PDA

View Full Version : 'Blade Runner' Writer to Re-Team with Director Ridley Scott on Sequel

Teh One Who Knocks
05-18-2012, 12:30 PM
by Borys Kit - The Hollywood Reporter

http://i.imgur.com/7tisi.jpg

Original Blade Runner writer Hampton Fancher is in talks to pen an idea for an untitled sequel to the classic sci-fi film for director Ridley Scott and studio Alcon Entertainment.

Alcon and Scott are mum on plot details but they confirm that the story will be set “some years after the first film concluded,” according to a statement released Thursday.

Blade Runner, which hit theaters in 1982 starring Harrison Ford, was an adaptation of the Phillip K. Dick story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Fancher shared screenplay credit with David Peoples.

The movie was a box-office disappointment when it was first released but has since become one of the most important films in the sci-fi genre. Ford played a “blade runner,” an expert on artificial humans, who is brought in to hunt down several rebellious "replicants."

Fancher, an actor who appeared on shows such as Gunsmoke, Rawhide and 77 Sunset Strip, wrote fiction on the side. Despite co-writing Blade Runner, his screenwriting career never took off, although he did pen the 1989 crime movie The Mighty Quinn and wrote and directed the 1999 serial killer thriler The Minus Man, which starred Owen Wilson and Sheryl Crow.

Scott is producing with Alcon’s Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove as well as Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, who run Thunderbird Films, are executive producing.

Fancher is repped by APA and attorney Matt Saver.

Nemowork Pt2
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Interesting, not that theres a sequel in itself but Ridley Scott seems to be in a mood for revisiting his younger days, what with the Prometheus movie being out now?

Joebob034
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
:yawn:

DemonGeminiX
05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
I've got mixed feelings on this. I love Blade Runner, but really, what else is there to be said?

Hal-9000
05-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I love Dick's....erm.....I love the idea that Phillip K Dick postulates in his story. The reimagining of BSG took the idea to epic levels I thought.

Does an artificial life form have feelings and emotions? If the created entities are totally organic and complete reproductions of humans, why wouldn't they?

Bypassing all of the God and soul stuff, I find the premise interesting with regards to the future and how advanced will our created robots become?

redred
05-18-2012, 07:38 PM
:hand:i'll hold out for the theatrical Criterion Director's Cut 25th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Final Cut Edition :lol:

Hal-9000
05-18-2012, 08:43 PM
:hand:i'll hold out for the theatrical Criterion Director's Cut 25th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Final Cut Edition :lol:

6.2 hour edition of the same bloody movie :lol:

redred
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
No it had a second extra of dark sky in it

Hal-9000
05-18-2012, 08:51 PM
ooooh, that's worth an extra 20 dollars (12.3 pounds) :thumbsup:

Muddy
05-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I love Dick's....erm.....I love the idea that Phillip K Dick postulates in his story.

:lol:

Hal-9000
05-18-2012, 08:52 PM
fook man I was waiting for the sig quote as I typed :lol:

Nemowork Pt2
05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Heh, just think of Daryl Hannahs thighs around your face and you can suddenly feel much more macho :thumbsup: