PDA

View Full Version : Somethig new...

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:06 AM
I got this for free the other day. Not sure what to do with it. It has holes in the bottom already. I think it was used as a planter. I'm thinking of using it as a raised bed container, or possibly a compost container. What would y'all do with it?

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/kmdracer/0613121950a.jpg

It's about 7ft long, maybe 20" wide, and 24" deep.

Griffin
06-14-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm thinking 24 cases of beer and 300 lbs. of ice.
Whatever you put on the barbi is up to you.

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Hahaahahahaha, That was actually first thought....Wife put the kebash on that though...

Griffin
06-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Ok...Tell her 3 pony kegs and unlimited margaritas, but she has to supply the tequila.

DemonGeminiX
06-14-2012, 01:18 AM
An old timey washtub and it's got holes in the bottom?

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Not a wash tub. It's actually a water trough. They sell them at Tractor Supply and other Feed stores. Someone had this on as a planter, so they drilled holes in the bottom (about 10 of them) Then they decided that it was a bit too redneck for their yard, so they gave it to me.... lol

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Ok...Tell her 3 pony kegs and unlimited margaritas, but she has to supply the tequila.

Wife doesn't earn a paycheck (won't say she doesn't work, 'cause she keeps things up around here, lol) sooo, I'd be supplying the tequila.lol

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm thinking of epoxying the holes, fill it up, and soak in it wearing some cutoffs, old cowboy hat with a beer and cig...In the front yard of course, so's I can see the sheriff coming. lol

DemonGeminiX
06-14-2012, 01:34 AM
I thought water troughs were longer and, well, different.

http://www.mainstsupply.com/product.cfm/13/74/73145

[-(

Griffin
06-14-2012, 01:38 AM
serious options eh?
Okay, any contact point with damp soil will rust out quickly (1 to 2 years) the drilled holes broke the galvanized surface and signed the death warrant. Ideally these things are set on supports of some kind to keep airflow under them.
It could be turned into an awesome water feature. I would support it off the ground and put a rubber membrane inside. Many options for landscaping around it.
My backyard pond needs a lot of work but I could post a pic and give more ideas.

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:42 AM
I thought water troughs were longer and, well, different.

http://www.mainstsupply.com/product.cfm/13/74/73145

[-(

Yep, that's a wash tub..this thing is 7 feet long DGX....lol

KevinD
06-14-2012, 01:44 AM
serious options eh?
Okay, any contact point with damp soil will rust out quickly (1 to 2 years) the drilled holes broke the galvanized surface and signed the death warrant. Ideally these things are set on supports of some kind to keep airflow under them.
It could be turned into an awesome water feature. I would support it off the ground and put a rubber membrane inside. Many options for landscaping around it.
My backyard pond needs a lot of work but I could post a pic and give more ideas.

Ohhh, intrigued....I even have a nice pump that I got for free. Would have to seal the holes....maybe a water garden type thing? Rubber liner wouldn't be a prob. Can get that for free too. Have plenty of pavers left over from pathway I could use to raise it a bit...Post you pics... I'm liking this idea...

Griffin
06-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Have to wait till tomorrow, its dark here. but the frogs I have grown in my pond sound AWESOME tonight.
I have tadpoles with bodies the size of my thumbs that have been in there since last summer. I've researched some interesting reasons why they never developed but that is for another day.
I don't know the lay of your land but a high side would help if you want amphibians free access.
I made a pedestal with a pitcher pump on top for my waterfall. It flows into 3 elevated teardrop pools before entering the pond.

redred
06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
either an outside tub like the fall guy or

http://i.imgur.com/iRmlU.jpg

Arkady Renko
06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd probably use it to keep the blueberry plants separated from the rest of our garden, cuase they need a different typeof soil

Hal-9000
06-14-2012, 01:40 PM
ever heard of a yucaflux party Kev?

Fill up the holes and then put some fruit juice and a whole bunch of cut up fruits in the tub. Then each guest brings a bottle of white booze...preferably tequila and they pour it in when they arrive.

:dance: it becomes a shitmix that's pure rocket fuel

KevinD
06-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Hal, that and a bit of sugar and ice is how we make homemade wine coolers. Great stuff!

For now, I'm just gonna use it as composter. Perhaps later on I'll do a water feature with it, but have to get the rest of the backyard stuff done first, so I can figure out where to put it.

Hal-9000
06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
I've been to plenty of yucaflux parties....often waking up stuck to the carpet next to some dried fruit

Griffin
06-15-2012, 01:55 AM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/johng52/pond.jpg

As I said, I have neglected my pond and need to work on it.
This is 350 gallons, about twice what I estimate your tub according to your dimensions.