PDA

View Full Version : German teen solves 300-year-old mathematical riddle posed by Sir Isaac Newton

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2012, 11:18 PM
NewsCore

DRESDEN, Germany – A German 16-year-old has become the first person to solve a mathematical problem posed by Sir Isaac Newton more than 300 years ago.

Shouryya Ray worked out how to calculate exactly the path of a projectile under gravity and subject to air resistance, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

The Indian-born teen said he solved the problem that had stumped mathematicians for centuries while working on a school project.

Ray won a research award for his efforts and has been labeled a genius by the German media, but he put it down to "curiosity and schoolboy naivety."

"When it was explained to us that the problems had no solutions, I thought to myself, 'well, there's no harm in trying,'" he said.

Ray's family moved to Germany when he was 12 after his engineer father got a job at a technical college. He said his father instilled in him a "hunger for mathematics" and taught him calculus at the age of six.

Ray's father, Subhashis, said his son's mathematical prowess quickly outstripped his own considerable knowledge.

"He never discussed his project with me before it was finished and the mathematics he used are far beyond my reach," he said.

Despite not speaking a word of German when he arrived, Ray will this week sit Germany's high school leaving exams, two years ahead of his peers.

Newton posed the problem, relating to the movement of projectiles through the air, in the 17th century. Mathematicians had only been able to offer partial solutions until now.

If that wasn't enough of an achievement, Ray has also solved a second problem, dealing with the collision of a body with a wall, that was posed in the 19th century.

Both problems Ray resolved are from the field of dynamics and his solutions are expected to contribute to greater precision in areas such as ballistics.

Hal-9000
05-29-2012, 11:25 PM
DGX gets pwnd :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-29-2012, 11:33 PM
DGX gets pwnd :lol:

And you don't? Everyone on this and every other forum discussing this kid's achievement has been pwned by this kid. This speaks to the state of our education system. Kids should be expected to be able to master the stuff this kid has mastered. He's more than proven that it can be done. Whoever says that they can't learn Calculus just needs to look at this kid and put their head down in shame and shut the fuck up.

You're trying to rip on me but you know what the difference between you and me is? I'll actually be able to read and understand his solution.

So :nana:

Muddy
05-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Immigration done the right way...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Yeah. Better weapons. Guess it has no other potential

Muddy
05-30-2012, 01:01 AM
:lol:

FBD
05-30-2012, 12:20 PM
parenting done the right way - teach the kid as young as possible. calculus at 6, no problem, kids can do all that arithmetic by the time they're two if you actually try to teach them and keep up with it. my niece is a year and a half, bro already had her on skates this year.

Muddy
05-30-2012, 12:45 PM
My 4 year old has a hello kitty AR-15..

Acid Trip
05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Will he use Calculus to defend himself when he's getting stuffed into a trash can by the O'Doyles?

Hal-9000
05-30-2012, 03:41 PM
And you don't? Everyone on this and every other forum discussing this kid's achievement has been pwned by this kid. This speaks to the state of our education system. Kids should be expected to be able to master the stuff this kid has mastered. He's more than proven that it can be done. Whoever says that they can't learn Calculus just needs to look at this kid and put their head down in shame and shut the fuck up.

You're trying to rip on me but you know what the difference between you and me is? I'll actually be able to read and understand his solution.

wow....sensitive much? :lol: I don't proclaim to be a math whiz with this degree and that...it's not my forte :hand:

You know what the difference between you and me is? I don't have the time to make the complete list......:lol:

it was back handed compliment you ninny, so reign in those claws :x

Acid Trip
05-30-2012, 04:04 PM

So because some kid figured out a physics problem he's pwned "everyone on this forum?" A physics problem that has almost no use outside of ballistics no less. An awful knee jerk reaction to a silly comment from Hal wouldn't you say?

I'll take my mastery of capitalism over a couple physics problems any day.

wow....sensitive much?

You struck a nerve with 3 words. That's some kind of record.

Hal-9000
05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Newton is actually one of my heroes along with Galileo...

DGX takes his math very seriously and loves complex problems....I should have remembered :oops: