PDA

View Full Version : Litchfield Elementary School District considering stricter teacher dress-code policy

Teh One Who Knocks
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
by Eddi Trevizo - The Arizona Republic

http://i.imgur.com/HIPlW.jpg

Teachers in the Litchfield Elementary School District may soon need new clothes, hairstyles, jewelry and shoes as board members consider a policy that touts modesty and professional appearance in the classroom.

On Tuesday, board members said the district doesn't have professional dress guidelines other than a general policy asking employees to dress professionally.

Board member Sara Griffin said vague rules make it awkward for administrators to attempt discipline when an employee wears clothing or accessories that are deemed inappropriate.

The recommended policy would prohibit rubber-sole flip-flops, visible undergarments, any visible cleavage, bare midriffs, clothes that are deemed too tight, too loose or transparent, bare shoulders, short skirts and exercise pants.

Men would be required to wear shirts with a collar at all times, except under circumstances such as school spirit days.

The board did not approve the new policy and instead asked the administrators to add other provisions that would set guidelines for appropriate hair color, piercings and tattoos. The board didn't determine to what extent hair color, piercings or tattoos would be regulated, but opinions ranged from total coverage to neutral. The board didn't specify when it would consider voting on the policy.

Griffin said tattoos, especially sleeve tattoos, can appear unprofessional, offensive or distracting.

"It should not be modeled as a norm," Griffin said, referring to the example tattooed teachers set for students.

Others said restrictions should be equitable and not influenced by the board members' personal taste.

All board members agreed that large ear piercings and facial tattoos were distracting and appeared unprofessional. A suggestion to allow female employees to have multiple ear piercings but to prohibit male employees from sporting any pierced ears was one example of challenges the district will face as it attempts to create guidelines and balance cultural trends that have become common among younger professionals.

"I want to respect other cultures within reason. I don't want our personal tastes to offend (others)," board President Shawn Watt said.