PDA

View Full Version : Why Tablets Are Just a Fad

Teh One Who Knocks
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
By Katherine Noyes, PCWorld

At this week's CTIA Wireless 2011 conference in Orlando, tablets have taken center stage. Not only have multiple new devices been announced, but predictions have been made that tablets will ultimately replace laptops as the standard, "post-PC" workplace computer.

I don't agree. Ever since rumors of Apple's first iPad began to look credible back in 2009, I've been watching the tablet space with a mixture of wonder and confusion. After all, the devices really don't offer anything you can't get on a smartphone or a notebook computer, and their form factor is inconvenient, at best.

Yet strong sales are backing up the hype--at least for now--suggesting something about the devices has caught on with consumers.

What is that mysterious "something"? Purely marketing, I believe. Apple is nothing if not master of the glitzy sales pitch, and there's never been better proof of that than the iPad's current success.

Mark my words: The device--and all the others of its ilk that have sprung up for a piece of the action--are nothing more than a passing fad, at least in the mainstream. Here's why.

1. Limited Functionality

As far as I can tell, tablets do not offer any significant functionality that's not already available on a smartphone or notebook computer, yet they lack critical components like keyboards. In fact, you can get a laptop with considerably more memory and storage and a much better CPU for a significantly lower price, as my PCWorld colleague recently pointed out.

So why the hysteria? It's a fancy new toy, and--in the case of the iPad--one from Apple, at that. Never underestimate consumers' desire to impress each other with the latest and greatest gadget, especially if they're Apple fans. "Latest and greatest," however, doesn't tend to stay in one place for long.

2. It's Inconvenient

Unlike smartphones, the tablet form factor is too large to fit in a pocket or purse, yet it doesn't offer anywhere near the functionality of only slightly larger devices like notebooks and laptop computers. I just don't see why you'd be willing to carry one of these things around--in addition to a phone, most likely--when you could have something convenient (a single good smartphone) or powerful (a laptop).

3. Waning Excitement

It's true that other manufacturers are still hot on Apple's trail with their own iPad-like contenders, but the release of the iPad 2 made it clear that excitement with the devices is already fading. Reviews of Apple's new tablet were generally mixed, suggesting that reality is beginning to sink in.

4. Remember the PDA?

Back in the 1990s, PDAs were the must-have device du jour, but they went on to spawn today's smartphones. And indeed, the value they offered--and still offer, in smartphone form--is hard to argue with: portability, organizational tools and Internet connectivity, to name just a few. The natural evolution in this space led from something bulky but useful into something conveniently portable and useful; why would we want to go back again?

It's no secret that I am not an Apple fan, as its devices are so closed and restrictive. For that reason, I'd be far more inclined to look at Android tablets such as the Motorola Xoom--which, I should add, could certainly be useful in niche applications such as health care and inventory control.

For my purposes, though, I just can't be bothered. I see no reason to own a tablet, and fully expect them to fade out of the mainstream over the next few years.

Godfather
03-26-2011, 04:09 PM
People claimed there was no market for cell phones, telephones, computers, printers, movies with sound, and yes... the iPod

I'm always baffled people continue to think they have the wit and foresight to predict what technology is going to work. Things change too fast and people don't buy on practicality alone.

redred
03-26-2011, 05:42 PM
fad or not people are buying these things thats all that matters

RBP
03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
fad or not people are buying these things thats all that matters

not me - not interested. I am going to get a 10.1" netbook for $150... fine for the coffee shop.

redred
03-26-2011, 06:11 PM
not me - not interested. I am going to get a 10.1" netbook for $150... fine for the coffee shop.

i agree i wouldn't get one either , i have a smartphone for everyday use and then my laptop which is 17.6'' for at home or taking away on holidays etc with a internet dongle for on the road use

RBP
03-26-2011, 06:14 PM
i agree i wouldn't get one either , i have a smartphone for everyday use and then my laptop which is 17.6'' for at home or taking away on holidays etc with a internet dongle for on the road use

Just keep your dongle to yourself. :hand:

redred
03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bXz3a.gif

RBP
03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
:lol:

redred
03-26-2011, 07:37 PM
just checking is that super fast for you as well :lol: looks like it could fall off any second

RBP
03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
its a flyin :lol:

Loser
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bXz3a.gif

I'm waiting for the poor lil fella to take flight, with the propeller and the arms flappin in all.

Noilly Pratt
03-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I know a guy, he got the first distributorship for Fax machines. But they were a tough sell...who has them but really big business? (this was 1970) The machines were too expensive. Then in about '78 the Japanese started making them cheaply.

But now we can't picture an office without one now.

I am typing on a netbook right now...love it! So convenient! I can't see myself getting an ipad soon - the combo of that and my Sony MP3 player does all I need for multimedia. I strap down the notebook under the car seat ,with a DC adaptor and I have, if I load it up, about 110GB of MP3 or digital picture space. My main PC has the tunes and I stream 'em across the network.

Deepsepia
04-01-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't agree. Ever since rumors of Apple's first iPad began to look credible back in 2009, I've been watching the tablet space with a mixture of wonder and confusion. After all, the devices really don't offer anything you can't get on a smartphone or a notebook computer, and their form factor is inconvenient, at best.

Depends on what you do. For many people, tablets are ideal. Reading a journal article on a smartphone, or on a notebook is not a particularly pleasant or easy experience. A tablet is a great way to view a maintenance manual, while you're working on something

By and large most folks with tablets still use computers for a lot of things-- but tablets replace much of their reading.

That's how I use them, anyway.

Yt Trash
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I have an Ipad. It was a gift. It's something in our house that gets passed amongst the 4 people who live here all day long, wife uses it to look up quick recipes, my youngest son plays games on it. My older son googles information on it without having to fire up the family PC(In which case has gotten limited use since the Ipad was introduced into the house), and I use for reading. The novelty of it hasn't warn off. It's hard to understand unless you own one. Wife and I have smart phones and it won't replace it nor will it replace my personal PC, but it meets certain "quick electronic" needs of the house. Is my life any easier by owning one? No, but it helps keeping two kids quiet and entertained on those long car rides too!

Arkady Renko
04-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Do I think tablets are overrated, the iPad inparticular? yes, I do. But are they a fad? hell no, as Deeps and YT pointed out, they have a lot of practical uses, not so much replacing desktops or laptops but rather complementing them. In the legal profession, I can see a lot of situations where they're really helpful. e.g. you can store all the laws of germany and the EU on an SD card and still have room for lots of other stuff. They're nice for reading journals on your way to work or between appointments when you travel by train, plane or taxi. Reading in bed is much nicer with a tablet than a netbook etc. etc. Only when you need to write a lot I still find a keyboard to be the best solution. But once there are reliable voice recognition apps for tablets and all you need to do manually is fix typoes, then I imagine it'd be a good enough solution as well.

redred
04-01-2011, 01:19 PM
MPs allowed to use iPad in Commons
(UKPA) – 1 day ago
Commons Speaker John Bercow has ruled that iPads can be used by MPs following the first use of the gadget in the chamber earlier this week.
Mr Bercow said he could not "reasonably prevent" the use of the gadgets on an interim basis until MPs had a chance to decide on recommendations permitting their permanent use.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iZzmKlp2ePIZyqxvQbB5NRpwa-sw?docId=N0311511301497036218A

Godfather
04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
No security threat there? :-k

I guess MP's don't really have all that much sensitive information though...

If I was going to get a tablet for business use it'd be the RIM Playbook hands down... Blackberry's security is unparalleled I think.

fricnjay
04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
My wife is the Lead Councilor at a High School and the school has bought some of the iPads for some of the administrators to see if there was a use for them. Next year they will probably do away with them. We have used it around the house but in all practicality they are more than useless. All we seem to use it for is when we are to lazy to get the laptop to look up who that guy is in that one movie type stuff. Its too big to really take around and its too limited to actually get work done. In some applications it may be useful, like a doctor for instance. He could carry that instead of a clip board, that makes a bit of since but other wise its a novelty at best. I have a HTC World Smart Phone and my phone does more than the iPad will and it was half the price just has a smaller screen.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
My wife is the Lead Councilor at a High School and the school has bought some of the iPads for some of the administrators to see if there was a use for them. Next year they will probably do away with them. We have used it around the house but in all practicality they are more than useless. All we seem to use it for is when we are to lazy to get the laptop to look up who that guy is in that one movie type stuff. Its too big to really take around and its too limited to actually get work done. In some applications it may be useful, like a doctor for instance. He could carry that instead of a clip board, that makes a bit of since but other wise its a novelty at best. I have a HTC World Smart Phone and my phone does more than the iPad will and it was half the price just has a smaller screen.

This ^^

I have an HTC smartphone and like FJ said, it will do everything an iPad will do and more (hello Apple, ever heard of Flash?). If you need something bigger and more powerful, then just get a small laptop FFS and then you will have something that isn't much bigger than an iPad and it will be waaaaaaaaaay more powerful than your new status symbol, I mean iPad. Plus, there are many decent laptops that will out perform the iPad for a lot less price.

fricnjay
04-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Lance my phone will run a complete office suite including outlook, open and make pdfs it even has remote desktop so I can access my work computer and use it like I was sitting in front of it from my phone. Lets see a iPad do any of that.

Noilly Pratt
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Lance my phone will run a complete office suite including outlook, open and make pdfs it even has remote desktop so I can access my work computer and use it like I was sitting in front of it from my phone. Lets see a iPad do any of that.

True...my nephew's just set up a business and they delayed and delayed in getting his data drop in. He used his Android phone for all that FJ said and more. Racked up a healthy bill, but the business didn't have any downtime.

Midnight_Beacon
04-02-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't have one, but the geek in me can't help but notice.... they had them in Star Trek Enterprise! (I don't like the fact I can't dock the iPad with my pc or any other device so that's a no for me)

Arkady Renko
04-04-2011, 11:34 AM
This ^^

I have an HTC smartphone and like FJ said, it will do everything an iPad will do and more (hello Apple, ever heard of Flash?). If you need something bigger and more powerful, then just get a small laptop FFS and then you will have something that isn't much bigger than an iPad and it will be waaaaaaaaaay more powerful than your new status symbol, I mean iPad. Plus, there are many decent laptops that will out perform the iPad for a lot less price.

I dunno if you noticed, but you don't have to buy an iPad if you want a tablet. Some of the Android based jobs from samsung look fairly awesome and they also come in different sizes from 7 to 12 inch screens

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I dunno if you noticed, but you don't have to buy an iPad if you want a tablet. Some of the Android based jobs from samsung look fairly awesome and they also come in different sizes from 7 to 12 inch screens

I wouldn't buy one of those either ;)

Arkady Renko
04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
they can play flash tho :nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
So does my smart phone :P

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
You know what doesn't play Flash though and it makes no sense? FF mobile for Android :huh:

Noilly Pratt
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM
My wife's starting a piano teaching business...wondering if an IPad would have the necessary organization software available. She's sold on MS Outlook right now.

Arkady Renko
04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
You know what doesn't play Flash though and it makes no sense? FF mobile for Android :huh:

try opera instead [-(