PDA

View Full Version : High school teacher pleads not guilty to sexual assault charges

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2012, 12:55 PM
BY JOHN PETRICK - The Record

http://i.imgur.com/Cj1yF.jpg

A 26-year-old Clifton High School history teacher pleaded not guilty before a state judge Tuesday to charges she had sex with a 16-year-old student — charges the judge referred to a grand jury for further action.

During her first court appearance since her May 7 arrest, Kristin Leone was arraigned on charges of sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child, criminal sexual contact, luring and enticing a child and two counts of official misconduct.

The alleged victim’s mother attended the arraignment with an older son. "I’m very hurt. But the Lord Jesus Christ has given me the comfort I need," she said immediately after the hearing. "I thank my church and my brothers and sisters of Christ, for their support."

Judge Greta Gooden Brown in Paterson kept Leone’s bail at $100,000. As a condition of the bail, she must have no contact with the victim and have no unsupervised conduct with children, Gooden Brown said. Leone posted the bail after her arrest and remains free.

Leone and her attorney, Ronald Ricci of Woodland Park, declined to comment after the proceedings.

The teacher has been placed on leave from the district and instructed to remain off school property and to have no contact with students, Richard Tardalo, the superintendent, said last week.

The first alleged incident took place in a classroom where Leone was tutoring the boy after school. The encounter allegedly involved contact of a sexual nature. In the second incident at Leone’s home in Clifton, the teacher is accused of having sexual intercourse with the student, authorities have said.

There was no evidence that the student was coerced, but prosecutors have said the relationship was not legal, because of the supervisory role of the teacher.

Leone, who was arrested May 7, has previously denied the charges through her attorney. Ricci has said his client has an exemplary teaching record and is well-liked by students and colleagues. He has pointed out that she has never been in trouble before and has no disciplinary record.

In the past three years, North Jersey schools have seen 26 arrests or convictions of teachers, coaches or other school employees accused of sexual abuse or inappropriate relationships with children.

Two weeks ago, Jillian Clementi, a parochial school social studies teacher and softball coach at Wood-Ridge High School, was arrested on a sexual assault charge on allegations that she had a sexual relationship with a student.

Clifton recently intensified its outreach to parents, students and teachers about sexual misconduct, encouraging them to report suspicions of wrongdoing. The campaign was launched after the alleged sexual assaults of two students at the high school in the past year.

In March 2011, the school principal resigned after being accused of sexual harassment by a parent.