PDA

View Full Version : KKK group seeks to adopt Georgia highway for litter control

Teh One Who Knocks
06-11-2012, 04:38 PM
By Joshua Rhett Miller - FOX News

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3315/klanhighway.jpg

The Ku Klux Klan wants to adopt a stretch of highway in northern Georgia to clean up litter, which could force a legal showdown with state officials who may not want the white supremacy group's help — not to mention a roadside sign announcing it.

Harley Hanson, the "exalted cyclops" of the Klan's "Realm of Georgia," filed the application to adopt a one-mile stretch of Route 515 in the Appalachian Mountains, near the North Carolina border, on behalf of the International Keystone Knights of the KKK in Union County. Under the Adopt-A-Highway program, private individuals or organizations pledge to help keep a stretch of road clean, and their participation is heralded by a sign. In this case, the sign would read: “IKK Realm of GA, Ku Klux Klan.”

“All we want to do is adopt this piece of road and clean it,” Hanson told FoxNews.com by phone. “We’re not doing this for a membership drive; we’ve got all the members we want. And we’ve got intentions to do it more than four times per year.”

The May 21 request is now being considered by the state’s Department of Transportation. If approved, the group would remove debris at least four times a year for a two-year period along the highway in Blairsville, Ga.

David Spear, press secretary for the Georgia Department of Transportation, confirmed the application but declined additional comment until a resolution is determined. DOT officials are scheduled to meet with attorneys from the state attorney general’s office on Monday to decide how to proceed, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

At least one elected official has called on the state to reject the application from a “domestic terrorist group” despite the potential for a costly legal fight.

"It should be denied just as we would deny the request from any other hate group," state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, head of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials, told FoxNews.com. "The fact that they would consider an application from the Ku Klux Klan is offensive. You may have to let Al Qaeda or some other group do it, and I would hope our lawyers and the attorney general's office say, 'You know what, we’ll fight this out.'"

The case is similar to one in Missouri. A lengthy legal battle took place in that state when it sought ban an effort by the KKK to adopt a road there. Missouri eventually lost, with the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2005 that maintaining membership in the program cannot be denied because of a group's political beliefs, The Associated Press reports.

Hanson, who is aware of the legal precedent in the matter, said he expects the request to be approved.

“We don’t want to do any kind of litigation or make it into some big legal battle,” he said. “The state is strapped for cash now anyway, so to drag both parties into litigation over a program about a highway in the mountains of north Georgia is absolutely frivolous. It’s pointless.”

The application — which was first reported by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and obtained by FoxNews.com — lists Hanson and his wife as the primary contacts and indicates the group plans to average at least six workers per cleanup if approved. Hanson declined to discuss how many members his group represents.

“We’ll have at least six at every cleanup, no more than 10,” the 34-year-old electrician said. “It’s a very secluded type of road and it gives our members something to do; [it’s] just another activity that we can do.”

Georgia officials could be forced to choose between approving the application, denying it and facing a likely legal fight or ending the state’s 23-year-old Adopt-A-Highway program, according to the newspaper.

Blairsville Mayor Jim Conley declined to comment early Monday when reached by FoxNews.com.

Hanson said the effort is just another way for the group to assist the community.

“There’s a misconception of what the Klan does,” Hanson said. “We’re not out here putting crosses in people’s front yards. We simply promote our race. I love the white race, I love my race.”

redred
06-11-2012, 04:43 PM
will they keep the tarmac black ?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-11-2012, 04:52 PM
the KKK is a joke, its all about the Aryan Nation now.

Hal-9000
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
the KKK is a joke, its all about the Aryan Nation now.

half of those guys don't even have colored TV yet....

color TV is what I meant to say :oops:

Muddy
06-11-2012, 05:57 PM
"The exalted Cyclops" :lol:

Hal-9000
06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
is that what they call their leaders? ...really? :lol:

one eye, narrow vision etc etc

Muddy
06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Someone in their group should adopt a dictionary..

Southern Belle
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
They're about as intelligent as the Hell's Angels.

Hal-9000
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
are they going to clean up everyone's litter? :rolleyes:

Muddy
06-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Only the white peoples trash..

Acid Trip
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
are they going to clean up everyone's litter? :rolleyes:

They won't be picking up any grape soda cans or watermelon rinds.

Hal-9000
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
racisssssssst!!!!!!!!

http://i47.tinypic.com/i555af.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
From Nick Valencia, CNN

Atlanta (CNN) -- The Georgia Department of Transportation will not approve the application of a local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan to "adopt" a one-mile stretch of highway in North Georgia, a state official said Tuesday.

The state official did not want to be named because the official was not authorized to speak on the record.

The Klan chapter wanted to clean a stretch of highway in Union County, Georgia, according to paperwork obtained by CNN on Monday.

The application, which sought state approval for cleaning up a one-mile portion of Georgia State Route 515 in the Appalachian Mountains, was filed by the International Keystone Knights of the KKK on May 21.

The chapter did not immediately respond to messages left Tuesday by CNN. Previously it said it would approach the American Civil Liberties Union if its application were denied.

"All we want to do is adopt a highway," April Chambers, the chapter's secretary, said Monday. "We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

"We're not racists," Chambers said. "We just want to be with white people. If that's a crime, then I don't know. It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it."

A similar request in Missouri set off a legal battle that stretched for years and went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. A Ku Klux Klan chapter there sought to adopt a portion of Interstate 55. A federal appeals court ruled the state could not bar the KKK from participating in the program, and the high court declined to review the case, letting that ruling stand.

However, the Missouri Department of Transportation eventually kicked the KKK, a white supremacy group, out of the program because members were not picking up trash as agreed, spokesman Bob Brendel said Monday. The state also named the stretch of I-55 after civil rights activist Rosa Parks, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Georgia has been participating in the Adopt-A-Highway program for more than 20 years. The program provides advertising for sponsors who agree to clean a stretch of road on a sign posted along the stretch.

"Any civic-minded organization, business, individual, family, city, county, state, or federal agency is welcome to volunteer in the Georgia Adopt-A-Highway program," the DOT website says.

Chambers said the group is more than 100 strong. "We have a lot of support," she said.

"I don't see why we can't (adopt the stretch of highway)," she said. "Would it be any different if it was the Black Panthers or something? Someone always has some kind of race card."

On its website, the International Keystone Knights of the KKK says it is "fed up with the Federal tyranny and oppression of Reconstruction, and the time was ripe for Clandestine Armed Resistance."

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups, lists the KKK as "the most infamous -- and oldest -- of American hate groups."

"Over the years since it was formed in December 1865, the Klan has typically seen itself as a Christian organization, although in modern times Klan groups are motivated by a variety of theological and political ideologies," the law center's website says.

Muddy
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
:(

KevinD
06-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Okay, gonna take the "bad " view here. Some of the points brought up are absolutely correct. If the New Black Panthers did this, it would be no big deal. Now, I'm not a fan of the KKK (though I probably have had family members who were/are in it) and I most assuredly DON'T agree with burning crosses, hanging blacks, etc, etc..Things the Klan is associated with, If they want to do this, the way I read the Georgia statutes on it, there's no legitimate reason they can't.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a publicity stunt.

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Okay, gonna take the "bad " view here. Some of the points brought up are absolutely correct. If the New Black Panthers did this, it would be no big deal. Now, I'm not a fan of the KKK (though I probably have had family members who were/are in it) and I most assuredly DON'T agree with burning crosses, hanging blacks, etc, etc..Things the Klan is associated with, If they want to do this, the way I read the Georgia statutes on it, there's no legitimate reason they can't.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a publicity stunt.

:-k

You mean them coming back and saying something like, "This is discrimination. They would probably let any black group do this, but we, as a white group, cannot"?

KevinD
06-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Umm, yeah, pretty much...Do you not agree?

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I agree with the sentiment. I am, like many other people, tired of being declared the bad guy and being left out in the cold. But what can you do?

KevinD
06-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Good question. My typical (serious) response to a person asking my my opinions, then saying that my opinions are racist, is along the lines of "So What?"

KevinD
06-13-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm gonna start a W.E.T. (White Entertainment Television) channel. There will be beer drinking, horse shoes, shooting of firearms, mud racing and wrestling, and lots of Yeeeeeee-haaaawwsss!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and wet tee-shit contests, of course!

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Freedom of speech.

http://www.totalmortgage.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/loan-officer-compensation2.png

Hal-9000
06-13-2012, 04:42 PM
my boss just sent me a Youtube vid....funny Chinese rap

So I said to him - You're a black dude, sending a white Irish dude a rap song by an Asian guy...

that's like dividing by zero and I'm not opening it :lol: