PDA

View Full Version : Sultan of Brunei pays for Terry Dukes' flight home

redred
05-09-2012, 04:37 PM
A Hampshire man who was seriously injured in Borneo is to be flown home after the Sultan of Brunei offered to pay for his transport, his family said.

Terry Dukes, a professional diver, has undergone five operations after being found with a serious head injury, but remains in a critical condition.

His family has been unable to pay for his repatriation flight.

But his cousin said she wrote to the sultan and he agreed to cover the transport bill.

Mr Dukes has lived in Borneo for more than 20 years and worked as a diver and marine biologist mapping uncharted shipwrecks.

Comedian's birthday
He was found by his girlfriend collapsed in the road with a head injury in January.

His cousin Carole Jahme said despite undergoing numerous operations at the Ripas Hospital, Brunei, he was still partially paralysed and needed to be brought back to the UK.

She said: "If you ask him to blink he can blink, if you ask him to squeeze your hand he can squeeze your hand, but he is seriously ill."

Part of Mr Dukes' skull was removed during the operations.

Ms Jahme, a Guardian journalist, said she had met three of the sultan's children at a birthday party for the comedian Simon Amstell and so was able to contact him and ask for his help.

After a number of phone calls with the sultan himself he agreed to pay for AirMed to fly Mr Dukes back to Southampton.

An AirMed spokesman confirmed that Mr Dukes was due to arrive back in the UK on Sunday at Southampton Airport.

He will be taken to the neurology department at Southampton General Hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18007351

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Comedian's birthday

:-k

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
red's copy und paste skillz need a wee bit of work :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
:lol:

minz
05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
It's too much apple juice to celebrate his little windfall this morning, it's not going to last him long at this rate. :lol:

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
yeah...just how does an unemployed Brit get a whopping tax return like that after not working?

did he move to America??

redred
05-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Ms Jahme, a Guardian journalist, said she had met three of the sultan's children at a birthday party for the comedian Simon Amstell and so was able to contact him and ask for his help.

http://i.imgur.com/rZiJe.jpg

i wouldn't call him a comedian

redred
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
yeah...just how does an unemployed Brit get a whopping tax return like that after not working?

did he move to America??

:slap: i think the tax folk planned on me working a whole year when they decided my tax rate ,they didn't plan on me stopping after 6 months but it took the fuckers long enough to give my money back:lol:

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry Red...you're a stay at home care giver for your kids aren't you? That's work, just not on a payroll...

minz
05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
:slap: i think the tax folk planned on me working a whole year when they decided my tax rate ,they didn't plan on me stopping after 6 months but it took the fuckers long enough to give my money back:lol:

It says it's from 2008 isn't that the year they screwed up the tax allowances/codes?

minz
05-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry Red...you're a stay at home care giver for your kids aren't you? That's work, just not on a payroll...

Erm, I was a stay at home Mum for a few years, I couldn't wait to get back to work for a break. :lol:

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
that's kinda what I was alluding to Minz....it's a full time job without much thanks

redred
05-09-2012, 06:56 PM

no need to be sorry it's all fun banter :lol:

redred
05-09-2012, 06:59 PM
It says it's from 2008 isn't that the year they screwed up the tax allowances/codes?

not sure but if i remember right and if the tax year started in april i only worked 3 months that year as i gave up early to mid july(i think),that would mean they set the tax code expecting me to earn x amount and i was way off that target having only worked a few months