PDA

View Full Version : Official: 160 girls poisoned at Afghan school

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
From Masoud Popalzai, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/HATH0.jpg

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A hospital in northern Afghanistan admitted 160 schoolgirls Tuesday after they were poisoned, a Takhar province police official said.

Their classrooms might have been sprayed with a toxic material before the girls entered, police spokesman Khalilullah Aseer said. He blamed the Taliban.

The incident, the second in a week's time, was reported at the Aahan Dara Girls School in Taluqan, the provincial capital.

The girls, ages 10 to 20, complained of headaches, dizziness and vomiting before being taken to the hospital, said Hafizullah Safi, director of the provincial health department.

More than half of them were discharged within a few hours of receiving treatment, Safi said. The health department collected blood samples and sent them to Kabul for testing.

Last week, more than 120 girls and three teachers were admitted to a hospital after a similar suspected poisoning.

"The Afghan people know that the terrorists and the Taliban are doing these things to threaten girls and stop them going to school," Aseer said last week. "That's something we and the people believe. Now we are implementing democracy in Afghanistan and we want girls to be educated, but the government's enemies don't want this."

But earlier this week, the Taliban denied responsibility, instead blaming U.S. and NATO forces for the poisonings in an attempt to "defame" the insurgent group.

There have been several instances of girls being poisoned in schools in recent years.

In April, also in Takhar province, more than 170 women and girls were hospitalized after drinking apparently poisoned well water at a school. Local health officials blamed the acts on extremists opposed to women's education.

While nearly all the incidents involve girls, earlier this month, nearly 400 boys at a school in Khost province fell ill after drinking water from a well that a health official said may have been poisoned.

The Taliban recently demanded the closure of schools in two eastern provinces. In Ghazni, the school closure was in retaliation for the government's ban on motorbikes often used by insurgents. People in Wardak said the Taliban has been a little more lenient and has allowed schools to open late after making changes to the curriculum.

The battle indicates broader fears about Afghanistan's future amid the drawdown of U.S. troops in the country.

NATO leaders last week signed off on U.S. President Barack Obama's exit strategy from Afghanistan, which calls for an end to combat operations next year and the withdrawal of the U.S.-led international military force by the end of 2014.

During the Taliban's rule from 1996 to 2001, many Afghan girls were not allowed to attend school. The schools began reopening after the regime was toppled by the U.S.-led invasion in 2001. However, observers say abuse of women remains common in the post-Taliban era and is often accepted in conservative and traditional families, where women are barred from school and sometimes subjected to domestic violence.

Afghan Education Minister Dr. Farooq Wardak told the Education World Forum in London in January 2011 that the Taliban had abandoned its opposition to education for girls, but the group has never confirmed that.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 04:58 PM
:facepalm:

MrsM
05-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm so glad to be Canadian and not have to put up with that crap

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 05:17 PM
what are you doing online? Cover your face and get in the bedroom

MrsM
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
what are you doing online? Cover your face and get in the bedroom

:nana: :canada:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/personnages/burka.gif

Southern Belle
05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Fucking barbarians.

Muddy
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I love religion.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I love religion.

The bible isnt much better towards women. But, people like to ignore big parts of it so its more palatable

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ofe_bibl.htm

How the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) generally viewed women:

Women's behavior was extremely limited in ancient times, much as the women of Afghanistan during the recent Taliban oppression. They were:

Unmarried women were not allowed to leave the home of their father without permission.
Married women were not allowed to leave the home of their husband, without permission.
They were normally restricted to roles of little or no authority.
They could not testify in court.
They could not appear in public venues.
They were not allowed to talk to strangers.
They had to be doubly veiled when they left their homes. 1
In the Hebrew Scriptures, women were generally viewed in a negative light:

Goofy
05-29-2012, 06:01 PM
But earlier this week, the Taliban denied responsibility, instead blaming U.S. and NATO forces for the poisonings in an attempt to "defame" the insurgent group.

:roll: Muppets

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:05 PM
The bible isnt much better towards women. But, people like to ignore big parts of it so its more palatable

You should go reenact the crucifixion..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Neither was the Constitution towards anyone that wasn't a white male landowner, but times change ;)

The difference is, and I don't care if it's not PC to say it, is that Muslims are and always have been barbarians.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Christians have a history of violence, look at the crusades. I imagine if you lived in the middle east and saw the west as a christian nation, you would think christians are barbarians as well.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Christians have a history of violence, look at the crusades. I imagine if you lived in the middle east and saw the west as a christian nation, you would think christians are barbarians as well.

I might be wrong but, I'm pretty sure there haven't been any Crusades in several hundred years, meanwhile in the Middle East, they continue to live in the Dark Ages.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
:lol:

You could say we are crusading in the middle east now....you could

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
*bing*

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 06:24 PM
:lol:

You could say we are crusading in the middle east now....you could

You could...if we were trying to claim the Holy Lands in the name of the Catholic Church...but I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on right now.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Claim it for Israel (which makes it ours)

Muddy
05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Israel should have never happened at the hands of European countries... It's the root of all this trouble... If they had done it on their own, so be it.. That was the major mistake of our century..

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
You cant say that, now your an anti-Semite

Muddy
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
No doubt.. For gods sake never speak ill of the jews...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
At least the Jews won't behead you if you draw a cartoon of their god

Muddy
05-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Agreed.. But why would they? They have the United States protecting them.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 07:11 PM

They did have Jesus crucified, so there is that ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 07:13 PM
They did have Jesus crucified, so there is that ;)

2,000 years ago...way to hold a grudge :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2012, 07:14 PM
So can we stop hating on Hitler now, I mean it was sooooo long ago.

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM

Lance beat me to it but I'll say it...your Constitution and some laws that still exist treat women and people in general badly....and your Constitution isn't over 2000 years old my friend.

You gotta stop equating Christianity with stories like this. These Muslims are trying to kill children in 2012 for getting an education. No Christian faith I've heard of or participated in professes the killing of innocents.

These guys are cowards and bullies plain and simple bro...my pastor has an X-box :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Those kids were most likely Muslims as well

FBD
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Israel should have never happened at the hands of European countries... It's the root of all this trouble... If they had done it on their own, so be it.. That was the major mistake of our century..

:lol: So you're trying to say we wouldnt have any terrorism if it werent for WWII and the creation of Israel?

Muddy
05-30-2012, 12:41 PM
:lol: So you're trying to say we wouldnt have any terrorism if it werent for WWII and the creation of Israel?
hyuk yuk yuk "wouldn't" is a little strong..