PDA

View Full Version : Man Spends Decade Playing Epic PC Game

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Sky News

http://i.imgur.com/FAwgd.jpg

A man has found out how humanity's final days will be played out in the year 3991 - at least in the world of the computer game he has been hooked on for a decade.

The gamer - known only as Lycerius - posted details online about his epic adventure on the strategy game Civilization II, in which players control a nation through world history.

The detailed game begins at the dawn of civilisation and should end in 2020, but he has continued cultivating his virtual world for another 1,971 years.

He says the three remaining nations have been at war for 1,700 years - and endless nuclear wars have melted the ice-caps and left huge swathes of the world uninhabitable.

"The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation," he said.

"Roughly 90% of the world's population has died either from nuclear annihilation, or famine caused by the global warming that has left absolutely zero arable land to farm."

Scores of different tribes begin the game, each seeking world domination. The only three superpowers left in his simulation are the Celts - controlled by Lycerius - the Vikings, and the Americans.

http://i.imgur.com/GWoyn.jpg

"Between the three of us, we have conquered all the other nations that have ever existed and assimilated them into our respective empires," he said, adding that the nations had been locked in an "eternal death struggle" for almost 2,000 years.

"Peace seems to be impossible. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out."

Civilization II was released in 1998 by MicroProse. Players have to fight wars, develop technology and forge peace treaties with other nations.

Lycerius said he has had to transfer his save file to each new computer over the past decade to continue playing the game.

"I thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be," he said.

"Naturally I play other games and have a life, but I often return to this game when I'm not doing anything and carry on."

He posted details of his lengthy conquest on social networking site Reddit, where users were quick to draw comparisons between the game and George Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984.

The book features three nations locked in an eternal war that no one can remember the beginning of, and where borders always change during minor power grabs.

perrhaps
06-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Somebody ( other than Muddy) needs to get a fucking life.

Godfather
06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
It seems kinda poignant to me. It's kinda like when the computer in War Games tries to play tic-tac-toe and realizes it's just like thermonuclear war :lol:

Leefro
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I loved that game on the PS2

Muddy
06-13-2012, 03:02 PM
That man is an effin' loser...

Leefro
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
That man is my hero

Edited

Muddy
06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
You sir are mislead.

Leefro
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Actually I might go and get this game now

Muddy
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Actually I might go and get this game now

Get the dos version.. I hear its epic!

Leefro
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=Sid+Meier%27s+Civilization+Revolution&_dmpt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&Platform=Sony%2520PlayStation%25203&rt=nc

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
:loser:

Hal-9000
06-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I like how people who play games are called losers...

So going home every night, sitting there and letting 5 hours of TV wash over you somehow makes you a better person :lol: :lol:

at least you interact with a video game...unlike the zombies who watch American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, CSI..

Muddy
06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I like how people who play games are called losers...

So going home every night, sitting there and letting 5 hours of TV wash over you somehow makes you a better person :lol: :lol:

at least you interact with a video game...unlike the zombies who watch American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, CSI..

You could always go outside and do some public masturbating or something...

Hal-9000
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
aye..it's all about how you want to spend your free time..

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
:meatspin:

Hal-9000
06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
only 302 hours for me in Skyrim....

:oops: not consecutive!!!

deebakes
06-14-2012, 02:10 AM
:loser:

Beat me to it :lol: