cities, and in down turns, they're the life blood!

Teh One Who Knocks
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh no doubt, parking fines for having an expired meter in the city of Denver are $25/each offense. So just imagine in over the course of a week a meter maid writes out several hundred of those tickets!

And if you weren't lucky enough to park at a meter that accepts credit cards or gives out receipts, then it's just your word against the city and you know who will win that fight every time :wha:

redred
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm sure Denver isn't the only city this is happening in :|

no, over here in bristol the the guys that empty the meters have a rule 3 coins in the bag 1 in the pocket :lol: some guy last year was caught with £14k in pound coins at his home