PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons Episodes Featuring Nuclear Disaster Jokes Pulled

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
by Peter Gicas - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/BQois.jpg

Understandably, some of the humor on The Simpsons is being viewed as a little too radioactive right now.

Sensitive to the nuclear power plant problems that Japan is currently facing, television stations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland are in the process of reviewing episodes of the long-running animated series—seeing how Homer Simpson works at a power plant in Springfield and all—to weed out any that feature references to nuclear disaster.

In Austria, for instance, a network has already reportedly pulled two episodes so far—one titled "Marge Gets a Job," that features scientists Marie and Pierre Curie dying of radiation poisoning, and another titled "On a Clear Day I Can't See My Sister," which jokes about a nuclear meltdown. However, in Germany and Switzerland, the series has only been screened for "unsuitable" references, but nothing has actually been pulled yet.

And it's a move that Simpsons executive producer Al Jean totally supports.

"We have 480 episodes, and if there are a few that they don't want to air for awhile in light of the terrible things going on, I completely understand that," Jean told EW, which also reports that U.S. stations that air the show in syndication have also received a list of episodes that might be deemed slightly inappropriate to broadcast given the crisis in Japan.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
This seems a bit overboard to me...it's a cartoon FFS :|

Hal-9000
03-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I think it's a thoughtful and good move.Even if the gist is meant in fun, when a country is going through a disaster it may offend...