PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court upholds key part of Arizona immigration law, strikes down rest

Teh One Who Knocks
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
By Liz Goodwin, Yahoo! News | The Ticket

The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough anti-illegal immigration law in a 5-3 decision on Monday that allows police officers to ask about immigration status during stops. That part of the law, which never went into effect because of court challenges, will now immediately be enforced in Arizona. Other parts of the law, including a provision that made it a state crime for illegal immigrants to seek work, will remain blocked. Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court's swing vote, wrote the opinion, and was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor. Conservative Justices Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas partially dissented, saying the entire law should have been upheld.

In the opinion, Justice Kennedy wrote that the federal government's "power to determine immigration policy is well settled." But he also showed concern for what he described as Arizona's outsize burden in dealing with illegal immigration, seeming to sympathize with their decision to butt in on immigration enforcement. "Arizona bears many of the consequences of unlawful im*migration," he wrote. "Hundreds of thousands of deportable aliens are apprehended in Arizona each year." But, ultimately, the justices found that Arizona can not mete out their own state punishments for federal immigration crimes.

"Arizona may have under*standable frustrations with the problems caused by illegal immigration while that process continues, but the State may not pursue policies that undermine federal law," Kennedy writes in the opinion's conclusion.

The police immigration checks are allowed, however, because state police would simply flag federal authorities if they find an illegal immigrant.

The Obama administration sued to block Arizona's law, called SB1070, shortly after it passed two years ago, saying it interfered with federal authority over immigration. The law made it a state crime for illegal immigrants to seek work or fail to carry proper immigration papers. It also requires police officers to check immigration status and make warrantless arrests for immigration crimes in some cases. A federal judge prevented those aspects of the law from going into effect, but the law became a lightning rod around the country, sparking boycotts and counter-boycotts and opening up a debate about the nation's illegal immigrant population.

In oral arguments in April, many of the justices seemed deeply skeptical of the government's argument that local police officers would interfere with federal authority over immigration law they began asking people about their immigration status during stops. Though much of the debate around the law has focused on "racial profiling"--whether Hispanic people would be stopped and questioned by police based on their ethnicity--the government did not even mention those words in their case against the law, instead focusing on the federal government's supremacy in immigration matters. Justices repeatedly criticized the government's argument against immigration checks. Even Sonia Sotomayor, part of the court's liberal wing, said she was "terribly confused" by the government's argument against the checks.

But the liberal justices showed much more hesitation over the parts of the law that made federal immigration crimes into state crimes, which have all now been struck down. Sotomayor singled out the state law against illegal immigrants seeking work, noting that Congress had explicitly rejected a similar law in their immigration legislation, instead choosing to target employers who hire unauthorized workers.

Five states followed Arizona's lead and passed similar laws last year, while similar bills failed in more than two dozen other state legislatures. The decision suggests that any state laws that make federal immigration offenses into state crimes will not stand. But it remains to be seen if the outcome will encourage more states to pass laws that make local police officers check immigration status. The law also became an issue in the presidential race, with Mitt Romney bringing on the law's author Kris Kobach as an immigration adviser, and embracing the law's purpose, "self deportation," as his immigration enforcement strategy.

In Arizona v. U.S., Justice Elena Kagan recused herself because she was solicitor general when the Obama administration filed suit against the law. If the court had split 4-4, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals' decision blocking the four major provisions of the law would have stood.

RBP
06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Interesting. But when the feds refuse to do there job, what then? I think AZ should sue the federal government.

Acid Trip
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Interesting. But when the feds refuse to do there job, what then? I think AZ should sue the federal government.

That's what I was wondering. AZ cop inquires to suspects immigration status, they find the suspect is here illegally, then they turn them over to the Feds who will let them go? What purpose does that serve?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
The purpose is to have all those people employed ;)

KevinD
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Ah corrected that for ya Porkster:

The purpose is to have all those people voting ;)

DemonGeminiX
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
The purpose is to have all those people employed ;)

:-s

Well, who else is going to mow your lawn?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I meant the Immigration officers actually ;)

KevinD
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Oops, gotcha now, lol

DemonGeminiX
06-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I meant the Immigration officers actually ;)

:hand:

Immigration officers can't mow your lawn. They have to make sure the illegal immigrants are doing it.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-25-2012, 04:59 PM
true true

perrhaps
06-25-2012, 05:35 PM
So, when an Arizona policeman calls ICE to arrange for the Feds to take custody of an illegal, what are the Feds going to do?

1. Release the illegal? Probably not, as this will leave a paper trail that'll bite them in the ass if the illegal subsequently commits a crime. You can be damn sure the Arizona cops won't release anyone, without written authorization.

2. March 'em to the Mexican border; give 'rm AK-47s, and send them over? Nah. Been there, done that.

Big win for Arizona.

MrsM
06-25-2012, 05:43 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/35hmhpw.jpg

DemonGeminiX
06-25-2012, 05:48 PM
ICE could always ship 'em up to Canada. I'm sure they could use more people.

:)

Muddy
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Especially since Canadians are aboriginal to that land.. :lol:

MrsM
06-25-2012, 06:32 PM

it's too cold for them :)

Acid Trip
06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
So, when an Arizona policeman calls ICE to arrange for the Feds to take custody of an illegal, what are the Feds going to do?

1. Release the illegal? Probably not, as this will leave a paper trail that'll bite them in the ass if the illegal subsequently commits a crime. You can be damn sure the Arizona cops won't release anyone, without written authorization.

2. March 'em to the Mexican border; give 'rm AK-47s, and send them over? Nah. Been there, done that.

Big win for Arizona.

Except that Obama told ICE not to deport anyone between the ages of 16-30 thanks to his "deferred action" mandate.

http://olivielaw.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/obamas-new-immigration-law/

DemonGeminiX
06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
it's too cold for them :)

They'll adjust.

KevinD
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Okay, not sure how I did that, was typing along, and somehow went back a page, lol Couldn't do that if I tried without clicking the back button.

Speaking of Hispanics in cold places, I was talking to some of the guys down here, and they wanted to know how cold it got in the North America, When I explained that this covers a tremendous amount of area with vastly different climates, and told them that the coldest I've ever personally been was in North Dakota (-50F ish) they freaked out. Seemed to think 32F was too cold, lol

Acid Trip
06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
It's getting worse. Now ICE will turn down all calls from Phoenix authorities to pick up a suspect if the person they are holding doesn't fall under Obama's guidelines.

The Obama administration said Monday it is suspending existing agreements with Arizona police over enforcement of federal immigration laws, and said it has issued a directive telling federal authorities to decline many of the calls reporting illegal immigrants that the Homeland Security Department may get from Arizona police.

Administration officials, speaking on condition they not be named, told reporters they expect to see an increase in the number of calls they get from Arizona police — but that won’t change President Obama’s decision to limit whom the government actually tries to detain and deport.

“We will not be issuing detainers on individuals unless they clearly meet our defined priorities,” one official said in a telephone briefing.

The official said that despite the increased number of calls, which presumably means more illegal immigrants being reported, the Homeland Security Department is unlikely to detain a significantly higher number of people and won’t be boosting personnel to handle the new calls.

“We do not plan on putting additional staff on the ground in Arizona,” the official said.

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Arizona may not impose its own penalties for immigration violations, but it said state and local police could check the legal status of those they have reasonable suspicion to believe are in the country illegally.

That means police statewide can immediately begin calling to check immigration status — but federal officials are likely to reject most of those calls.

Federal officials said they’ll still perform the checks as required by law but will respond only when someone has a felony conviction on his or her record. Absent that, ICE will tell the local police to release the person.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said the court’s decision frees police up to perform immigration checks. In anticipation of the ruling, she issued an executive order calling for guidance to be issued to every police department on how to fairly carry out the law.

“We will move forward, instructing law enforcement to begin practicing what the United States Supreme Court has upheld,” she said.

But the Obama administration is under pressure from immigrant-rights groups to cut down on the number of people it is deporting and has taken a number of steps to try to limit deportations of rank-and-file illegal immigrants and focus instead on those with criminal records or repeated immigration violations.

Last week, Mr. Obama said he would halt deportations for most illegal immigrants under 30 who were brought here as children.

On Monday the administration officials also said they are ending the seven 287(g) task force agreements with Arizona law enforcement officials, which proactively had granted some local police the powers to enforce immigration laws.

The task forces, named for the section of law that allows them, have proved popular among many localities but have been a political headache for the Obama administration, with immigrant-rights groups saying they led to abuses.

On Monday the administration officials said they had concluded the seven agreements they had signed with various departments in Arizona weren’t working and took the Supreme Court’s ruling as a chance to scrap them.

KevinD
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
So basically, like we said all along, the politicians don't care what the existing laws are, they aren't going to enforce them, except when it benefits them. I hope to hell this administration doesn't get re-elected, though I don't believe the Romney machine will be much better.

Acid Trip
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
So basically, like we said all along, the politicians don't care what the existing laws are, they aren't going to enforce them, except when it benefits them. I hope to hell this administration doesn't get re-elected, though I don't believe the Romney machine will be much better.

Politicians are like slinkeys, they're really not good for anything...but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

KevinD
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Agreed. lol Reps as just as bad as Dems. we need to trash can the whole lot of them and start over. Where the hell is the governmental "ctrl, alt, del" button?

Acid Trip
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Agreed. lol Reps as just as bad as Dems. we need to trash can the whole lot of them and start over. Where the hell is the governmental "ctrl, alt, del" button?

You have to press AR15 & AK47 simultaneously while yelling "Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedooommmmmmmmmmmmm!"

KevinD
06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Fubar that, I know how to build a bomb, lol

FBD
06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
bullllllshiiiiiiiiiit. there is no provision that says a state cant have a similar law as a federal one, so that argument by the whimlaw justices is a complete fabrication. the provision says federal law will supersede where there is conflict, but if the laws are in agreement, what the fkn fk is the problem?

I wouldnt be surprised if these assholes found a way for ofkocare to be somehow constitutional. all in the wording, that.

I say again. Bull. Fkn. Shit.

KevinD
06-29-2012, 03:34 AM
bullllllshiiiiiiiiiit. there is no provision that says a state cant have a similar law as a federal one, so that argument by the whimlaw justices is a complete fabrication. the provision says federal law will supersede where there is conflict, but if the laws are in agreement, what the fkn fk is the problem?

I wouldnt be surprised if these assholes found a way for ofkocare to be somehow constitutional. all in the wording, that.

I say again. Bull. Fkn. Shit.

Obamacare IS constitutional, now....5 to 3, lol. Unfreaking believable.