PDA

View Full Version : The right to die (euthanasia)

minz
06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
I feel for this guy I really do, as an animal he would be put to sleep as it's the "humane" thing to do, but as a human he is not allowed to die with assistance despite his obvious suffering and lack of any quality to his life, instead he would be forced to starve himself to achieve a somewhat painful and harrowing death. :( So when did the dog get more rights than the human being?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18495973

Hal-9000
06-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I believe very strongly in euthanasia. Anyone who's watched a friend or relative die of cancer may agree. There comes a time when the person is not living, just existing... to pacify either the doctor's wishes or the relative's. I've had moderate to high levels of daily pain for 11 years now. If it gets any worse I will stop working, eating and moving. That will be my time to check out...

minz
06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I believe very strongly in euthanasia. Anyone who's watched a friend or relative die of cancer may agree. There comes a time when the person is not living, just existing... to pacify either the doctor's wishes or the relative's. I've had moderate to high levels of daily pain for 11 years now. If it gets any worse I will stop working, eating and moving. That will be my time to check out...

Hal if you saw this guy on TV it's heart breaking, I was almost in tears for him, just watching and seeing the despair. :(

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I would have thought the right to die would have been legal under the NHS? :-k

Hal-9000
06-19-2012, 09:50 PM
a friend of mine died in 1988 from AIDS...he went to one of my high schools. I made the mistake of visiting him in the hospital with a small group of friends :(

I know they have different ways of treating that disease now but it truly was heartbreaking to see someone you know, 60 pounds lighter and on a ventilator.

minz
06-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I would have thought the right to die would have been legal under the NHS? :-k

Sadly not, he needs to be assisted so in British law that constitutes murder, thats what he's trying to challenge, I hope for his sake and that of countless others who are suffering that he makes a difference, but sadly I dont htink anything will change. :(

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
I think if you are terminal or you have a zero quality of life due to illness or disease or injury and you wish to end your life, then you should be able to do so.

Acid Trip
06-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Damn man, that sucks. Do you have the Canadian version of a marijuana card? I know people with chronic cystic fibrosis that get almost 100% relief from certain strains of weed.

minz
06-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I think if you are terminal or you have a zero quality of life due to illness or disease or injury and you wish to end your life, then you should be able to do so.

I totally agree.

Damn man, that sucks. Do you have the Canadian version of a marijuana card? I know people with chronic cystic fibrosis that get almost 100% relief from certain strains of weed.

I think it's legal on prescrition in Scotland. :lol: I could be wrong though. :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
I totally agree.

I should clarify that with...as long as your family agrees with your decision. If you have no family, then the decision is yours alone, but if you do have family (wife/husband, kids, parents, etc.) then they should also be involved in the decision. Ending your life is a big step and is not a decision to be made hastily or lightly.

minz
06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
I should clarify that with...as long as your family agrees with your decision. If you have no family, then the decision is yours alone, but if you do have family (wife/husband, kids, parents, etc.) then they should also be involved in the decision. Ending your life is a big step and is not a decision to be made hastily or lightly.

Agreed, this guys family want to end his suffering, I'm all for things being done legally, even under controlled circumstances but he should at least be given that choice to make for himself.

Leefro
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
You have to pay and get flown out to Holland

minz
06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
You have to pay and get flown out to Holland

He's so disabled he couldnt even make it to London from Wiltshire for the court hearing. :huh:

Lambchop
06-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Some kind and wealthy soul may offer to pay for his trip to one of the Dignitas clinics; however, I am sure he would prefer to die in his country of origin.

Hal-9000
06-19-2012, 10:56 PM

This is me AT...I have some other things going on, this is my primary diagnosis. I've never tried to get a medical card, but have attended a clinic that left the door wide open for existing opiates and some experimental stuff. The pills I've taken have been 10 times more powerful (and debilitating) compared to weed, so I smoke pot recreationally after a certain time of day only, so as not to let it become a 24/7 thing.I've found it's very easy to let go, get with the program and live on what amounts to welfare and pills. So I avoid that scenario at all costs.

I'd rather bitch about something most people never understand and hopefully, never experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

RBP
06-19-2012, 11:05 PM
The only place in the US can be prescribed a lethal dose is in Oregon.

Hal-9000
06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I believe very strongly, that if a person wants to go...then they should be allowed.

On the other hand, if the person is in a vegetative state or can't communicate, that same decision should be able to be made by their relatives or friends.

minz
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I believe very strongly, that if a person wants to go...then they should be allowed.

On the other hand, if the person is in a vegetative state or can't communicate, that same decision should be able to be made by their relatives or friends.

There has been some discussion about this saying that you should make a "living will" saying what you would want in the event of you being left in a vegetative state or unable to communicate.

Hal-9000
06-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Lance gets my pc

Muddy gets the Grand Amborghini

medical science will reject all of my organs

and I'm leaving my 900 dollar fortune to charity

I'm set :thumbsup:

FBD
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I feel bad for ya hal...the trigeminal is perhaps the loudest nerve in the entire body. most intense pain I've ever experienced came from that root, absolutely more debilitating than a bad back. did you ever get a good enough diagnosis that might have identified a root cause? if it were me...well, I have acupuncture needles for when my back gets bad, I pop a few in some select places and the nerves STFU pretty quickly. but for teh TN you'd be stickin 'em in the side of yer head :0

redred
06-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Lance gets my pc

what about the old carpet in your room ? anyones name on that yet

Acid Trip
06-20-2012, 01:23 PM
This is me AT...I have some other things going on, this is my primary diagnosis. I've never tried to get a medical card, but have attended a clinic that left the door wide open for existing opiates and some experimental stuff. The pills I've taken have been 10 times more powerful (and debilitating) compared to weed, so I smoke pot recreationally after a certain time of day only, so as not to let it become a 24/7 thing.I've found it's very easy to let go, get with the program and live on what amounts to welfare and pills. So I avoid that scenario at all costs.

I'd rather bitch about something most people never understand and hopefully, never experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

All I had to read was the first couple sentences. "One of the most painful conditions known to mankind."

That really blows. I totally understand staying away from pills though. To make that kind of pain go away you really have to be pilled out. Making yourself into a zombie for fun is one thing, but if you have to do it to make the pain go away that's a whole new story.

FBD
06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
it gets old, fast. sucks walking around with 5 feet of cobweb around you. that's why I eventually stopped taking meds for my back years ago and just dealt with the pain, because I could still friggin feel it anyway.

Muddy
06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
The only place in the US can be prescribed a lethal dose is in Oregon.

A lethal dose of refer?

Muddy
06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Lance gets my pc

Awesome!!

BTW, why cant they just sever that nerve?

FBD
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
then he wouldnt really be able to move his face all that much...you cant just go severing cranial nerves :lol:

RBP
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
A lethal dose of refer?

No. Idk what they prescribe, but docs can only prescribe it, you have to inject it yourself.

Hal-9000
06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Awesome!!

BTW, why cant they just sever that nerve?

3 large branches across your face, literally millions of nerve endings. They're too scared of damaging the patient or giving him loss of facial mobility doing something like that.

Here's where it gets interesting...they've had some success with inserting a little pad between the nerve and a blood vessel (that's what essentially causes the pain) but they do the operation behind the ear, where the trigeminal nerve starts.

I had a lady write me a snail mail letter who suffered for years. She had all of her teeth removed...pain still came. A doctor used a heated syringe and went in through the outside of her cheek and cauterized part of the nerve. That's considered too barbaric now so they don't perform the operation anymore. She told me it stopped 30 years of pain and it was a complete fluke according to the doctor.

Acid Trip
06-20-2012, 04:36 PM
A lethal dose of refer?

:facepalm:

It's impossible to kill yourself with weed.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
:facepalm:

It's impossible to kill yourself with weed.

What if you're smoking a joint in bed and fall asleep with it still lit? :-k

Muddy
06-20-2012, 04:44 PM
They're too scared of damaging the patient or giving him loss of facial mobility doing something like that.

Thats a right serious side effect.

I had a lady write me a snail mail letter who suffered for years. She had all of her teeth removed...pain still came. A doctor used a heated syringe and went in through the outside of her cheek and cauterized part of the nerve. That's considered too barbaric now so they don't perform the operation anymore. She told me it stopped 30 years of pain and it was a complete fluke according to the doctor.

Sounds like its worth looking up that doctor..

Acid Trip
06-20-2012, 04:46 PM

That's death due to bad decision making.

1) Rolled a joint. Only noobs roll joints
2) Took an object that was on fire into bed.

Hal-9000
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Thats a right serious side effect.

Sounds like its worth looking up that doctor..

I asked for the operation and wanted to sign a waiver allowing them to do anything...I don't care if I lose mobility, at least I'll be able to sleep again and not fear eating..

Part of my problem is the 10 years of other treatments I had, while they were looking for cause. I have severe TMD now, which means simply my jaw muscles, nerves and ligaments don't know how to behave...with each jaw motion of speaking or chewing (or sleeping) the various components don't know how to work...

small example from yesterday - my 17, 16 teeth (upper right back teeth) felt like they needed a root canal. Nothing but white hot pain and reactions to hot, cold...breathing :lol:

my 17 tooth has been root canaled already so it's a bit of a mental game. Your mind says - Holy fuck the tooth is compromised, I need it root canaled or extracted!!!....when actually it's the nerve.

Right now my entire left side is swollen, feels like I have dental freezing right in the joint. Teeth are sensitive and opening my mouth causes some pretty good pain, like if someone was hitting you in the face with a baseball bat. There are drugs I can take....but I need to drive a forklift and a car so I don't.

Neuro muscular dentistry isn't new, but dentists are finding out that occlusion or jaw problems refer a shitload of pain to the teeth, so more dentists are being trained in this area. I have what is known as - Non procreation of the ligaments, so every motion brings pain. I binge eat a lot because 3 squares a day just isn't worth it for me. There are ways to get around it but most involve very strong drugs coupled with not moving at all for hours....and Homey don't roll that way :lol:

FBD
06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
tha's killing yourself with fire :lol:

Hal-9000
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM

That's a waste of perfectly good weed :x

Muddy
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
I asked for the operation and wanted to sign a waiver allowing them to do anything...I don't care if I lose mobility, at least I'll be able to sleep again and not fear eating..

Part of my problem is the 10 years of other treatments I had, while they were looking for cause. I have severe TMD now, which means simply my jaw muscles, nerves and ligaments don't know how to behave...with each jaw motion of speaking or chewing (or sleeping) the various components don't know how to work...

small example from yesterday - my 17, 16 teeth (upper right back teeth) felt like they needed a root canal. Nothing but white hot pain and reactions to hot, cold...breathing :lol:

my 17 tooth has been root canaled already so it's a bit of a mental game. Your mind says - Holy fuck the tooth is compromised, I need it root canaled or extracted!!!....when actually it's the nerve.

Right now my entire left side is swollen, feels like I have dental freezing right in the joint. Teeth are sensitive and opening my mouth causes some pretty good pain, like if someone was hitting you in the face with a baseball bat. There are drugs I can take....but I need to drive a forklift and a car so I don't.

Neuro muscular dentistry isn't new, but dentists are finding out that occlusion or jaw problems refer a shitload of pain to the teeth, so more dentists are being trained in this area. I have what is known as - Non procreation of the ligaments, so every motion brings pain. I binge eat a lot because 3 squares a day just isn't worth it for me. There are ways to get around it but most involve very strong drugs coupled with not moving at all for hours....and Homey don't roll that way :lol:

Im sorry you have to go through all that shit, Homer...

Hal-9000
06-20-2012, 06:19 PM
thanks....I have been in handfuls of car accidents and fights so the professionals always say that I probably had some underlying cause..the dentistry just aggravated it.

It makes me very angry.People are struggling with serious shit like cancer, MS etc and I get to endure something that most folks can't see or really understand...it's embarrassing

Anyways, that's my monthly bitch session, thanks for listening :thumbsup:

at least when I go there will be some people who understand why.