PDA

View Full Version : Baby, 18 months old, ordered off plane at Fort Lauderdale airport by TSA

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Little Riyanna's father: 'We were humiliated'
WPBF-TV Channel 25

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Eighteen-month-old Riyanna has been called a lot of things: cute, adorable and now ... a suspected terrorist.

She was called that on Tuesday night at the Ft Lauderdale Airport. She and her parents had just boarded a JetBlue flight when an airline employee approached them and asked them to get off the plane, saying representatives from the Transportation Security Agency wanted to speak to them.

"And I said, 'For what?'" Riyanna's mother told only WPBF 25 News on Wednesday. "And he said, 'Well, it's not you or your husband. Your daughter was flagged as no fly.' I said, 'Excuse me?'"

Riyanna's father was flabbergasted.

"It's absurd," he said. "It made no sense. Why would an 18-month-old child be on a no-fly list?"

Riyanna's parents, who asked not to be identified, said they think they know the answer to that question. They believe they were profiled because they are both of Middle Eastern descent. Riyanna's mother wears a hijab, a traditional head scarf. That's why they have asked to remain anonymous. They said they're concerned about repurcussions. That said, they are both Americans, born and raised in New Jersey, just like their daughter.

Riyanna's parents said once they were taken off the plane, they were met by TSA agents and made to stand in the terminal for about 30 minutes.

"We were put on display like a circus act because my wife wears a hijab," Riyanna's father said.

Eventually, the child's parents said they were told they could reboard the plane though they added that nobody offered an apology or even an explanation for what happened. The family refused to get back on the plane because they were embarrassed. They chose instead to leave the airport, but they still want to know why and how this happened.

WPBF contacted JetBlue and was told this was an issue with the Transportation Safety Administration. JetBlue also said both it and the TSA are investigating the incident.

But the TSA disagreed, telling WPBF this is an airline issue and therefore, it is not investigating. The TSA also said that since Riyanna and her parents were issued boarding passes, that means they had been cleared by the TSA and were definitely not on the no-fly list.

Riyanna's father said he plans to consult an attorney.

"We were humiliated," he said. "We were embarrassed. We were picked on."

Muddy
05-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Babies are out of control these days...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
if you're an American then dress like it

Muddy
05-10-2012, 03:19 PM
At the airport take that dumb fucking thing off your head unless you are asking for trouble..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
if you're an American then dress like it

Isn't part of being an American is having the freedom to dress how you like? :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Its my right to wear a horse tail butt plug to the airport, and you shouldn't judge me for it, its embarrassing

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Isn't part of being an American is having the freedom to dress how you like? :-k

Yes, and then you can get profiled :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, and then you can get profiled :tup:

How are they being profiled when it was the baby that was on the No Fly List?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 03:27 PM
because she had a beekeepers hat on

Muddy
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
:lol:

Acid Trip
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
because she had a beekeepers hat on

:lol:

So wrong but so funny.

KevinD
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the TSA on this one, unfortunately. If they (the family) already had boarding passes, then none of them were on the no fly list. I would suspect that since the family had already boarded the plane, then were asked to get off, something that we aren't being told about happened on the plane.

Acid Trip
05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
This reminds me of the underwear bomb the CIA agent intercepted. You know, the bomb that would have gone right through security and the scanners without detection.

Glad we spent all that money on a bunch of worthless scanners and thousands of morons to man them (TSA agents).

So the new bombs are impossible to detect and we've got 18 month old babies on the no fly list.

I don't know about you guys but I feel safer already! :roll:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
This reminds me of the underwear bomb the CIA agent intercepted. You know, the bomb that would have gone right through security and the scanners without detection.

Glad we spent all that money on a bunch of worthless scanners and thousands of morons to man them (TSA agents).

So the new bombs are impossible to detect and we've got 18 month old babies on the no fly list.

I know I do. :tup:

By the way how many "attacks" has the TSA stopped so far?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I know I do. :tup:

By the way how many "attacks" has the TSA stopped so far?

That's classified and above your paygrade :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Oh, so 0 then. Thats what I thought :tup:

Great job, and it only adds another hour to my hour and a half early I all ready had to show up.

Hal-9000
05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
so I missed it...were the parents allowed to board but not the child?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
They made them check the baby with the luggage

KevinD
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM

She was called that on Tuesday night at the Ft Lauderdale Airport. She and her parents had just boarded a JetBlue flight when an airline employee approached them and asked them to get off the plane, saying representatives from the Transportation Security Agency wanted to speak to them.

Does that answer you? lol

Hal-9000
05-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Does that answer you? lol

can't read much at work :oops: gotta go quick....

actually, this is what I was asking about - "Well, it's not you or your husband. Your daughter was flagged as no fly"

thanks hal :lol:

Midnight_Beacon
05-11-2012, 07:27 AM

I'd feel a lot safer by the TSA if they weren't almost always obese. Type 3 obese. Like someone that out of shape could chase down anything or anyone? You're in a security role - be healthy & fit enough to fulfill that role.

Ok, that's not 100% true. I don't want them touching me. I don't care about the scanners. Don't touch me. There, that's more accurate.

redred
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM

just had an idea i'm going to try and get my kid on a no fly list ,just think 2 weeks in the sun away from her :woot: