PDA

View Full Version : 'You're NOT special': Teacher rants at 'pampered, cosseted and doted upon' students in bizarre graduation speech

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
By Daily Mail Reporter

http://i.imgur.com/UCEWQ.jpg

A straight-talking Boston teacher gave his students a reality check during their graduation, using his address to tell them they were 'not special'.

In a rant targeting modern American parenting, Wellesley High teacher David McCullough Jr reminded the 'pampered, cosseted and doted upon' seniors that they are just another person on a planet with a population of 6.8billion - and therefore utterly insignificant.

'Yes, you’ve been pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble wrapped... nudged, cajoled, wheedled .. feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie,' he told the teenagers in the speech, published on BostonHerald.com.

'But do not get the idea you’re anything special. Because you’re not.

'Contrary to what your under-nine soccer trophy suggests, your glowing seventh-grade report card, despite every assurance of a certain corpulent purple dinosaur, that nice Mister Rogers and your batty Aunt Sylvia... you’re nothing special.'

Mr McCullough told the graduates that a whopping 3.2million seniors were in the process of graduating from more than 37,000 high schools across the United States.

'That’s 37,000 valedictorians, 37,000 class presidents, 92,000 harmonizing altos, 340,000 swaggering jocks, 2,185,967 pairs of Uggs,' he said.

'But why limit ourselves to high school? After all, you’re leaving it. So think about this: even if you’re one in a million, on a planet of 6.8billion that means there are nearly 7,000 people just like you.'

The experienced English teacher attacked what he says is an 'epidemic' in America of loving rewards more than genuine achievements.

'You see, if everyone is special, then no one is,' he said. 'If everyone gets a trophy, trophies become meaningless. We have of late, we Americans, to our detriment, come to love accolades more than genuine achievement.

'We have come to see them as the point - and we’re happy to compromise standards, or ignore reality, if we suspect that’s the quickest way, or only way, to have something to put on the mantelpiece.'

Mr McCullough concluded the graduation tirade with typical, upbeat advice that urged students to work hard and do what they love.

'Before you scatter to the winds, I urge you to do whatever you do for no reason other than you love it and believe in its importance,' he said.

But he added that a 'fulfilling' and 'relevant' life is an achievement, 'not something that will fall into your lap because you're a nice person or mommy ordered it.'

The teacher concluded: 'The sweetest joys of life, then, come only with the recognition that you’re not special.'

Pony
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
:clap:

Muddy
06-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Bravo, Sir.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2012, 10:53 AM
This country needs more teachers like this guy :thumbsup:

Pony
06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
No kidding. Unfortunately the parents are probably in an uproar demanding his termination.

RBP
06-08-2012, 11:24 AM
He may be right, but idk that a graduation ceremony is the right venue for that speech.

perrhaps
06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
He may be right, but idk that a graduation ceremony is the right venue for that speech.

I think it was the perfect time.

DemonGeminiX
06-08-2012, 11:29 AM
It's too bad parents these days aren't saying junk like this. It would probably go much farther if they started saying it earlier in these kids' lives.

Acid Trip
06-08-2012, 01:35 PM

:agreed:

Muddy
06-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Welcome to the real world.

Hal-9000
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
what duz cosseted mean? :-s

RBP
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
what duz cosseted mean? :-s

http://bit.ly/KTswNi

Hal-9000
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
http://bit.ly/KTswNi

[-( well? you didn't google that for me..

FBD
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I think the boston herald has the whole thing. There's just tiny bits here. It was good.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-11-2012, 04:02 PM
:tup:

Southern Belle
06-11-2012, 05:26 PM
At least there's someone in the school system who has some common sense.

Shady
06-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Props to that guy for actually being a teacher trying to prepare people for the real world.

You're right, that's the wrong place to do it. I graduated 8 years ago and I barely remember a thing about the speeches given at my graduation.

deebakes
06-12-2012, 01:48 AM
you would probably remember this if this happened at your graduation :lol: