PDA

View Full Version : White Boy Gives Back Scholarship Intended to Help Black Students

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
by Jeanne Sager - The Stir

I don't think I need to tell you that sending a kid to college is expensive. If my kid decided to give back a $1,000 scholarship, I think I'd be having a heart attack. But Jeffrey Warren didn't have a lot of options. The California high school graduate is white, and the scholarship was supposed to go to a black kid.

He could have kept it ... legally. But Jeffrey Warren did something that too few kids do these days.

He showed people that it's better to win things "fair and square" than it is to simply "win." That's a pretty hard thing to teach a child. It's not like a mathematical equation where the right answer is directly in front of you.

In this case, Warren didn't know the scholarship was directed toward kids of color. The Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club had mentioned the scholarship's race stipulation in a letter to his high school guidance counselor, but it wasn't in the wording of the actual scholarship. And the Senior Citizens Club didn't know Warren was white until he stood up during the graduation ceremonies to accept his award.

He says he gave the money back because:

I knew they were trying to do a good deed for the African-American community. I had no trouble giving it back to them at all.
He makes me feel hopeful for the future. And he makes me want to send a letter to his parents asking for tips on raising such a great kid. I am still struggling with how to teach my daughter the concept of being a "bigger person."

Jeffery Warren could have had a cool chunk of change to spend on college. That "seems" right. After all, he applied. He "won" the scholarship. And I'm sure it would have helped his parents financially. But the fact that this kid decided to right a wrong here should help his parents even more ... at least it helps them know that they've done a good job in raising a future member of society.

RBP
06-19-2012, 11:30 PM
:roll:

Muddy
06-19-2012, 11:57 PM
I dont see whats the big deal about a $1000 anyway.. College is so off the hook expensive now..

deebakes
06-20-2012, 02:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oeBoe.jpg

FBD
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
$1000 is bare minimum beans for a college scholarship. but good on the boy.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I have a few problems with this...firstly, this is the 21st century and there should not be any race based scholarships for anyone, especially when you consider that one race in particular would be crucified if they tried to offer scholarships to members of their particular race.

Secondly, this was offered by the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club and by not letting the kid keep the scholarship, they turned their back on everything Dr King believed in...in his own words:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

It's a shame that in 2012 there are still people that judge someone based solely on the color of their skin, and contrary to popular belief, it not "whitey" that is the biggest reason that there is still racism in this world, it's the 'minorities' that refuse to let it die.

/rant

Acid Trip
06-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a few problems with this...firstly, this is the 21st century and there should not be any race based scholarships for anyone, especially when you consider that one race in particular would be crucified if they tried to offer scholarships to members of their particular race.

Secondly, this was offered by the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club and by not letting the kid keep the scholarship, they turned their back on everything Dr King believed in...in his own words:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

It's a shame that in 2012 there are still people that judge someone based solely on the color of their skin, and contrary to popular belief, it not "whitey" that is the biggest reason that there is still racism in this world, it's the 'minorities' that refuse to let it die.

/rant

Well said. MLK would be disgusted to see things like the Congressional Black Caucus and race based scholarships.

RBP
06-20-2012, 03:10 PM

/rant

Precisely.

Hal-9000
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Well said. MLK would be disgusted to see things like the Congressional Black Caucus and race based scholarships.

detecting some white sarcasm there? :lol:

Acid Trip
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
detecting some white sarcasm there? :lol:

No sarcasm intended. It's well known MLK was against anything based on race. Doesn't matter if it's a club, congressional caucus, or scholarship for school.

We are all equal and should be judged solely on our merits. Anything that divides us based on the color of our skin = teh bad.

Hal-9000
06-20-2012, 07:18 PM
understood...it read for a moment like - MLK would have wanted to see those entities come to fruition, makes more sense that he wouldn't :thumbsup: