PDA

View Full Version : Nurse refuses student inhaler during asthma attack

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM
School says medical release form lacked parent's signature
Shaun Chaiyabhat, Reporter - WKMG-TV Channel 6

DELTONA, Fla. - Volusia County School officials stand by a Deltona High School nurse's decision to refuse a student his inhaler during an asthma attack, citing a lack of a parent's signature on a medical release form.

"It's like something out of a horror film. The person just sits there and watches you die," said Michael Rudi, 17. "She sat there, looked at me and she did nothing."

He said the school dean found his inhaler during a search of his locker last Friday. The inhaler was still in its original packaging -- complete with his name and directions for its use; however, the school took it away because his mother hadn't signed the proper form for him to have it.

School leaders called Sue Rudi when her son started having trouble breathing. She rushed to the office and was taken back to the nurse's office by school administrators and they discovered the teen on the floor.

"As soon as we opened up the door, we saw my son collapsing against the wall on the floor of the nurse's office while she was standing in the window of the locked door looking down at my son, who was in full-blown asthma attack," Rudi said.

Michael Rudi said when he started to pass out from his attack, the nurse locked the door.

"I believe that when I closed my eyes I wasn't going to wake up," he said.

The Director of Student Health Services, Cheryl Selesky, said that parents must sign the medical release form each year, which allows students to carry their prescribed drugs with them in school.

This year, the district had no record of his Rudi's signature, said Selesky.

"I mean its common sense if I saw an animal on the street in distress I would probably stop to help, why wouldn't she help a child," Sue Rudi said. But Rudi is a senior, and his mother said the district has had records of his asthma throughout his years in the school.

She thinks her son could have died because of a technicality.

"How dare you deny my son something that we all take for granted, breath," said Sue Rudi. "Why didn't someone call 911?"

Selesky said the district is looking into whether proper procedures were followed by the school, and while nurses can't give medications without the proper authorization, it is district policy to call 911 when a student cannot breath.

Selesky could not explain why 911 was never called.

"I understand if you can't give it to him call 911," Sue Rudi said. "Why did you not call 911?"

Sue Rudi said she worries about the next student caught in a similar situation, and has filed charges against the nurse with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

"I want to press child endangerment charges for something they did to my son," Rudi said in the 911 call.

Local 6 reached out to the school district officials for more information, but they declined to interview.

lost in melb.
05-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry, but this could only happen in America. Your legal system needs a wake-up call...

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Throw that bitch in jail. Attempted voluntary manslaughter.

lost in melb.
05-24-2012, 01:39 AM
What I said? Come on, you guys can sue like there's no tomorrow, and like no other legal system.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm sure the family will rattle the cages, but that's a civil matter. They can probably drum up enough noise to get some people fired. But it really needs to become a criminal matter. Let's see if the Florida district attorney's office gets involved.

Muddy
05-24-2012, 01:51 AM
The school made a decision based on legality.. If the boy was in peril then 911 should have been called. It's just how things are in this sue crazy society we live in.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 01:54 AM
The school made a decision based on legality.. If the boy was in peril then 911 should have been called. It's just how things are in this sue crazy society we live in.

The school made a decision based on school policy. School policy is not the same thing as the law. We'll see what happens.

Muddy
05-24-2012, 01:56 AM
They cant administer medication to a minor without parental consent.. That is the law.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 01:57 AM
They cant administer medication to a minor without parental consent.. That is the law.

And you can't sit there and watch someone die when you have the ability to help avoid it. That is also the law.

Muddy
05-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Oh did he die? The fault lies in not calling 911 for a medical emergency.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh did he die? The fault lies in not calling 911 for a medical emergency.

No he did not die, but he could have. And there's as much criminal liability in that as there is if he did die.

Muddy
05-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Only because she didn't call the authority's.. Final answer Chuck.. Lol

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Only because she didn't call the authority's.. Final answer Chuck.. Lol

Or they could've just given the kid his inhaler and called it a day before he fell on the floor and passed out. There's something to be said for common sense, bro.

There's an obvious contradictory conflict between these laws. It exposes the flaws in logic behind them. You can't sit there and watch someone die when you have the ability to help them, but as a state employee, you can't dispense medication to save a child's life without parental consent (which there's something more to this in this story). They're in direct conflict with each other. Logically speaking, something has to give. You have to allow the lesser of two evils to prevail in these situations.

Richard Cranium
05-24-2012, 02:19 AM

In a life threatening situation that is not true at all,

Having just finished my EMT cert, this happens to be very fresh in my head. We spent more time on legal bullshit than we did on patient care.

It's called "Implied Consent Law" for those that are medically trained, "Good Samaritan Law" for those that are not, either way you are well protected from the shitbags lawsuits.

I believe that nurse is fucked.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 02:21 AM

Having just finished my EMT cert, this happens to be very fresh in my head. We spent more time on legal bullshit than we did on patient care.

It's called "Implied Consent Law" for those that are medically trained, "Good Samaritan Law" for those that are not, either way you are well protected from the shitbags lawsuits.

That law might not exist in Florida.

Richard Cranium
05-24-2012, 02:22 AM
It's in the national curriculum, fwiw..

Muddy
05-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Or just call 911..

Richard Cranium
05-24-2012, 02:28 AM
yes, first and foremost..

Muddy
05-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Also the ignorant parents could have signed the consent form if this kid was such a sensitive asthmatic.

Muddy
05-24-2012, 02:31 AM
They're as negligent as the nurse.

RBP
05-24-2012, 04:57 AM
Common sense has gone asunder.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Also the ignorant parents could have signed the consent form if this kid was such a sensitive asthmatic.

They're as negligent as the nurse.

The article never explicitly said that they didn't sign it, it just said the form couldn't be located. You can't imply they didn't sign it from the information provided. It is possible that the idiots at the school could have "misplaced" it, and we could count that among the many idiocies in this case.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
It's in the national curriculum, fwiw..

It's a state thing and Florida does have it (I had to look it up), which is another reason that that nurse should be hung by a rope.

Muddy
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
The article never explicitly said that they didn't sign it, it just said the form couldn't be located. You can't imply they didn't sign it from the information provided. It is possible that the idiots at the school could have "misplaced" it, and we could count that among the many idiocies in this case.

I know that story.. My kid lost out on an ice cream party reward due to the schools misplacing of things...

FBD
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I simply cannot imagine sitting there just WATCHING someone choke and writhe in pain while the means for me to help them are right fkning there. !!! fk!!! more concerned with possibly getting reprimanded than being the positive deciding factor in a life or death situation. someone ELSE'S life ffs. fucking fire this bitch NOW.

Acid Trip
05-24-2012, 01:46 PM

This is correct. I got my EMT-B in college and we were taught the same thing. Again, as you said, it's a national certification.