PDA

View Full Version : Mother's anger after daughter, 8, is handed 'joke' award for coming up with most excuses for not having homework

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 10:58 AM
By Phil Vinter - The Daily Mail

The dog ate it, the computer exploded, I spilt spaghetti bolognaise over it.

School children have been coming up with excuses for failing to hand in their homework since the concept was invented.

Now a frustrated 3rd grade teacher in Tucson, Arizona, has decided to recognise the art of homework dodging by giving out a Catastrophe Award to the student who wriggled out of handing in homework the most.

But Christina Valdez says handing her eight-year-old daughter Cassandra Garcia the certificate, which is signed by her teacher beside a smiley face, is humiliating.

http://i.imgur.com/d7p0r.jpg

She said it was presented to her young daughter in front of classmates at Desert Springs Academy.

Ms Valdez told Fox News she thought it was a cruel thing to do to a young child.

She added: 'The teacher announced the award in front of the whole class and all the children were laughing at her.'

The mother says the school principal did not offer a response when she went to see her. She added: 'She blew me off and said that it was a joke that was played - that the teachers joke around with children.

'I think it's cruel and no child should be given an award like this. It's disturbing.'

http://i.imgur.com/fLqMy.png

University of Arizona College of Education psychologist Sheri Bauman backed up Ms Valdez's comments saying handing out such an award could be counter-productive, especially for such a young child.

Former teacher Marlon Jones said such a booby prize doesn't empower children or make them feel better about learning.

On KGUN9's Facebook page people reacted negatively to the award - some even described the decision to present it to a student as bullying.

Lana Tucson commented: 'We talk about bullying in schools by other children, but never about bullying by teachers.'

However, some didn't see it as an issue. Mike Miller wrote: 'Some people can't take a joke. I would laugh if my kid received an award like that because I teach my kids to deal with all aspects of life.'

Ms Valdez now says she will not be taking her daughter back to the school next year.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Gee, if there was only some way to prevent this....some simple solution that the mother could have implemented....LIKE MAKING HER KID DO HER FUCKING HOMEWORK :roll:

FBD
05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
MY BABY can only be disciplined by ME since I OWN HER now dont you EVER do anything to humiliate her, only *I* can denigrate her!!! :roll: