View Full Version : Quantum physics explanation for smell gains traction [BBC]

Deepsepia
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News, Dallas

The theory that our sense of smell has its basis in quantum physics events is gaining traction, say researchers.

The idea remains controversial, but scientists reporting at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, are slowly unpicking how it could work.

The key, they say, is tiny packets of energy, or quanta, lost by electrons.

Experiments using tiny wires show that as electrons move on proteins within the nose, odor molecules could absorb these quanta and thereby be detected.

If the theory is right, by extending these studies, an "electronic nose" superior to any chemical sensor could be devised.
Lock and key

The means by which a detected molecule is translated into a smell within the brain has already been the subject of Nobel prize-winning research.

But how precisely an odorant molecule is detected remains a mystery.

As with the picture of molecular interactions that drives our understanding of enzymes and drugs, the very shape of odorant molecules has been assumed to be the way it is detected in the nose.

In this scenario, molecules are seen to be the "key" that fits neatly into a detector molecule in the nose that acts as a lock.

But in 1996, Luca Turin, now of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US, suggested that the "vibrational modes" of an odorant were its signature.

Molecules can be viewed as a collection of atoms on springs, and energy of just the right frequency - a quantum - can cause the spring to vibrate.

Since different assemblages of molecules have different characteristic frequencies, Turin proposed, these vibrations could act as a molecular signature.

The idea has been debated in the scientific literature, but presentations at the American Physical Society meeting put the theory on firmer footing.

Most recently, Dr Turin published a paper showing that flies can distinguish between molecules that are chemically similar but in which a heavier version of hydrogen had been substituted.

Like a spring with a heavier weight at one end, the vibration frequency is lowered, and flies appear to notice.

"There's still lots to understand, but the idea that it cannot possibly be right is no longer tenable really," said Andrew Horsfield of Imperial College London.

"The theory has to at least be considered respectable at this point," he told BBC News.

Dr Horsfield's research centres on demonstrating how the vibration might be detected.

The idea is that an electron on one part of a protein may move, and arrive at another part lacking a quantum of vibrational energy.

"The electron starts at one end of the room, if you like, and it can only make it to the other end if it gives up energy to the molecule in the middle of the room," he explained.

"Once it's arrived, you say 'Aha! The fact that it's here means that somewhere beteween where it started and where it is now there's a molecule with the right vibrational frequency'."
Room to move

The difficulty is demonstrating a physical system where this kind of detective work can be accomplished - to show a start and an endpoint to the process.

Dr Horsfield and his collaborators have demonstrated nanowires - wires just billionths of a metre across - that can act as the "room" of the analogy.

They showed how electrons could arrive at on end of these nanowires and give away what molecules they had encountered along the way.

Jennifer Brookes, a University College London researcher based at MIT, carries out computer simulations on the quantum physics at work in the process, in order to put it on a firmer mathematical footing.

"It's a very interesting idea; there's all sorts of interesting biological physics that implement quantum processes that's cropping up," she told BBC News.

"I believe it's time for the idea to develop and for us to get on with testing it."

Her presentation suggested that the vibrational theory of smell, at least as quantum physics is concerned, is a reasonable one.

"Mathematically, the theory is robust, and even if it's not happening in smell, it's interesting to think it might be a discriminatory process in nature in other ways," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12827893

FBD
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
But in 1996, Luca Turin, now of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US, suggested that the "vibrational modes" of an odorant were its signature.

Bingo

Deepsepia
03-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Bingo

You think this makes sense?

Would be very cool if it were true. I don't know enough about it to say anything other than to say that I really hope its true . . .

Hal-9000
03-24-2011, 11:42 PM
it's fascinating to try and understand how smell works...the registering of an odor is one thing, the differentiating of different odors is what fascinates me....

FBD
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
You think this makes sense?

Would be very cool if it were true. I don't know enough about it to say anything other than to say that I really hope its true . . .

Absolutely - example, think of an identical molecule, but opposite chirality - gonna smell different? You betcha! "Vibrational modes" can be pretty well extrapolated to be inclusive of stuff you'd think makes a difference. Fancy verbiage, more precise though it may be :D

Deepsepia
03-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Absolutely - example, think of an identical molecule, but opposite chirality - gonna smell different? You betcha! "Vibrational modes" can be pretty well extrapolated to be inclusive of stuff you'd think makes a difference. Fancy verbiage, more precise though it may be :D

More news along those lines

(Nanowerk News)
Do the principles of quantum mechanics apply to biological systems? Until now, says Prof. Ron Naaman of the Institute's Chemical Physics Department (Faculty of Chemistry), both biologists and physicists have considered quantum systems and biological molecules to be like apples and oranges. But research he conducted together with scientists in Germany, which appeared recently in Science ("Spin Selectivity in Electron Transmission Through Self-Assembled Monolayers of Double-Stranded DNA "), definitively shows that a biological molecule – DNA – can discern between quantum states known as spin.

Quantum phenomena, it is generally agreed, take place in extremely tiny systems – single atoms, for instance, or very small molecules. To investigate them, scientists must usually cool their material down to temperatures approaching absolute zero. Once such a system exceeds a certain size or temperature, its quantum properties collapse, and "every day" classical physics takes over. Naaman: "Biological molecules are quite large, and they work at temperatures that are much warmer than the temperatures at which most quantum physics experiments are conducted. One would expect that the quantum phenomenon of spin, which exists in two opposing states, would be scrambled in these molecules – and thus irrelevant to their function."

But biological molecules have another property: they are chiral. In other words, they exist in either "left-" or "right-handed" forms that can't be superimposed on one another. Double-stranded DNA molecules are doubly chiral – both in the arrangement of the individual strands and in the direction of the helices' twist. Naaman knew from previous studies that some chiral molecules can interact in different ways with the two different spins. Together with Prof. Zeev Vager of the Particle Physics and Astrophysics Department, research student Tal Markus, and Prof. Helmut Zacharias and his research team at the University of Münster, Germany, he set out to discover whether DNA might show some spin-selective properties.

The researchers fabricated self-assembling, single layers of DNA attached to a gold substrate. They then exposed the DNA to mixed groups of electrons with both directions of spin. Indeed, the team's results surpassed expectations: The biological molecules reacted strongly with the electrons carrying one of those spins, and hardly at all with the others. The longer the molecule, the more efficient it was at choosing electrons with the desired spin, while single strands and damaged bits of DNA did not exhibit this property. These findings imply that the ability to pick and choose electrons with a particular spin stems from the chiral nature of the DNA molecule, which somehow "sets the preference" for the spin of electrons moving through it.

In fact, says Naaman, DNA turns out to be a superb "spin filter," and the team's findings could have relevance for both biomedical research and the field of spintronics. If further studies, for instance, bear out the finding that DNA only sustains damage from spins pointing in one direction, then exposure might be reduced and medical devices designed accordingly. On the other hand, DNA and other biological molecules could become a central feature of new types of spintronic devices, which will work on particle spin rather than electric charge, as they do today.
Source: Weizmann Institute of Science

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=20812.php
Original article in Science at:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6019/894

FBD
03-31-2011, 08:44 PM
More news along those lines

Nice!!! Good find, I knew there was some stuff out there. Roger Penrose had some good bits regarding chirality in....what the hell was that huge "complete volume of math & physics" he came out with a few years back. I lent that to my son.

As my old wrestling coach used to say when we were doing a certain drill,

Spin, spin, spin! :mrgreen:

Deepsepia
03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Nice!!! Good find, I knew there was some stuff out there. Roger Penrose had some good bits regarding chirality in....what the hell was that huge "complete volume of math & physics" he came out with a few years back. I lent that to my son.

As my old wrestling coach used to say when we were doing a certain drill,

Spin, spin, spin! :mrgreen:

I gotta say, while I'm not a fan of your political economy, you're absolutely solid on quantum physical chemistry -- the piece I posted is a new result which came out after your earlier post, and is almost precisely what you said.

Prediction, born out by result earns a deep Deeps :

:excellent: :grouphug:

FBD
04-01-2011, 12:15 PM
"If I have seen further than other men it's because I have stood on the shoulders of giants. ..."

Thanks man :wave: