PDA

View Full Version : The 10 most painful stings on the planet, by the self-sacrificing man who tried 150 different varieties in the name of science

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
By Eddie Wrenn - The Daily Mail

Most of us will have felt the pain of a bee sting. Luckily most of us will have avoided the dreaded pain of a tarantula hawk or a fire ant.

Justin Schmidt felt all three of these - and 147 other horrible, burning sensations - after a dedicated life-long career devoted to insects.

On numerous fieldwork trips, The University of Arizona entomologist would find himself digging up living colonies of creatures, who in turn were not happy with this destructive human scooping them into bags - and promptly sank their fangs, stingers or pincers into him.

Still, no pain, no gain, and Schmidt turned his experiences into the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, ranking 78 species in a list which, while subjective, was put together by the man who must surely know best, ranking their pain on a scale of 1 to 4.

http://i.imgur.com/VPZkW.png

He also gave un-scientific-sounding but apt descriptions for each pain, for instance the sting of the yellowjacket wasp felt 'hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine W. C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.'.

According to io9, entomologist May Berenbaum described Schmidt's char as: 'A scale from 0 to 4, in which 0 was defined as the sensation of being stung by an insect that cannot penetrate human skin to 2, a familiar intermediate pain (honey bee), to 4, an intensely painful sting.'

If you think you can handle the all stings in the world, Schmidt made two other findings that might change your views.

FIrstly, Schmidt said that the more painful a sting felt, the more aggressive the species tended to be.

And, adding further insult injury, some creatures would also release a pheromone with their sting - telling other insects to join in the fun and give more stings to the victim.

If that has still not put you off a sting, io9 reported how the stingers affected our bodies.

'First, enzymes soften, then burst open cellular membranes. Some of these cells, inevitably, will be nerve cells. Wrecking these cells screws up all the electrochemical signaling that nerve cells do, so they end up firing off signals more or less at random.

'Other chemicals restrict blood flow, keeping the pain-causing stuff undiluted and in one place.'

Luckily, most of us will hopefully go through life with little more than the odd sting from a passing wasp or defensive bee - but spare a thought for Schmidt, who is bravely sacrificing his body in the name of science.

http://i.imgur.com/xMgv2.png

PorkChopSandwiches
05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
I'll pass

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Wuss :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I'll start at 1 if you start at 4+ and we will work towards the middle.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm wearing a bullet ant vest right now :nono:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
:hand: You're not 50 cent

FBD
05-23-2012, 03:49 PM
ants "sting"? they freakin bite. and if we're going by bites, I want to see his assessment of the brown recluse spider :lol:

Richard Cranium
05-23-2012, 03:55 PM
"Ant stings are a cutaneous condition caused by stinging (as distinct from biting) "

Hal-9000
05-23-2012, 06:08 PM
I love this guy :lol:

FBD
05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
"Ant stings are a cutaneous condition caused by stinging (as distinct from biting) "

interestink, didnt know that

http://scienceblogs.com/photosynthesis/wp-content/blogs.dir/309/files/2012/04/i-353cefaa57f2fe7ff91c46f544611753-stingtree.jpg

DemonGeminiX
05-23-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciEecj40uU

Muddy
05-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Balls!

DemonGeminiX
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Balls!

:lol:

Yeah, I know. I run everytime I see a yellowjacket flying around. God forbid if that thing gets close to me, I throw everything within arms reach at it.

Hal-9000
05-23-2012, 10:52 PM
waft the air using big sweeping motions with a flat hand from a distance (don't swat at them)...

apparently bees and wasps feel air currents like sonar underwater and they think that a larger predator is in the area..

it's worked for me for years now, never been stung

*knocks on wood*

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
:lol:

Yeah, I know. I run everytime I see a yellowjacket flying around. God forbid if that thing gets close to me, I throw everything within arms reach at it.

Yeah, I've been stung 3 different times by yellowjackets....they fucking hurt :lol:

He rates those a 2 so I can't even imagine how much those things above a 2.0 must hurt

Hal-9000
05-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I've been stung 3 different times by yellowjackets....they fucking hurt :lol:

new rating :lol:

Southern Belle
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Wasps and yellow jackets are about equal. Fire ants are almost as bad AFTER the sting. Hornets are supposed to be really bad but I don't know personally.
Yellow flies (deer flies) are a little less painful than wasps, but itch and hurt like hell for days after. Don't get me started on horse flies..

Hal-9000
05-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I used to hike and swim outdoors quite a bit....our horseflies weren't that bad up here. They are huge and when they bite, it feels like a small child took a chomp out of your skin, but I've never had any lasting pain from horsefly bites :lol:

Muddy
05-23-2012, 11:59 PM
A yellow jacket hurts to your bones...

FBD
05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
the white faced hornets are bed because there's not really a limit to how much they can sting you. those fuckers will gang up and keep. coming. back.

Godfather
05-24-2012, 03:34 PM
This guy must be a total nutcase :lol:

I get stunk by yellowjackets or wasps every summer and it sucks :lol: The worst was a family paintball outing when I lay on a nest and got swarmed. Probably got 2 dozen stings on my head and hands. My whole head just throbbed in pain all night

Muddy
05-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't be a little bitch, GF..