PDA

View Full Version : Fighter jets scrambled to intercept U.S.-bound flight

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
By Dylan Stableford | The Lookout

A flight from Paris bound for Charlotte was diverted to Maine on Tuesday after reports say a passenger claimed to have a device surgically implanted device inside.

US Airways flight 787--which left Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport shortly after 11:00 a.m. local time en route to Charlotte Douglas International--was rerouted to Bangor, Maine, shortly after noon ET, CNN reported. The Boeing 767 was carrying 179 passengers and a crew of nine, a spokesman for the airline said, confirming that there had been an unspecified "security issue."

A Homeland Security official told NBC News that the flight was diverted because a "passenger was acting suspiciously."

According to CNN, a French woman on board the flight handed a note to a flight attendant, claiming that she had a surgically implanted explosive inside of her.

Two F-15 fighter jets were scrambled to intercept the flight over the Atlantic, NORAD said. The plane landed safely in Bangor.

Doctors on board the flight examined the woman and "saw no sign of recent scars," according to House Homeland Security Committee chairman Peter King's office.

The woman, a French citizen from Cameroon, had planned a 10-day visit to the United States, CNN added. She was traveling alone and had no checked baggage.

"[We are] aware of reports of a passenger who exhibited suspicious behavior during flight," the TSA said in a statement. "Out of an abundance of caution the flight was diverted to BGR where it was met by law enforcement."

The FBI-led Joint Terrorism Task Force is assisting with the investigation, but officials told the network they did not believe it was a terrorist threat.

According to US Airways, the flight was scheduled to leave Bangor at 1:00 p.m. and arrive in Charlotte at 3:27 p.m. ET, though as of 1:50 p.m. was still shown sitting on the tarmac.

It's not the first time a flight from Paris has been diverted to Bangor. In 2010, a Delta flight from Paris to Atlanta was diverted to Bangor after a man claimed to be carrying dynamite in his luggage. The man, Derek Stansberry, a 26-year-old Air Force veteran from Florida, was later found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Just last week, a US Airways flight from Maine to Philadelphia was interrupted when a man allegedly tried to enter the cockpit. That flight was diverted to Boston, and the man was arrested.

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 06:58 PM
"...handed a note to a flight attendant, claiming that she had a surgically implanted explosive inside of her."

1.open door
2.place foot on ass
3.see ya

Muddy
05-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Nice work boys..

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
They were successful in doing nothing, nice work

Muddy
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
*Fires shot into Porkys hair*

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
More failed policy, thanks

RBP
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
More failed policy, thanks

Scrambling jets when they have a thread of a bomb is a failed policy? How so?

Acid Trip
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
What a great way to test security measures. Or perhaps the world's greatest prank.

1) Find an old lady who doesn't speak English
2) Give old lady a note in English that says "I have a surgically implanted bomb"
3) Tell old lady to give note to flight attendant when they're over the ocean

4) Laugh at perfect prank OR sit back and see how we respond to such a threat

PorkChopSandwiches
05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Scrambling jets when they have a thread of a bomb is a failed policy? How so?

They should have found it before hand :hand:

or

realized she was a liar

RBP
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
They should have found it before hand :hand:

or

realized she was a liar

I don't trust the French :hand:

Muddy
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM
What a great way to test security measures.

1) Find an old lady who doesn't speak English
2) Give old lady a note in English that says "I have a surgically implanted bomb"
3) Tell old lady to give note to flight attendant when they're over the ocean

4) sit back and see how we respond to such a threat

I thought the exact thing.. it's a test.

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
IDK...this kinda backs onto the story from a couple of weeks ago where the girl with the dialysis implant had it removed before she got on the plane...

that was a legit medical device and they screwed up bigtime.....this story above features a person with a note saying - I have a surgically implanted bomb and they just cruise along at 40000 feet until the drink cart comes back your way? :lol:

Acid Trip
05-22-2012, 08:41 PM
IDK...this kinda backs onto the story from a couple of weeks ago where the girl with the dialysis implant had it removed before she got on the plane...

that was a legit medical device and they screwed up bigtime.....this story above features a person with a note saying - I have a surgically implanted bomb and they just cruise along at 40000 feet until the drink cart comes back your way? :lol:

Yeah, it almost sounds made up. So TSA fucks up with a medical implant and now we have a granny pretending to have a medical implant that's a bomb? Sounds like someone is covering their tracks by making a fuck up look legit.

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't know the actual protocol but you'd think if a person was on board with a note saying I have a surgically implanted explosive device, the first action would be the safety of the plane and the passengers, number 2 would be anything on the ground that they may hit.............screaming in at 90 degrees and 600 mph :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I thought the exact thing.. it's a test.

It would be a more fun test if there was an F-15 pilot with an itchy trigger finger

Hal-9000
05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I love hearing that radar-lock tone when playing jet flight sims :thumbsup:

Pony
05-22-2012, 11:05 PM
I like the plan of diverting to Maine, that way if something does happen the plane will crash in Canada.

:outtahere:

Arkady Renko
05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
It's a good thing the plane had to land at an airport anyway, so they could send a couple F-22 for the interception mission