PDA

View Full Version : NYC resident warns tourists to use 'best manners'

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
By New York Post

http://i.imgur.com/1mY7b.jpg

NEW YORK -- An angry resident in one of Manhattan's trendiest neighborhoods slapped posters on light poles in an effort to lecture misbehaving tourists on how to behave when visiting the High Line and other local hotspots.

"Attention High Line Tourists," the screed in Chelsea begins. "The neighborhood around the High Line is not a tourist attraction. It is a small and fragile neighborhood. So while here, please use your best manners."

It goes on to complain about annoying tourist habits like crowding sidewalks and snapping pictures along the neighborhood's historic buildings and tree-lined streets.

The notice adds, "Buildings are not tourist attractions: People live there, and sitting on the steps and taking pictures is as invasive, rude and inappropriate as a group of strangers sitting on the steps of your home and taking pictures of it and you."

It also asks tourists to "please consider how you would feel if three million people a year from around the world trampled your street, your neighborhood, and your local park, and act accordingly -- in the way that your morals or religion or general human consideration would dictate."

But the posters are not going down well with lots of New Yorkers -- who, it turns out, actually like the out-of-towners.

Some wrote scathing comments about the posters on the website Jeremiah's Vanishing New York, which first reported on them.

"Dear Chelsea, Nice problem to have. Wanna trade? Sincerely, Bedford-Stuyvesant," one commenter said.

The posters' complaint also does not add up in other ways.

It understates the number of visitors to the High Line, which drew 3.7 million visitors last year, and overlooks the fact that according to the group Friends of the High Line, about half of the park's visitors are New Yorkers.

"I like talking to the different tourists who come into the neighborhood -- I think it adds to the flavor," Nidia Carrero said.

The 51-year-old anesthesiologist and Chelsea resident said she was "surprised" anyone would be upset about the visitors.

Hugh_Janus
05-29-2012, 10:12 PM
how about.... go fuck yourself....