PDA

View Full Version : Mother of the Year Candidate: Toddler removed from baby seat to make room for gas can

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2012, 11:06 AM
By Monte Whaley - The Denver Post

http://i.imgur.com/gHtm5.jpg

AURORA — Veteran Aurora police and highway officials were stunned by a photo taken during a recent traffic stop, which shows a diapered toddler who is not properly restrained, sitting next to a gas can belted into a baby seat.

"This could be one of the extreme incidents we've ever seen," said Aurora Police spokesman Frank Fania.

The photo was taken during a recent "Click It or Ticket" campaign conducted by the Colorado State Patrol and local law enforcement.

The car was stopped May 30 by an officer doing improper turn enforcement near East Iliff Avenue and Tower Road. He found that none of the occupants were using seat belts.

A 14-year-old was also a passenger in the car. The female driver, the mother of children, was cited for no proof of insurance and three counts of seat belt violations, Fania said.

The driver's name was not released.

Under Colorado law, the boy should have been placed in a rear-or-forward facing car seat, said Colorado Department of Transportation spokesman Stacey Stegman.

The photo drew wide attention when it was posted on CDOT's Facebook page. "People were pretty outraged," Stegman said. "Besides not wearing seat belts, people were also angry about the gas can. Even if it was empty, people worried the boy was being exposed to toxic fumes."

redred
06-06-2012, 01:29 PM
and i bet people would have moaned if the gas can fell on the floor rolled near her cig lighter and set the whole car alight :roll: give her a break she was trying to stop the car going up in a fireball

Acid Trip
06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
and i bet people would have moaned if the gas can fell on the floor rolled near her cig lighter and set the whole car alight :roll: give her a break she was trying to stop the car going up in a fireball

Then put it in the trunk...

redred
06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
but the baby could get hurt in the trunk ,no seatbelts back there

Richard Cranium
06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Have the kid hold the gas can in the trunk so it doesn't tip over..

dumb ass,:wave:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-06-2012, 03:32 PM

:lol:

Acid Trip
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM

:facepalm:

:vuvu:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Written by Blair Shiff - 9News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/xbQ1Y.jpg

AURORA - The mom involved in the photo that created quite a social conversation on Facebook and Twitter over this past week spoke to 9NEWS regarding the gas can in the car seat instead of her son.

Sandra Ramirez spoke to 9NEWS Wednesday morning about this photo. The Colorado Department of Transportation posted the photo on its Facebook page on Tuesday.

Stacey Stegman, CDOT spokesperson, says the photo was taken by an Aurora traffic officer during a traffic stop as part of the Click It or Ticket enforcement.

Ramirez says the photo is one big misunderstanding.

"It is just a big misunderstanding, and I'm sorry if I offended anybody, but I'm not a bad mom," Ramirez told 9NEWS.

Lieutenant Chuck DeShazer, Commanding Officer of the Aurora Police Department Traffic Sections, told 9NEWS Ramirez was pulled over for conducting an illegal left turn.

"She was not wearing her seat belt, and her approximately 14-year-old passenger in the front seat also wasn't wearing a seat belt," DeShazer said. "The woman told him [the officer,] 'Sorry - we just forgot.'"

Ramirez says while she was pulled over, her son was in the car seat in the back seat. However, while she was speaking to the officer, Ramirez claims her 3-year-old son wiggled out of the car seat and sat in the passenger-side back seat.

DeShazer says the officer continued to question Ramirez about the child in the back seat. He says Ramirez's response to the officer was, "Oh, he unbuckles and buckles his seat belt by himself all the time."

"He unbuckled it," Ramirez told 9NEWS. "He knows how to unbuckle it. I did not notice him until [out of] the corner of my eye as I'm turning. The lights are flashing behind me [and] he jumped over and put on his big-boy belt."

At that point, the teenage family friend in the front seat put the gas can in the car seat. Since the car seat was still buckled in, the gas can appeared to be "buckled" in.

Ramirez admits neither she nor the front-seat passenger were wearing seat belts when the officer pulled her over, but she insists her 3-year-old son was wearing one.

Ramirez is extremely upset by the controversial photo and apologized for the misunderstanding. She told 9NEWS she plans to sell her car and not drive again.

Ramirez was ticketed for the illegal turn, two seat belt violations, and the car seat violation, says DeShazer.

The law in Colorado requires all children eight years of age and younger to be in a child safety seat while traveling in a motor vehicle. The minimum stipulated fine is $82 per violation.

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
:lol:

Yeah, ok... blame the kid.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Solid

Godfather
06-07-2012, 01:37 AM
:rofl: Brilliant really...

deebakes
06-07-2012, 01:39 AM