PDA

View Full Version : SpaceX becomes the first private company to dock with the International Space Station

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2012, 03:46 PM
By Mike Wehner, Tecca | Today in Tech

http://i.imgur.com/ULxPZ.jpg

After delays almost too numerous to count, the SpaceX Dragon finally launched into the great unknown on May 22, and made its way to the International Space Station. This morning, at approximately 9:57 a.m. Eastern, the vessel docked with the ISS, marking a major milestone in mankind's history of space exploration.

The Dragon slowly approached the ISS, gradually aligning itself with the ISS and flying in perfect harmony before the space station reached out its long docking arm. After a few tense moments — and folks at NASA headquarters visibly on the edge of their seats — the docking was completed successfully.

The event isn't just important in terms of having a new space-faring vehicle meet up with the aging ISS, but it's the first time a private company has ever successfully launched and docked a ship outside of our atmosphere. The Dragon was unmanned, and the capsule was sent to deliver cargo to the astronauts on board the space station, but a successful flight means the possibility for a manned mission might be close behind.

Despite the gravity of the situation, NASA kept a good sense of humor, and when the capsule was eventually nabbed by the space station's arm, astronaut Don Pettit cracked "It looks like we have a Dragon by the tail."

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2012, 04:31 PM
So how much does Space X get paid for this? Or was it just funded by themselves to prove they could do it?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
So how much does Space X get paid for this? Or was it just funded by themselves to prove they could do it?

I think this came under the $75 million grant from NASA...if it works like it has so far, then I think they would negotiate a price for further missions to the space station.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
SpaceX, which has received a $1.6 billion contract from NASA to conduct up to 12 flights to the International Space Station (of which $390 million has been paid out so far), claims it will soon be able to fly astronauts to the space station at a cost of just $20 million per seat.

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/spacex-launch-dragon-capsule-falcon.php

Sounds like that got a pretty nice contract

Acid Trip
05-25-2012, 04:49 PM
SpaceX, which has received a $1.6 billion contract from NASA to conduct up to 12 flights to the International Space Station (of which $390 million has been paid out so far), claims it will soon be able to fly astronauts to the space station at a cost of just $20 million per seat.

$20 million per seat? I wonder how much a seat cost NASA.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
$20 million per seat? I wonder how much a seat cost NASA.

According to NASA, in 2011, the average cost of one space shuttle mission was $450 million

Acid Trip
05-25-2012, 04:57 PM
According to NASA, in 2011, the average cost of one space shuttle mission was $450 million

$450 million / 7 astronauts per shuttle (on average) = $64 million and change per seat.

So we save $44 million per flight. Private companies > government every time.