PDA

View Full Version : Obama says same-sex couples should be able to marry

redred
05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
US President Barack Obama has said he is in favour of gay marriage, in an interview with ABC News.

He said: "It is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

In recent days, Vice-President Joe Biden and cabinet member Arne Duncan expressed their support of gay unions.

The interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts was apparently hastily arranged as Mr Obama came under pressure to clarify his position on the issue.

Mr Obama said his views on gay marriage had changed after observing members of his staff in strong, committed relationships.

In 2010, Mr Obama said his views on the issue were "evolving" but had stopped short of expressing support for the issue.

His comments came a day after North Carolina approved a constitutional amendment effectively banning same-sex marriage or civil unions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18014102

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 07:25 PM
:tup:

Now get off our dicks about weed

redred
05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
You can be high and ghey :tup:

KevinD
05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Once again, this (along with many other things) is a STATE issue. It makes jack all difference what Obama or any other Federal agent thinks of this.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Once again, this (along with many other things) is a STATE issue. It makes jack all difference what Obama or any other Federal agent thinks of this.

They seem to think their opinion matters, and then force it on us.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
You can be high and ghey :tup:

Its hard to be ghey without the drugs, you remember everything

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Except that he just got the vote of every gay person in the country regardless of how they view him on every other subject (economics, foreign affairs, etc).

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
It's only a state issue when Congress delegates it as such. If Congress decided to jump in the ring and pass a law defining what marriage in this country should be, then any state law addressing the issue would become invalid.

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
It's only a state issue when Congress delegates it as such. If Congress decided to jump in the ring and pass a law defining what marriage in this country should be, then any state law addressing the issue would become invalid.

Which article of the Constitution says that Congress can pass laws determining what is, or is not, marriage?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhQBZ1La0w

:-k

KevinD
05-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Err, wrong, completely wrong.

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Which article of the Constitution says that Congress can pass laws determining what is, or is not, marriage?

I sincerely doubt that it would have even crossed the Framer's minds or anyone else's who was involved in passing any amendment at any time in our history. This is a very recent issue. But the fact that it's not in there is irrelevant. Just because there is no article granting such a power, you can't assume that the act is forbidden. It could also be argued that there is no article in the Constitution that forbids Congress from explicitly defining terms that applies to the nation's citizens' daily lives when needed to address issues that require the use of such terms when the issues pop up. Congress does it all the time. They have to in order to pass new laws regarding new situations and technology that have come into recent existence.

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I hear you can still be put to death for buggery in some States..

true story

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Err, wrong, completely wrong.

No. It's not wrong. You're an American citizen first, a State citizen second. Federal law is the law of the land. Any law passed by Congress, either way passing the desk of the President and coming to be law (vetoed and overrided by Congress, or just passed), and upheld by the Supreme Court, overrules any State law that contradicts it. Just because our Federal government hasn't passed a law/amendment and a State has, doesn't mean that State law/article can't be overridden by Federal law. In the event that that does happen, and the State fights it in the Supreme Court, if the Supreme Court upholds the federal law, the law/article that the State is trying to defend becomes illegal/redundant/irrelevant/whatever term you wish to use.

And it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Go back to the Civil rights cases of the mid 1900s.

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
We have the same system here. Federal and provincial law....although we don't have much disparity between the two. Federal and provincial tax as well....

they try to blend it all so we don't get too upset over the two :lol:

KevinD
05-09-2012, 10:12 PM
No. It's not wrong. You're an American citizen first, a State citizen second. Federal law is the law of the land. Any law passed by Congress, either way passing the desk of the President and coming to be law (vetoed and overrided by Congress, or just passed), and upheld by the Supreme Court, overrules any State law that contradicts it. Just because our Federal government hasn't passed a law/amendment and a State has, doesn't mean that State law/article can't be overridden by Federal law. In the event that that does happen, and the State fights it in the Supreme Court, if the Supreme Court upholds the federal law, the law/article that the State is trying to defend becomes illegal/redundant/irrelevant/whatever term you wish to use.

And it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Go back to the Civil rights cases of the mid 1900s.

I understand your point, but will beg to differ. Since neither the US Constitution or The Bill of Rights says anything about Gay marriage, we are left with the 10th amendment imho:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

A bit of reading from here:

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html

In 2004, a lot of controversy began to swirl around the topic of marriage as homosexual marriage entered the news once again. In 1999, the Vermont Supreme Court ordered that the state must make accommodations for gay unions, bringing the issue into the public eye. Vermont created civil unions as a result. In 2004, the Massachusetts Supreme Court went a step further, and ruled that the state must accommodate not just an institution equal to marriage, as civil union was designed to be, but that gay marriage itself must be offered in the state. Subsequently, mayors in New York and California began to offer gay marriage in their towns and cities, citing civil rights concerns. Those opposed to gay marriage began to urge that an amendment to the Constitution be created to define marriage as being between a man and a woman only. Opponents of the amendment pointed to the failed Prohibition Amendment as a reason why such social issues should stay out of the Constitution. In the absence of any such amendment, however, marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution at any point. More information is available on the Marriage Topic Page.

More reading:

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_marr.html

To me, this all points to the fact that since marriage is NOT defined by the US Constitution, and based on the 10th amendment, it is in fact a STATES right to define.

Edited to add that I am a Private citizen first, then State, THEN Federal imho.

RBP
05-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Except that he just got the vote of every gay person in the country regardless of how they view him on every other subject (economics, foreign affairs, etc).

not all.....

Log Cabin Republicans Criticize Obama

“That the president has chosen today, when LGBT Americans are mourning the passage of Amendment One, to finally speak up for marriage equality is offensive and callous,” said R. Clarke Cooper, Log Cabin Republicans executive director. “Log Cabin Republicans appreciate that President Obama has finally come in line with leaders like Vice President Dick Cheney on this issue, but LGBT Americans are right to be angry that this calculated announcement comes too late to be of any use to the people of North Carolina, or any of the other states that have addressed this issue on his watch. This administration has manipulated LGBT families for political gain as much as anybody, and after his campaign’s ridiculous contortions to deny support for marriage equality this week he does not deserve praise for an announcement that comes a day late and a dollar short.”

KevinD
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
We have the same system here. Federal and provincial law....although we don't have much disparity between the two. Federal and provincial tax as well....

they try to blend it all so we don't get too upset over the two :lol:

There's the biggest difference between the US and other countries. (note, I didn't say better, but different) The US by definition is a Republic of States, United under a Federal government.

RBP
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhQBZ1La0w

He's "evolved" - love that term along with "enlightened" </sarcasm>

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Just because there is no article granting such a power, you can't assume that the act is forbidden.

You've got to be kidding me. That's EXACTLY what it means.

The Constitution clearly enumerates what the federal government can do. Anything not in the Constitution is covered by the 10th Amendment. You know, the one where states (or the people) get all powers not specifically stated in the Constitution. Read the 10th Amendment and you'll see I'm right.

The Constitution is a leash on the federal government. A very short one I might add. If you think otherwise you are just plain wrong.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2012, 10:21 PM
He's "evolved" - love that term along with "enlightened" </sarcasm>

What I can't understand is, Romney has changed his position on gay marriage and he's a flip-flopper, but Obama changes his position and he's being hailed as the Enlightened and Benevolent One by those same people criticizing Romney :-k

Gotta love double standards :roll:

Acid Trip
05-09-2012, 10:21 PM
not all.....

Log Cabin Republicans Criticize Obama

“That the president has chosen today, when LGBT Americans are mourning the passage of Amendment One, to finally speak up for marriage equality is offensive and callous,” said R. Clarke Cooper, Log Cabin Republicans executive director. “Log Cabin Republicans appreciate that President Obama has finally come in line with leaders like Vice President Dick Cheney on this issue, but LGBT Americans are right to be angry that this calculated announcement comes too late to be of any use to the people of North Carolina, or any of the other states that have addressed this issue on his watch. This administration has manipulated LGBT families for political gain as much as anybody, and after his campaign’s ridiculous contortions to deny support for marriage equality this week he does not deserve praise for an announcement that comes a day late and a dollar short.”

:wtf: is a log cabin Republican?

I agree with the Clarke Cooper guy. The Democrats have played the LGBT (Hispanic and Black too) community for years. Nice to see some of them are finally coming around.

RBP
05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
What I can't understand is, Romney has changed his position on gay marriage and he's a flip-flopper, but Obama changes his position and he's being hailed as the Enlightened and Benevolent One by those same people criticizing Romney :-k

Gotta love double standards :roll:

You can't be enlightened unless your a liberal. duh.

RBP
05-09-2012, 10:24 PM
:wtf: is a log cabin Republican?

Gay Republicans. They are GOProud. :P

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
little bit of TV trivia...I watch the show Survivor and this season they had an openly gay, flamboyant contestant from Alabama. (Colton Cumbie)

He openly criticized a black wannabe comedian, because the black comedian had no money or drive according to Colton ....he stated it wasn't a racial thing, then called the guy ghetto trash to his face.

Further conversations reveal that Cumbie is a republican...and was brought up in a rich, white household with black servants :lol: :lol:

He said he's never got heat over being gay (in Alabama) or being an openly gay republican....

I personally think he would get lynched if his family wasn't so affluent

Joebob034
05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
:ghey: honestly who cares? let gays get married I don't understand why this is such a huge issue in this country

RBP
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
And a thanks from Minz who lives in country that doesn't allow gay marriage. Those fucking American bigots!! :roll:

minz
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
And a thanks from Minz who lives in country that doesn't allow gay marriage. Those fucking American bigots!! :roll:

We allow civil partnerships at the moment but if it were my decision they could marry tomorrow, it's only a matter of time here before it is legal to marry, roll on equality.

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 11:18 PM
I think we allow it in some provinces...which is backassed in itself..

either the country should allow it or not, is my feeling

RBP
05-09-2012, 11:25 PM
I think we allow it in some provinces...which is backassed in itself..

either the country should allow it or not, is my feeling

:-s

On July 20, 2005, Canada became the fourth country in the world and the first country in the Americas to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide with the enactment of the Civil Marriage Act which provided a gender-neutral marriage definition

Hal-9000
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
:-s

On July 20, 2005, Canada became the fourth country in the world and the first country in the Americas to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide with the enactment of the Civil Marriage Act which provided a gender-neutral marriage definition

sorry man...I had heard they only legalized it in Ontario. I live in the conservative end of the country (think republican Texas and that's us..) so maybe they didn't tell us :oops:

Loser
05-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Not even going to read this article, because I know this jackass, and he's only doing this to get votes. Just like hopey changey.:roll:

Muddy
05-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Who reads the articles?

Jezter
05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
And why exactly is this such a frickin' huge issue?

Acid Trip
05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
And why exactly is this such a frickin' huge issue?

Mainly because our ass clown of a POTUS has once again flip flopped his position on a major issue simply to get votes. I bet I could get Obama to endorse my penis if I promised him my vote.

Jezter
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Mainly because our ass clown of a POTUS has once again flip flopped his position on a major issue simply to get votes. I bet I could get Obama to endorse my penis if I promised him my vote.

Has he gone from being against to favoring to being against and the again favoring or simply changing his opinion from not favoring to favoring? Cuz if it is the latter, I don't think it is flip flopping exactly... or then we all should be called flip floppers after changing our opinion once on something.

Acid Trip
05-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Has he gone from being against to favoring to being against and the again favoring or simply changing his opinion from not favoring to favoring? Cuz if it is the latter, I don't think it is flip flopping exactly... or then we all should be called flip floppers after changing our opinion once on something.

It's changed at least 4 times in the last 4 years. When running for Senator he was for "civil unions". When running for president he was against "gay marriage". Then it was "gays should be able to have civil unions". Now it's "gays have the right to civil marriages".

So which is it? And how convenient that he now fully supports gay marriage a few months before an election.

Jezter
05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I forgot to add that when it come to saying "he did it just to get votes" well, if he is re-elected then I hope people hold him to this opinion and judge after that if it was just for votes or not. Plus, it is nothing the other politicians/candidate(s) wouldn't do. They all promise you the Moon from the sky for your vote, don't they? So it is a bit hypocritical to say it is just for the votes...

Jezter
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
It's changed at least 4 times in the last 4 years. When running for Senator he was for "civil unions". When running for president he was against "gay marriage". Then it was "gays should be able to have civil unions". Now it's "gays have the right to civil marriages".

So which is it? And how convenient that he now fully supports gay marriage a few months before an election.

Well then...but I see that he has still been more pro-gay than anti. Since he has been for civil unions and such and not just flat out "no" to all forms of gay unions/marriages. So in my opinion, it is not so much flip flopping really.

Acid Trip
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Well then...but I see that he has still been more pro-gay than anti. Since he has been for civil unions and such and not just flat out "no" to all forms of gay unions/marriages. So in my opinion, it is not so much flip flopping really.

We are all welcome to our opinions. He changes verbiage to the most popular position at the time (ie the most votes). I can't help you see that if you can't see it already.

Jezter
05-10-2012, 02:06 PM
We are all welcome to our opinions. He changes verbiage to the most popular position at the time (ie the most votes). I can't help you see that if you can't see it already.

As does everyone else.

Hal-9000
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Obama endorsed Finns...but only if they come from Sweden

Jezter
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Obama endorsed Finns...but only if they come from Sweden

A Finn is a Finn. :tup:

Hal-9000
05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I hear a Finn is a gypsy if you give them enough money

:lol:

Jezter
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I hear a Finn is a gypsy if you give them enough money

:lol:

:huh: Does not compute...

Hal-9000
05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
cross matching threads and comments..it will all gel within 4 hours :thumbsup:

Jezter
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
cross matching threads and comments..it will all gel within 4 hours :thumbsup:

Quit this sorcery at once! :x

Hal-9000
05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Quit this sorcery at once! :x

What are you gonna do?? Marry me??!!! :x

bring it bitch (and some nice flowers)

Jezter
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
What are you gonna do?? Marry me??!!! :x

bring it bitch (and some nice flowers)
Only if I can marry allsmiles first and take you as my 2nd wife after that!

Muddy
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah really, these threads should be merged or something.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah really, these threads should be merged or something.

thats gay

Richard Cranium
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Dont forget the lube

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Got it covered
http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31AFjheBqGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg