PDA

View Full Version : One Million Moms targets DC, Marvel over gay storylines

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
by Kevin Melrose - Comic Book Resources

http://i.imgur.com/qrHsP.jpg

One Million Moms, the conservative Christian initiative that launched an unsuccessful campaign in February urging Toys “R” Us to stop selling the issue of Life with Archie depicting the wedding of gay character Kevin Keller, has now turned its attention to Marvel and DC Comics.

A project of the nonprofit American Family Association, which is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, One Million Moms has sounded the alarm about this week’s twin announcements that DC will reintroduce one of its “major iconic” characters as gay, and that Marvel will wed Northstar to his boyfriend Kyle Jinadu in Astonishing X-Men #51.

“Children desire to be just like superheroes,” reads the missive on the One Million Moms website. “Children mimic superhero actions and even dress up in costumes to resemble these characters as much as possible. Can you imagine little boys saying, ‘I want a boyfriend or husband like X-Men?’ This is ridiculous! Why do adult gay men need comic superheroes as role models? They don’t but do want to indoctrate [sic] impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light. These companies are heavily influencing our youth by using children’s superheroes to desensitize and brainwash them in thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable. As Christians, we know that homosexuality is a sin (Romans 1:26-27).”

The notice goes on to assert that, “Children do not know what straight, homosexual, or coming out of the closet even means, but DC Comics and Marvel are using superheroes to confuse them on this topic to raise questions and awareness of an alternative lifestyle choice. These companies are prompting a premature discussion on sexual orientation.”

One Million Moms, whose membership falls far, far short of that number, if its Facebook page is any indication, calls on parents to email DC and Marvel and urge them to “change and cancel all plans of homosexual superhero characters immediately. Ask them to do the right thing and reverse their decision to have sexual orientation displayed to readers.”

Oddly enough, the letter also references the group’s failed bid to have Life With Archie #16 pulled from shelves by Toys “R” Us (“Toys ‘R’ Us had the audacity to display ‘Archie- Just Married’ at the front of the store by the checkout counters”). The effort apparently backfired, as the issue quickly sold out. Around the same time, One Million Moms launched a boycott against JC Penney for hiring lesbian talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres as its spokeswoman. That effort too quickly fizzled.

FBD
05-29-2012, 12:15 PM
as if we werent having enough gay shit shoved in our faces as it is :roll: these dumb fucks dont even give a shit that they're shooting themselves in the pocket, then in the foot. hope DC & marvel go out of business for worrying about pushing an agenda instead of doing what they've always been doing, i.e. make fucking comics.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
It's called 'capitalism'...a private company can do whatever it wants and try and market and sell any product it wants. If there is a market for the product, then people will buy it. If there's no market for it, then the company loses money on said product.

It isn't the business of some uptight religious group (or any other freaking group for that matter) to dictate what a company can produce or try and sell as long as it's legal.

FBD
05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
yup, and I hope people punish these morons where it hurts, right in the pocketbook. capitalism at work :thumbsup:

Muddy
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Is that a real issue cover?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Is that a real issue cover?

It was with the story, so I believe so, but I can't say yes for sure

Muddy
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Holy Shit!

Arkady Renko
05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
they're merely a few thousand underfucked bigots, so I don't see why their intolerant attention whoring antics should be rewarded with national media coverage

Muddy
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
they're merely a few thousand underfucked bigots, so I don't see why their intolerant attention whoring antics should be rewarded with national media coverage

I'm not impressed by this comic/modern social issue book myself.. Am I an "underfucked bigot"?

Arkady Renko
05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not impressed by this comic/modern social issue book myself.. Am I an "underfucked bigot"?

Are you trying to pressure Marvel into publishing only comics that you like?

Muddy
05-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Are you trying to pressure Marvel into publishing only comics that you like?

I'd be glad to let them know that their current issue cover repulses me and is inappropriate for the end caps at toys-r-us..

Arkady Renko
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
perfectly legitimate IMO. Even those activists, it's their prerogative to be homophobes, I just resent their tendency to ram their convictions down other people's throats and then make a huge production of it.

MrsM
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Perhaps they should name the organization to Million Mom and Muddy Gut :)

I think it's a smart move by Marvel - they get media attention for free, some parents will tell their kids not to read it - which will make the kids want to read it and if demand is really low then they pull the excess issues and now it becomes a collectors item.

People need to lighten up - if a major concern in your life is that others are gay, or that a comic book has a gay character then overall you must have a pretty good life.

Don't like it - don't buy it... but don't tell others that they can't

FBD
05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
:roll: because of course hetero's pushing their agenda rather blatantly and forcefully on teh homos would be met with crickets, right?

oh wait, this is a one way street we're on...

MrsM
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
:roll: because of course hetero's pushing their agenda rather blatantly and forcefully on teh homos would be met with crickets, right?

oh wait, this is a one way street we're on...

Who's forcing anything? it's 2 men about to kiss on a comic book... I bet I can find many comic book examples where a man and woman are in the same position... I don't hear anyone making any noise about that.

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Out of the million Moms won't some be surprised to find out that one of their kids is gay....perhaps some parents here too in the coming years.

I think marriage is legit for gays and heteros, why would you try and "shield" your child from part of life? Perhaps a life your child will live one day....

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Remember the million man march...wasnt quite a million ;)

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
all this homer phobic talk is tiring...

*puts on pilates outfit and stretches*

Muddy
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Theres nothing homophobic about being repulsed by two dudes going at it.. :lol:

MrsM
05-29-2012, 05:26 PM

ok that made me lol :lol:

Muddy
05-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Your skewed view on normality makes me larf too.. guh huh...

Acid Trip
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Marvel/DC are free to make comics about whatever they please. The Moms are free to complain about said comic choices.

Nothing to see here.

Muddy
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
But I was getting ready to dance...

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 05:46 PM

LOL!

I guess I have empathy.Imagine if you were a gay kid and had to hide what you thought were quite normal urges....for most of your life. There's a harmful psychological element at play there, no matter how comfy you are with your sexuality. It's the public perception that makes gay people feel like they're doing something wrong or dirty...when really they are simply following their normal biological impulses.

I'll go one step further...what if one of your children is gay and comes to you and says - Daddy I have urges to be with girls/guys/whatevers, am I normal?

IDK...it's a new world and I don't think it should be like when we grew up. Live and let live and don't make such a big deal out of comic book covers/gay marriage/same sex folks having kids....and maybe the stigma that goes with being gay will vanish over time too?

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
LOL!

I guess I have empathy.Imagine if you were a gay kid and had to hide what you thought were quite normal urges....for most of your life. There's a harmful psychological element at play there, no matter how comfy you are with your sexuality. It's the public perception that makes gay people feel like they're doing something wrong or dirty...when really they are simply following their normal biological impulses.

I'll go one step further...what if one of your children is gay and comes to you and says - Daddy I have urges to be with girls/guys/whatevers, am I normal?

IDK...it's a new world and I don't think it should be like when we grew up. Live and let live and don't make such a big deal out of comic book covers/gay marriage/same sex folks having kids....and maybe the stigma that goes with being gay will vanish over time too?

I see the words you are writing and I can empathize.. But I can also say with a clear conscious and not from behind a veil of supposed homophobia that there is nothing attractive about two guys going at it.. That doesn't make me scared or intimidated or whatever crazed definition Wikipedia has demonized the heterosexual folk with these days.. It's not normal and shouldn't be glorified on the end caps at Toys R Us.. If a kid follows his/her own path and becomes what they are going to become, thats fine.. But to glorify homosexually and shove that shit down kids throats (just because some little prick cartoonist is unhappy in life and wants to stir the pot) is just not right..

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I see the words you are writing and I can empathize.. But I can also say with a clear conscious and not from behind a veil of supposed homophobia that there is nothing attractive about two guys going at it.. That doesn't make me scared or intimidated or whatever crazed definition Wikipedia has demonized the heterosexual folk with these days.. It's not normal and shouldn't be glorified on the end caps at Toys R Us.. If a kid follows his/her own path and becomes what they are going to become, thats fine.. But to glorify homosexually and shove that shit down kids throats (just because some little prick cartoonist is unhappy in life and wants to stir the pot) is just not right..

So seeing a hetero couple on a comic book cover is "OK" in your mind?

you are part of the problem dude, you just can't see it from in there :lol:

Where a gay person seeing a gay couple on a book cover would not call it glorifying homosexuality or shoving it down someone's throat, you do....

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:08 PM
So seeing a hetero couple on a comic book cover is "OK" in your mind?

you are part of the problem dude, you just can't see it from in there :lol:

You are part of the problem as well imo, you can't see things my way. So there.. hyuk hyuk hyuk

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 06:15 PM
aww don't be like that.....I just find it humorous you would use words like 'glorifying' and 'shoving it down someone's throat'...when it's part of life.The key is it's not part of your life, so you see it as wrong = you don't really have empathy at all.

Hey...it's ok to be repulsed, just the same as it's ok for me not be repulsed by the same thing :thumbsup:

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
aww don't be like that.....I just find it humorous you would use words like 'glorifying' and 'shoving it down someone's throat'...when it's part of life.The key is it's not part of your life, so you see it as wrong = you don't really have empathy at all.

Hey...it's ok to be repulsed, just the same as it's ok for me not be repulsed by the same thing :thumbsup:

Like I said.. I can see what your laying down.. I just don't think it's something to be glorified on the shelves of main street America.

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
There's that G word again :lol: I guess if both of us were gay it would be a different conversation, glorified wouldn't be mentioned at all...we'd just both see it as a normal part of our lives and what's the big deal? scenario sort of thing...

I missed you and Porky on the weekend....c'mere and give us a big ghey hug :)

RBP
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Homo shoved down throats... :giggle:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:27 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2-ar23kMNvo/TM0RpncMLYI/AAAAAAAAAV4/Nlgw5CzNdbk/The_Kiss_Tanya_Chalkin.jpg

I think I'm going to puke

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 06:29 PM
That's another thing...how come I can watch hours of girls french kissing and when guys do it I have to avert my eyes? :confused:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Gay (man) sex is gross, the other side of gay is just hawt

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Gay (man) sex is gross, the other side of gay is just hawt

What if it's two really hot trannies? :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Thats fine.

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
*squeezes ass*

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
*implants tits*

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 06:39 PM
What if it's two really hot trannies? :-k

I like one hot trannie with a real girl...

Initially it looks like an awesome lesbo scene and then WOOPS, out comes the cock and the real girl gets her vadge wrecked by the Jennifer Lopez lookalike :face:

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:39 PM
*gently weeps*

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:49 PM
*Swing Low, Sweet Chariot*

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
blonde trannies or brunette?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
the hot asian/filipino one I sent you

http://h6img.com/g/9/happy-tuesday-c3-4.gif

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 07:39 PM
that dude is fckin hot :lol:

OOPSIE

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
He does have one of the best boob jobs I have ever seen

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 07:43 PM
the one flick me and RBP were discussing...Transsexual Celebrities 2 (or something like that) features at least 2 trannies that are smokin...as in, you wouldn't know until the moment of truth :(

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, then at that point you're all ready to worked up not to finish :twisted:

Muddy
05-29-2012, 07:46 PM
fags

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, then at that point you're all ready to worked up not to finish :twisted:

Trannie - Ok baby, shove that big dick in my ass
hal - No, I don't do that sort of thing
Trannie - Gonna be a short date with that attitude mister :lol:

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 07:48 PM
fags

We now prefer - Vaginally Challenged :x

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 07:48 PM
fags

:lol:

MrsM
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM

:lol:

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I need to change my username tag :doh:

RBP
05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
the one flick me and RBP were discussing...Transsexual Celebrities 2 (or something like that) features at least 2 trannies that are smokin...as in, you wouldn't know until the moment of truth :(

Don't bring me into this... :lol:

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Don't bring me into this... :lol:

You said the exact same thing to the hot trannie...and look how that ended up :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWYtFCJm8Y

RBP
05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
You said the exact same thing to the hot trannie...and look how that ended up :lol:

Hey :x

What happens in fight club stays in fight club! :lol:

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Those chicks weren't supposed to bring hidden weapons into fight club :sad2:

Godfather
05-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Archie comics have been shoving huge boobed women at an awkward red-head more and more for 70 years. I remember as an 8 year old getting worked up for Betty and Veronica practically naked in swimsuits and even more so from what I can tell at the grocery store checkout today. Do these 'million moms' have a complaint filed over that?

Social progress and sex is as much a part of graphic novels as anything. And a company can chose to do this if they like. I couldn't agree with Lance more.

Now I do feel it will torpedo sales but that's neither here nor there.

RBP
05-30-2012, 03:30 AM
Archie comics have been shoving huge boobed women at an awkward red-head more and more for 70 years. I remember as an 8 year old getting worked up for Betty and Veronica practically naked in swimsuits and even more so from what I can tell at the grocery store checkout today. Do these 'million moms' have a complaint filed over that?

Social progress and sex is as much a part of graphic novels as anything. And a company can chose to do this if they like. I couldn't agree with Lance more.

Now I do feel it will torpedo sales but that's neither here nor there.

The social agendas get tiring... there is way too much promotion of homosexuality.

Why is it that some people think that "progress" always has to mean liberalizing societal standards. Where does it end?

Godfather
05-30-2012, 05:18 AM
The social agendas get tiring... there is way too much promotion of homosexuality.

Why is it that some people think that "progress" always has to mean liberalizing societal standards. Where does it end?

Complain about there being too much sexuality in general and I could see your grievance. That's become extremely liberal, stupidly so. Comic books are FULL of tight-latex, booby women and ripped dudes and their hook-ups.... But one takes a leap and does a male-male story and it's a gay agenda?

I think we're back to the same disagreement as our last debate. "Where does it end" is a ridiculous stance, and quite offensive to the Gay community which is millions strong. Homosexuality isn't a gateway to donkey sex and public orgy in every Batman comic. Why shouldn't it be a part of the microcosm of these DC/Marvel universes like it is our own.

RBP
05-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Complain about there being too much sexuality in general and I could see your grievance. That's become extremely liberal, stupidly so. Comic books are FULL of tight-latex, booby women and ripped dudes and their hook-ups.... But one takes a leap and does a male-male story and it's a gay agenda?

I think we're back to the same disagreement as our last debate. "Where does it end" is a ridiculous stance, and quite offensive to the Gay community. This is 7-10% of the population we're talking about. Homosexuality isn't a gateway to donkey sex and public orgy in every Batman comic.

I have no reference point on comic books so I can't argue that point...

On the latter argument, it's hardly ridiculous. Yes, it is 7-10% of the population and yet we devote far more of public exposure and discourse than 7-10%. Just look at this board.

I feel the same way about "black" issues. It's 13% of the population and yet it gets discussed far more.

You can't tell me there isn't a gay agenda any more than you can tell me there isn't a feminist agenda or a black agenda or a Latino agenda. The problem is that what you define as "progressive" sexual thinking is everything that is opposed to a traditional family definition. You should understand that I respect someone truly being gay, and accept it as an alternative lifestyle. That doesn't mean that it needs to be mainstreamed as a natural alternative.

RBP
05-30-2012, 05:59 AM
God you edit a lot :lol:

Godfather
05-30-2012, 06:05 AM
God you edit a lot :lol:

Oh my god I know, I'm so broken :lol:

RBP
05-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Oh my god I know, I'm so broken :lol:

That's it? I made another cocktail for this?

Hrrrfffppphhhmmm...

argue with me dammit :x

Godfather
05-30-2012, 06:13 AM
On the latter argument, it's hardly ridiculous. Yes, it is 7-10% of the population and yet we devote far more of public exposure and discourse than 7-10%. Just look at this board.

It's disproportionally all over this board because a group of women (of which thousands are no doubt are oblivious to or intolerant of their own gay children) are out there protesting the right of artists and novelists to have gay characters... or perhaps the right of those gay characters to get married. ;) :lol: Who knows exactly, but it's harmful intolerance parents of all people, shouldn't be preaching - cue the outrage. If these Million Moms protest the nuclear family when Mike & Carol Brady sleep in the same bed on a re-run, I promise I'll get pissed then too.

As for the rest of it, I'll respond in the morning, all this editing makes me tired :lol:

RBP
05-30-2012, 06:15 AM
you pussy. fine... to be continued.

DemonGeminiX
05-30-2012, 07:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QJPME.jpg

Loser
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Barring the fact that it's a bronies picture, it's the only one that truly conveys my feelings about this topic.

http://chzmemeafterdark.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/naughty-memes-untitled9.jpg

FBD
05-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I have no reference point on comic books so I can't argue that point...

I feel the same way about "black" issues. It's 13% of the population and yet it gets discussed far more.

You can't tell me there isn't a gay agenda any more than you can tell me there isn't a feminist agenda or a black agenda or a Latino agenda. The problem is that what you define as "progressive" sexual thinking is everything that is opposed to a traditional family definition. You should understand that I respect someone truly being gay, and accept it as an alternative lifestyle. That doesn't mean that it needs to be mainstreamed as a natural alternative.
7-10% of the population?? are you kidding me, who said that, "the gay community?" that's like Progressives declaring themselves and their twisted ass views to be 15% of the country when its really the ~7% as the gay community claims.

sheesh. and all I started out saying was marvel and DC are probably going to take a hit in the pocketbook because of this - hey, its their prerogative. if they value their agenda more than they do their business, have at it.

Muddy
05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Barring the fact that it's a bronies picture, it's the only one that truly conveys my feelings about this topic.

http://chzmemeafterdark.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/naughty-memes-untitled9.jpg

Hey! well thanks for contributing.. :)

Acid Trip
05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Being gay is self inflicted natural selection. Homophobes should applaud gay people's choice to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Loser
05-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Hey! well thanks for contributing.. :)

I want my contribution button. ;)

On a serious note though, has anyone been physically harmed because of this comic? Then what does it fucking matter?

I don't see packs of gay men jumping and lynching straight men because they are hetero, but I do see the opposite.

If they aren't hurting anyone, why give a shit? :shrug:

Hal-9000
05-30-2012, 03:32 PM

I think we're back to the same disagreement as our last debate. "Where does it end" is a ridiculous stance, and quite offensive to the Gay community which is millions strong. Homosexuality isn't a gateway to donkey sex and public orgy in every Batman comic. Why shouldn't it be a part of the microcosm of these DC/Marvel universes like it is our own.

+1 sweetie :)

RBP
05-31-2012, 12:54 AM
I stand alone I see. :lol:

I am just trying to look at the bigger picture. I could give too fucks about the comic books. Like I said I have no frame of reference on the subject.

Southern Belle
05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
I stand alone I see. :lol:

I am just trying to look at the bigger picture. I could give too fucks about the comic books. Like I said I have no frame of reference on the subject.
Same here, you're not alone.

RBP
05-31-2012, 01:40 AM
Same here, you're not alone.

thank you Belle. :hug: