PDA

View Full Version : 'Chernobyl Diaries' Horror Flick RIPPED By Victim Support Group

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
By the TMZ Staff

http://i.imgur.com/qmNUz.jpg

The new Jesse McCartney horror flick "Chernobyl Diaries" is a slap in the face to the 400,000 victims of the real-life nuclear disaster ... so says a Chernobyl recovery organization.

For those unfamiliar with the Chernobyl disaster ... (shame on you if you're one of them) ... scores of people were killed or disfigured when the nuclear power plant exploded in the Ukraine in 1986.

http://i.imgur.com/ZaW78.jpg

Now, the Friends of Chernobyl Centers U.S. tells TMZ ... it's furious with the plot of the new movie -- in which several people who were mutated in the blast hunt down unwitting tourists.

"It is terrible that such a tragic event as Chernobyl is being sensationalized in a Hollywood horror film," a rep for the org tells us.

"Thousands of people have died and over 400,000 people were evacuated from their homes. Today over 5 million people still live on contaminated land. The horror is not mutants running around, the real horror is the effect that Chernobyl continues to have on the lives of millions who have been devastated physically, emotionally and economically."

The rep adds, " If you feel compelled to go see this movie, take the adrenalin you get from the horror to go do something good and make a difference in the lives of those still living with Chernobyl every day."

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
By the TMZ Staff

http://i.imgur.com/suTsd.jpg

The producer of "Chernobyl Diaries" is firing back at claims that his movie is exploiting the 400,000 victims of the nuclear disaster, telling TMZ another support group actually praised him for his efforts.

Oren Peli -- who also directed "Paranormal Activity" -- tells TMZ that his film was done with the utmost respect for the victims of the 1986 disaster ... so much so that the group Chabad's Children of Chernobyl wrote him a letter praising him with "admiration" and "kudos" for his creation.

In a statement Peli tells TMZ, "As for the claim that our film exploits anyone -- we could not disagree more vigorously. First of all, the criticism and accusations are coming from a group that has not seen the film, whereas conversely the praise for it is coming from those who have indeed seen it."

If you recall ... Friends of Chernobyl Centers U.S. previously bashed the film for sensationalizing the tragic event -- angry over the use of victims as violent mutants.

Peli -- who also wrote the film -- lashes back, telling us ... the villains of the movie are not mutated "victims" of the Chernobyl disaster and the dilapidated location is JUST a backdrop.

He then concludes, "The film, though fictional, may in fact shine a light on a tragedy too many have forgotten."

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
I play an awesome PC game called STALKER that takes place in Pripyat....

mutants, barren landscape, irradiated water...it has everything

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 06:45 PM
I really wanna see this movie.

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I recall the first special on Chernobyl when they went back to the site (years ago) and saw that clothes were still folded on beds, dishes on tables with food...it was like a ghost town where everyone just got up and left :|

very creepy considering the place was still chock full of radiation as the film crew was walking around...

DemonGeminiX
05-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I really wanna see this movie.

A lot of people are saying that now that these advocacy groups are crying foul. Why bother advertising when the whiners will do it better for you?

It comes out on Friday.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
A lot of people are saying that now that these advocacy groups are crying foul. Why bother advertising when the whiners will do it better for you?

It comes out on Friday.

I wanted to see it as soon as I saw the ads for it, it looks like it could be a decent horror flick. Deserted radioactive city and mutants, that's a damn good recipe to start with :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
I wanted to see it as soon as I saw the ads for it, it looks like it could be a decent horror flick. Deserted radioactive city and mutants, that's a damn good recipe to start with :thumbsup:

With an irradiated Boris walking around mumbling - Who drank all da vodka????? Grrrrr more brainssssssssss....

Dr Death
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Jesus! It's just a movie, get over it!

And BTW I'm so ready to see it! :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Jesus! It's just a movie, get over it!

And BTW I'm so ready to see it! :mrgreen:

that's what I was getting at with my post about the videogame....STALKER has been out for years and it glorifies (by using Chernobyl as the setpiece) the accident in ways a movie could never dream of :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Good thing nobody makes movies about the Holocaust that could get ugly

Dr Death
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
that's what I was getting at with my post about the videogame....STALKER has been out for years and it glorifies (by using Chernobyl as the setpiece) the accident in ways a movie could never dream of :lol::tup:

RBP
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Good thing nobody makes movies about the Holocaust that could get ugly

:-s

You're kidding right?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
I would be offended if they made movies that talked about slavery, all that cashing in on those victims.

RBP
05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
I would be offended if they made movies that talked about slavery, all that cashing in on those victims.

Yeah but there have been major movies about both subjects for years. Schindler's List? Roots?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
*sarcasm*

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
mild :lol:

RBP
05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
well how do I know, you guys have some wacky opinions sometimes :lol:

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
it's hard to tell in text....this is the only place I can read - 'fuck off and die' and get a good giggle out of it :lol:

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
or as my old supervisor used to put in the last note in a thread of work emails

hal - FOAD

*I'm serious :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
well how do I know, you guys have some wacky opinions sometimes :lol:

:lol: