PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Thread

Teh One Who Knocks
06-05-2012, 11:22 AM
This happened over the weekend at the French Open :lol:

Caroline Wozniacki to chair umpire: ‘Have you been to school?’

The whole clip is embedded, but the fireworks begin at 1:49.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxe_7tv3jM

A transcript of the exchange that was clear on audio:

"You can not just sit there and be so arrogant. How can you see those balls there when the ball is like this out? It's not touching the line. If we had Hawk-Eye you would be so freaking embarrassed right now. So embarrassed, especially when you can see the mark. Have you been to school? Can I ask you, have you gone to school? You have gone to school, so you know that this [holds up fingers closely together] is out. It's not so difficult."

Wozniacki, who has dropped to No. 9 in the world and hasn't won a tournament since last August in New Haven, continued her outrage in the post-match press conference:

"When the ball is clearly out, I don't think there should be anything to argue about. If they cannot see, they should have other umpires on the lines or invent Hawk‑Eye on these courts. It's a disgrace that mistakes like this are made. It wasn't even like, you know, could have been in, could have been out. It was clearly out. Also, when a ball travels 5 miles an hour in the I think either the linesman or the main umpire should be able to see the ball, as well."

Arkady Renko
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
one of the weakest players ever to make it to the top of the world ranking.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I like her a lot, she's funny, has a great personality and all, but how she made it to #1 is beyond me. She's an above average player, but not a great player.

Arkady Renko
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
it's a fluke of the current ranking system. the Grand Slam tournaments aren't weighted as heavily as they used to be, presumably so as to encourage players to appear in all of the WTA events. So since Wozniacki had a run of tournaments where she went to the quarters, semis or finals and even won a few, she harvested many more points than some of the players who won the big tournaments while skipping some of the minor ones. And let's not forget that there are hardly any dominant players in the women's circus these days. can you think of anyonewho'd have been playing at top level for more than a few montsh at a time since Justine Henin and the Williams sisters ran into injury trouble and Kim Clijsters turned into a part timer?

Goofy
06-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Sore loser springs to mind! Bet she wouldn't have been so bothered if she'd WON the first set 6-1 ;) And yeah, i agree with both of you, she really isn't that good.......... but she is pretty cute, and funny :)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Damn, after yesterday's match, Nadal is now 50-1 at the French Open :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Sharapova just punched her ticket to her first ever French Open final and she will now be the #1 ranked player in the world, win or lose on Saturday.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Bwahahahahahahaha....Venus Williams lost in the 1st round at Wimbledon today :cheers:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-30-2019, 11:09 AM

Crushed like a bug :rofl:

Goofy
01-30-2019, 01:31 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 05:55 PM
a seven year necro on a tennis thread? :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Dave James - Agence France Presse

https://i.imgur.com/At6YJCil.jpg

Paris (AFP) - Dominic Thiem has accused Serena Williams of having a "bad personality" as the bizarre row over him being booted out of his own press conference so that Roland Garros organisers could accommodate the American superstar instead took another twist.

Austria's Thiem, the fourth seed in the men's event and the 2018 runner-up, was conducting his post-match press obligations after reaching the last 16 late on Saturday.

However, he was then informed that the main interview room was needed by Williams who had just suffered a third round loss to Sofia Kenin.

It was the 23-time Grand Slam title winner's earliest exit at a Slam in almost five years and she was eager to be away from the tournament site as quickly as possible.

"It is just the principle," Thiem told Eurosport German.

"Even if a junior is in there, every player has to wait."

He added: "It also shows a bad personality in my opinion. I am 100 percent sure (Roger) Federer or (Rafael) Nadal would never do something like that."

There was no indication as to who had decided to shift Thiem mid-flow on Saturday night.

"It's a joke," fumed the 25-year-old Thiem to media officers after being told he should finish his interviews in a smaller room.

"I have to leave the room because she's coming. What the hell, I don't care. I can also do whatever I want."

Roger Federer, meanwhile, leapt to the defence of Thiem, describing him as "a superstar, a male superstar".

"I think the one who is still in the tournament gets priority, that's how I see it," said Federer after easing past Leonardo Mayer on Sunday to reach his 54th quarter-final at the majors.

"There must have been a misunderstanding or maybe they should have kept Serena still in the locker room, not waiting here in the press centre.

"I don't know exactly what happened. I understand Dominic's frustration. I don't think he's mad at Serena or anybody. I just think it was an unfortunate situation."

Former German great Boris Becker also said Thiem was in the right to object to his eviction.

"If he is giving an interview, and his press conference isn't finished, then everybody else has to wait, including Serena Williams," Becker told Eurosport on Monday.

"It was unfortunate for the organisers to put both players in that situation and they should know that if Dominic is doing his press conference then when he's finished it's Serena's turn.

"It was an awkward situation."

French sports daily L'Equipe claimed that Williams had shown no preference over where she carried out her press conference.

"Put me in another room, a smaller one, but now," she was reported to have said.

With Williams reportedly becoming increasingly impatient, officials looked to rescue the situation by moving Thiem to another room.

"That's really impolite," she was heard to say.

Thiem will be back on press conference duty on Monday as he is scheduled to face home hope Gael Monfils for a place in the quarter-finals.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-06-2022, 11:55 AM
By Paulina Dedaj | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/MIyH4qGh.jpg

Novak Djokovic will not defend his title at the Australian Open this month after he was denied entry into the country on Thursday over an issue with his visa, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison released a statement on Twitter announcing that top-ranked tennis pro will no longer be granted entry into the country just days after receiving a medical exemption that would have allowed him to participate in the Grand Slam tournament.

"Mr Djokovic’s visa has been canceled," the statement read. "Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders. No one is above these rules. Our strong border policies have been critical to Australia having one of the lowest death rates in the world from COVID, we are continuing to be vigilant."
The Australian Border Forces also released a statement stating that Djokovic did not provide the "appropriate evidence" to meet the government’s entry requirements, resulting in his visa being canceled.

"Non-citizens who do not hold a valid visa on entry or who have had their visa canceled will be detained and removed from Australia," the statement read, via The Age.

According to the New York Times, Djokovic was held for 12-hours and fielded questions from government officials about the evidence supporting his medical exemption and the "validity" of his visa. Australian media reported earlier that Djokovic’s team had applied for the wrong type of visa for a person with a medical exemption.

Sources close to the tournament told Reuters that Djokovic would be deported but that he was filing an injunction to prevent it. A source also told the outlet that three other players that already arrived used the same type of visa.

Djokovic arrived at Melbourne's Tullamarine airport just before midnight local time on Wednesday. His father, Srdjan Djokovic, told a local Serbian outlet that the tennis pro was being held in a guarded room.

"Novak is currently in a room which no one can enter," he said, via The Associated Press. "In front of the room are two policemen."

Victoria state’s acting minister for sports said on Twitter Wednesday that they would not "support" Djokovic’s visa after being asked by the federal government.

https://i.imgur.com/rpOIfnM.png

"We will not be providing Novak Djokovic with individual visa application support to participate in the 2022 Australian Open Grand Slam," she wrote. "We’ve always been clear on two points: visa approvals are a matter for the Federal Government, and medical exemptions are a matter for doctors."

Tournament officials have defended the process, saying Djokovic received no special treatment in being granted the exemption.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Fodster
01-07-2022, 12:47 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Ctf5vMx/271026264-10160205476972018-2981635715367729425-n.jpg (https://ibb.co/hMSRHZp)

lost in melb.
01-07-2022, 02:40 AM
Oops!

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2022, 10:36 AM
By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/JZsQA8el.jpg

Novak Djokovic won his visa appeal against the Australian government on Monday.

Australian Federal Court quashed the government’s decision to cancel the Serbian tennis star’s visa on Monday, ending his detention and appearing to clear the path for him to play in the Australian Open.

The 34-year-old was fighting deportation and the cancelation of his visa over the country’s strict COVID-19 vaccination rules. The government canceled his visa shortly after he arrived in Melbourne on Wednesday because officials determined he didn’t meet the criteria for an exemption to an entry requirement that all non-citizens be fully vaccinated against coronavirus.

Djokovic argued he didn’t need proof of vaccination because he had contracted the illness last month. Australian medical authorities ruled that a temporary exemption for the vaccine rule can be provided to people who had been infected with COVID-19 within six months.

Circuit Court Judge Anthony Kelly noted that Djokovic had provided officials at the airport with a medical exemption given to him by Tennis Australia, which organizes the Australian Open, and two medical panels.

"The point I’m somewhat agitated about is what more could this man have done?" Kelly asked Djokovic’s lawyer Nick Wood.

Wood agreed that there was nothing more Djokovic could’ve done.

Djokovic had been placed in an immigration detention hotel used to house refugees and asylum seekers.

Lawyers for Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews said in their submission that if the judge ruled in favor of the tennis star, immigration officials might cancel his visa a second time. They said the vaccination requirement could only be deferred for arriving travelers who have had a COVID-19 infection if their illness was acute.

"There is no suggestion that the applicant (Djokovic) had ‘acute major medical illness’ in December" when he tested positive, the submission said.

Djokovic could face a three-year ban from the country if his visa is canceled and is deported.

The world’s No. 1 tennis player has 20 major titles. The 2022 Australian Open begins next week. Djokovic is the defending champion.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

lost in melb.
01-10-2022, 10:41 AM
Good call. Dumb Feds.

Poor timing to stand on principle...use some common sense.

lost in melb.
01-12-2022, 03:20 AM
Novak Djokovic says mistake on Australian immigration form 'human error'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/novak-djokovic-statement-instagram-immigration-australian-open/100752134

More like human 'errors'. I'm glad we accepted him, but this cowboy needs to get his head in.

deebakes
01-12-2022, 03:25 AM
i think the guy is a douche before this covid stuff, it sucks he'll be one of the all time winningest players

lost in melb.
01-14-2022, 07:43 AM
Live: Immigration Minister cancels Novak Djokovic’s visa

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/live-updates-on-novak-djokovics-visa-cancellation-deportation-news/news-story/5cbaa65990a2bd6984072760bf2b9014?amp

Behaviour has consequences. On top of everything else he took part in a press interview knowing that he had Covid. We don't want that s*** here.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2022, 01:34 PM
By Joe Morgan - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/TRoqflLl.jpg

Fans wearing “Where is Peng Shuai?” t-shirts while attending the 2022 Australian Open in Melbourne were asked by security to remove the shirts due to rules set by Tennis Australia.

According to ESPN, video of security asking the fans to remove the t-shirts was uploaded to TikTok, where officials can be heard saying that “political slogans” are not allowed at the Australian Open.

“Under our ticket conditions of entry we don’t allow clothing, banners or signs that are commercial or political,” a Tennis Australia spokesperson told Guardian Australia. “Peng Shuai’s safety is our primary concern. We continue to work with the WTA and global tennis community to seek more clarity on her situation and will do everything we can to ensure her wellbeing.”

Peng’s safety has been a concern since her November 2nd social media post in which she accused former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexually assaulting her three years ago following a round of tennis. She also said Zhang’s wife guarded the door. Her post was deleted nearly 30 minutes after publication and Peng’s account on Weibo — a Chinese social media platform — was blocked from searchers on the platform.

Peng was not seen or heard from publicly until a November 17 statement attributed to Peng was shared on Twitter by CGTN — a Chinese state-affiliated media company — where Peng denied her claim that Zhang sexually assaulted her.

The IOC has held two calls with Peng, including a December 2nd call that “reconfirmed” that Peng appeared to be “appeared to be safe and well.”

Shortly after the second call with the IOC, the Women’s Tennis Association announced a suspension of all WTA tournaments in China, including in Hong Kong.

“Unfortunately, the leadership in China has not addressed this very serious issue in any credible way,” WTA CEO Steve Simon wrote in a statement to the WTA website. “While we now know where Peng is, I have serious doubts that she is free, safe and not subject to censorship, coercion and intimidation. The WTA has been clear on what is needed here, and we repeat our call for a full and transparent investigation – without censorship – into Peng Shuai’s sexual assault accusation.”

In December, Peng told Lianhe Zaobao — a Singapore-based Chinese-language newspaper — that she never made the accusations, saying there “has been a lot of misunderstanding.”

“I want to emphasize one thing that is very important,” Peng said. “That I have never spoken or written about anyone sexually assaulted me. This point is very important to be emphasized clearly.”

“First of all, it’s my personal privacy,” she continued. “There possibly has been a lot of misunderstanding. Therefore, there should not be such distorted interpretation here.”

Following Peng’s statements, the WTA continued their call for a “full, fair and transparent investigation” into Peng’s sexual assault claims.

“We remain steadfast in our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern,” the WTA said in a statement.

“It was again good to see Peng Shuai in a public setting and we certainly hope she is doing well,” the WTA continued. “As we have consistently stated, these appearances do not alleviate or address the WTA’s significant concerns about her wellbeing and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion.”

Victoria Azarenka, a WTA Player Council member, said that attempts to get in contact with Peng haven’t been successful.

“There hasn’t been that much development in terms of contact with Peng Shuai even though from our side we will continue to make any and all efforts to make sure that she is safe, she feels comfortable,” Azarenka said.

lost in melb.
01-26-2022, 09:58 AM
she accused former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexually assaulting her three years ago following a round of tennis. She also said Zhang’s wife guarded the door.

Now that's a dedicated wife :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2022, 10:17 AM
By Andrea Vacchiano | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/7eFhtKc.png

Controversial Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios was filmed wrecking two tennis rackets after losing a match with Russia's Karen Khachanov at the U.S. Open on Wednesday.

Kyrgios lost 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3), and 4-6 in the match against Khachanov, which lasted nearly four hours.

Video shows the 27-year-old Australian walking calmly towards his bags after his Grand Slam hopes were dashed.

Kyrgios then suddenly proceeds to throw a major fit – smashing his tennis racket against the ground three times before throwing it.

Kyrgios is then seen grabbing a second racket and throwing it to the ground with such force that it nearly bounced over the net.

This follows another outburst from Kyrgios this week, where he was seen spitting and swearing at his own team box.

""Go home if you’re not going to f---ing support me, bro," Kyrgios shouted at his group of fans, including his girlfriend Costeen Hatzi. For his behavior, Krygios was fined $7,500.
"I honestly feel like s--t. I feel like I’ve let so many people down," Kyrgios said bluntly at the press conference following the contentious match with Khachanov.

"I’m obviously devastated," the despondent tennis player added. "But all credit to Karen. He’s a fighter. He’s a warrior. I thought he served really good today."

https://i.imgur.com/gEjRNyK.png

"Honestly probably the best server I played this tournament, to be honest, the way he was hitting his spots under pressure," Kyrgios added.

deebakes
09-08-2022, 02:24 AM
what a pos

lost in melb.
09-12-2022, 03:07 AM
:lol: