PDA

View Full Version : Metro State student claims discrimination for being straight

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Written by Nelson Garcia - 9News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/htxpW.jpg

DENVER - Rick Foo never wanted to be in this situation. When he signed up for a political science course this spring, he expected a thought-provoking class. Instead, he finds himself filing an official grievance against his professor.

"I felt discriminated, harassed sexually for expressing my sexual orientation," Foo, a student at the Metropolitan State College of Denver said.

Wednesday, Metro State officials received Foo's grievance. 9NEWS is choosing not to disclose the professor's name because an investigation is now ongoing.

Foo claims that the male adjunct political science professor made sexual advances towards him.

"In the way that he was engaging conversation with me, the way he was looking at me," Foo said.

Foo says he then wrote an essay in which he thought would clear any confusion.

"I was describing my own sexual orientation, which I said I was straight, and after I handed that paper in and whatnot, I started to get treated differently," Foo said.

He says the professor would insult him in class and not let him participate in discussions.

"It became a straight-bashing fest," Foo said.

He also filed in the complaint that the professor also discriminated against him for his disability. Foo says he suffered nerve damage in his arm during his service in the Army. Foo says it makes it difficult for him to write. He says he asked for extensions on his assignments based on his disability and was denied.

"I felt as though I got retaliated against," Foo said.

Metro State officials are investigating the complaint, so they cannot comment.

But, Dr. Robert Hazan, chairman of the political science department issued a statement.

"[He] is an excellent instructor. This impression has been corroborated by many students positively affected by his pedagogy," said Hazan.

On the web site "Rate My Professors", the professor has received almost all high ratings with comments such as, "He is a great teacher with a great sense of humor."

Another student comment stated, "Hard teacher, but so worth it. You will leave this class feeling empowered and impressed by yourself."

Foo obviously has a different take.

"I am not going to stop until this professor is terminated," Foo said.

Hazan talked with the professor and says the professor's only comments about the allegations are that he is "devastated and outraged."

Foo did receive an "F" in the class. He claims out of the 15 people who initially enrolled in the course, only three finished the semester. He says everyone dropped out based on the professor's behavior.

Metro State would not confirm how many people were enrolled in the class in the end.

Hal-9000
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Foo Fighter :thumbsup: