PDA

View Full Version : Where do milk, eggs and bacon come from? One in three UK youths don't know

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Fewer than half of young UK adults know butter comes from a dairy cow and a third do not know eggs come from hens, according to a survey.
The Telegraph

http://i.imgur.com/Xy0Tc.jpg

More than a third of 16 to 23-year-olds (36%) do not know bacon comes from pigs and four in 10 (40%) failed to link milk with an image of a dairy cow, with 7% linking it to wheat, the poll of 2,000 people for charity Leaf (Linking Environment and Farming) found.

Some 41% correctly linked butter to a dairy cow, with 8% linking it to beef cattle, while 67% were able to link eggs to an image of a hen but 11% thought they came from wheat or maize.

A total of 6% of those questioned knew that salad dressing could come from rapeseed oil, compared with the national average among all age groups of 24%.

Although four in 10 young adults (43%) considered themselves knowledgeable about where their food comes from, the results revealed a "shocking" lack of knowledge about how the most basic food is produced, the charity said.

Leaf chief executive Caroline Drummond said: "We often hear reports that our food knowledge may be declining but this new research shows how bad the situation is becoming.

"Despite what they think, young adults are clearly becoming removed from where their food comes from.

"Three in 10 adults born in the 1990s haven't visited a farm in more than 10 years, if at all, which is a real shame as our farmers not only play an important role in food production but are passionate about engaging and reconnecting consumers too."

The charity, which is organising an Open Farm Sunday event this weekend, also found almost two-thirds of young adults (64%) did not know that new potatoes would be available from British farms in June, and one in 10 (10%) thought they took less than a month to grow.

OnePoll surveyed 2,000 British adults online between May 11 and 14.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2012, 03:44 PM
:facepalm: If they werent so fucking drunk all the time

RBP
06-14-2012, 03:47 PM
:facepalm: If they werent so fucking drunk all the time

:lol:

Hal-9000
06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
I watch the show Survivor...for most seasons they film the show on tropical islands. They had a 24 year old guy from New York wake up one morning on the beach.He looked out at the lagoon in wonder and said - Sooo, this is where fish come from, wow.... :shock:

I shit you not, he was serious :lol:

Arkady Renko
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
that's the way of the world for some folks: Money comes from the welfare office, electricity comes out of the wall socket and food comes out of a supermarket.

Aside from that, it is appalling how a lot of people manage to efficiently kill off their children's natural curiosity. My kids keep pestering me with questions about where our food is grown (in the ground? on a tree? On a bush? in the sea? daddy, show/draw me a picutre...what did that animal look like before they cut it to bits at th factory?)...drives me insane some days but it's certainly preferable to ignorance.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2012, 04:27 PM
that's the way of the world for some folks: Money comes from the welfare office, electricity comes out of the wall socket and food comes out of a supermarket.

Aside from that, it is appalling how a lot of people manage to efficiently kill off their children's natural curiosity. My kids keep pestering me with questions about where our food is grown (in the ground? on a tree? On a bush? in the sea? daddy, show/draw me a picutre...what did that animal look like before they cut it to bits at th factory?)...drives me insane some days but it's certainly preferable to ignorance.

No kidding, I actually had my daughter start a bean garden last week, she's all into it.

Hal-9000
06-14-2012, 04:29 PM

damn....you mean they don't? :sad2:

redred
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
it's a joke tbh , i'm glad my little girl is not the 1 out of the 3 ,i've taken her to the local butchers and she's watched him butcher half a pig head and all , i friend has chickens so she knows about eggs and she knows that cider is made from apples :dance:

oh and i've caught sea fish ,killed it in front of her ,gutted it and cooked it for lunch later that day

Shady
06-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I know of one little girl who knows exactly where pork comes from. At the place I used to work I was prepping two pigs for a pig roast after a wedding. Father and daughter walked in the kitchen looking for the hostess. I was elbow deep in the pigs chest cavity trying to get my rub into every crevasse. Little girl asks her dad what I'm doing and he says "He's getting them ready"" ready for what?""to be eaten, you like Ham and Bacon right?""yeah but why?""that's justice the way it is." Don't think it helped I had a joyous grin on my face.

Hal-9000
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
pig serial killer..probably scarred her for life :x