PDA

View Full Version : Does Facebook Wreck Marriages?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
By Quentin Fottrell - Smart Money

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg changed his status to “married” Saturday and received over one million “likes” from his followers. But the site he founded isn’t always so marriage-friendly. In fact, lawyers say the social network contributes to an increasing number of marriage breakups.

More than a third of divorce filings last year contained the word Facebook, according to a U.K. survey by Divorce Online, a legal services firm. And over 80% of U.S. divorce attorneys say they’ve seen a rise in the number of cases using social networking, according to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. “I see Facebook issues breaking up marriages all the time,” says Gary Traystman, a divorce attorney in New London, Conn. Of the 15 cases he handles per year where computer history, texts and emails are admitted as evidence, 60% exclusively involve Facebook.

“Affairs happen with a lightning speed on Facebook,” says K. Jason Krafsky, who authored the book “Facebook and Your Marriage” with his wife Kelli. In the real world, he says, office romances and out-of-town trysts can take months or even years to develop. “On Facebook,” he says, “they happen in just a few clicks.” The social network is different from most social networks or dating sites in that it both re-connects old flames and allows people to “friend” someone they may only met once in passing. “It puts temptation in the path of people who would never in a million years risk having an affair,” he says. Facebook declined to comment.

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
:rofl:

I met a married woman my first WEEK on fuckbook

:lol:

I'd say yes, it does contribute

Iffy
05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Can't cheat if you're not looking

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 09:09 PM

:lol:

KevinD
05-23-2012, 12:57 AM
No, Fb doesn't wreck marriages. Dumb-asses that don't respect themselves or their partners do. Been on FB for years (MySpace too) and had friends (girls) that I knew years ago, and some I meet along the way as "friends" Mostly though, my "friends" are family.

KevinD
05-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Can't cheat if you're Bill Clinton

I reference to another post...lol

Southern Belle
05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
If a marriage breaks up over facebook, there was already something wrong.