PDA

View Full Version : Pure Ecstasy Is Safe, Canadian Doctor Says, But Don't Buy 'E' On The Street

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
by Eliza Barclay - NPR

http://i.imgur.com/iFt9J.jpg

As far as recreational drugs that could have health benefits go, ecstasy doesn't exactly have a lot of champions. Instead, the drug, so often associated with raves, has been fingered as responsible for fatal overdoses, depression and problems in fetal development.

So it comes as a bit of a surprise that the chief health officer of British Columbia said today that ecstasy, or MDMA, is safe for consumption and may not have negative long-term health effects. But the official, Dr. Perry Kendall, who gave interviews to several Canadian media outlets, wants to be clear about one thing: There is a big difference between pure ecstasy and the stuff that gets cut with other chemicals and makes up the vast majority of what's sold on the street.

In other words, don't go running out onto the street in search of "E."

"Unless you are getting it from a psychiatrist in a legitimate clinical trial, at the present time, you can't guarantee what's in it, how much there is, or its safety, so I would say, as we have said in the past: Don't take it," Kendall told CBC News.

As you might have inferred, ecstasy is indeed being given to volunteers in clinical settings. For that matter, so is ketamine, a club drug also known as "Special K" that's shown promise in treating severe depression, as NPR's Jon Hamilton has reported.

Still, it's hard to imagine an American health official making such a pronouncement. But Canada has long had a more lenient attitude toward drugs. Vancouver's city council is currently debating marijuana decriminalization; advocates for decriminalization say the illegal drug trade fuels violence in the city.

Kendall told media outlets that if ecstasy were legalized, it would also take control out of the hands of criminals and give the government the chance to regulate the trade.

"[If] you knew what a safe dosage was, you might be able to buy ecstasy like you could buy alcohol from a government-regulated store," Kendall told Canada's National Post in an interview.

Kendall isn't the first health expert to defend the safety of pure MDMA.

Michael Mithoefer, an associate clinical professor of surgery at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, uses MDMA to treat post-traumatic stress disorder. "There's quite a bit of phase one safety data from studies in the United States and Europe, using doses [of pure MDMA] similar to the ones we're using under medical supervision ... that have shown that [the drug] can be safely administered in that kind of situation," Mithoefer told Tell Me More's Michel Martin in 2007.

And as we've reported, David Nichols, a Purdue University pharmacologist, has also looked at various pharmacological uses for ecstasy. He began his research in the 1980s, before anyone had even heard of it.

Godfather
06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I've got a friend with a masters degree in chemistry who goes on rants saying similar things about it being safe (as he pops it) :roll:

But there's no way to know you're finding 'pure' MDMA... and this shit on the streets has killed dozens of kids in Western Canada alone the last couple years. MDMA has to be cut to be stable, and when it's made in some bathtub in Thailand, who knows what else is in it. It's just plain stupid.

Acid Trip
06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I've got a friend with a masters degree in chemistry who goes on rants saying similar things about it being safe (as he pops it) :roll:

But there's no way to know you're finding 'pure' MDMA... and this shit on the streets has killed dozens of kids in Western Canada alone the last couple years. MDMA has to be cut to be stable, and when it's made in some bathtub in Thailand, who knows what else is in it. It's just plain stupid.

There are testing websites and kits available to determine the purity of any pill being sold as MDMA.

http://www.ecstasydata.org will test any pill if you send in as long as you include a monetary donation (testing isn't free). Marquis reagent testing isn't perfect but it's pretty darn close. I can tell by the color/speed the liquid changes if it's cut with anything.

I've popped hundreds of ecstasy pills and never had any ill effects. I always test first.

Acid Trip
06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
And your friend is correct. Pure MDMA is perfectly safe. All it does is release the serotonin and norepinephrine stores in your brain which make you feel amazing. Both are replaced naturally by the body.