PDA

View Full Version : Aussies the biggest recreational drug users in the world - report

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
By Paul Toohey - News.com.au

http://i.imgur.com/W5tBo.jpg

AUSTRALIANS and New Zealanders are the biggest recreational drug users in the world, according to the 2012 United Nations World Drug Report. The use of ecstasy is in decline in Australia, but cocaine use is on the rise and Australians and New Zealanders consume more marijuana per capita than any other country.

Altogether, annual use among Australians and New Zealand for all drugs except for heroin “remain much higher than the global average”, said the report, published a short time ago in Vienna.

The major destinations for cocaine traffickers continue to be in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand, suggesting the Mexican drug cartels are continuing to make strong inroads into the Oceanic market.

The report states that cannabis is the most widely used illicit substance across the globe, with the highest prevalence of use among Australians and New Zealanders.

Between 9.1 and 14.6 per cent of the population use the drug, compared to the estimated annual worldwide usage of 2.6 to 5.0 per cent.

The report, which mostly relies from statistics gathered in 2010, says that while cocaine use has decreased in North America, its use is up a full percentage point in Australia with 1.5 to 1.9 per cent of the population using the drug.

Ecstasy use in Australian declined from 3.7 per cent to 3.0 percent between 2007 and 2010, but this might be explained by the fact Australia reported more ecstasy lab busts than any other country.

The report also noted strong growing trends in the black market for pills.

“There was also a statistically significant increase in the use of pharmaceuticals for non-medical purposes in Australia, with annual prevalence for persons aged 14 and over rising from 3.7 per cent in 2007 to 4.2 per cent in 2010,” said the report.

“Cannabis remains the most prevalent drug in Australia, as well as the main substance accounting for demand for treatment for substance abuse (50 per cent), with heroin and amphetamines accounting for almost 20 per cent of treatment demand.

“Of the 1,790 drug-related deaths reported in 2010, nearly 40 per cent were due to opioids and approximately a quarter attributed to benzodiazepines.”

The report also indicated that Australia may be a victim of its own high reporting standards, especially in regards to cocaine, because countries such as China and India did not provide information for the report.

But the decrease in ecstasy use may not be because of its fading popularity but because of seizures.

“In Oceania, seizures also continued to increase in Australia, where 112kg of ‘ecstasy’-group substances were seized in 2010, compared with 54kg in 2008 and 59kg in 2009,” said the report.

Australia had the highest number of lab busts in 2010, with 17 shut down.

But the report said: “Despite a decline in reported ‘ecstasy’ manufacture, it is worth noting that some countries, such as Australia and Indonesia, reported an increase in the manufacturing capability or size of laboratories.”

The report also found that most Australians who used more than one drug also used cannabis, but the majority of cannabis users - 61 per cent - did not use any other drug.

Most heroin seized moving into Australia was sourced from South-West Asia but Australian use overall remained low. This was attributed to the lasting effects of worldwide 2001 heroin drought, which caused many users to switch drugs.

Damage by disease to 2010 Afghan poppy crops has painted a picture of lower opiate use worldwide, but the report warns the recovery of the crops is likely to see an increase in heroin use once again.

Globally, cannabis remains the most widely used drug followed by amphetamine-type stimulants, including ecstasy.

Muddy
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Anybody seen 'Lost in Melb' lately?

Acid Trip
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I always knew Australia would be a fun place to visit.

redred
06-27-2012, 01:14 PM
the price of there pills are mad $50 each last time a mate went over

Acid Trip
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
the price of there pills are mad $50 each last time a mate went over

You can get ecstasy in Texas for $10 each. The only place I've ever seen them go for $50 is Alaska.

redred
06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
You can get ecstasy in Texas for $10 each. The only place I've ever seen them go for $50 is Alaska.

they're pretty hot at the airports so what does come in sells at high prices , we have a show over here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security:_Australia's_Front_Line all about the airport staff and border control show what they have to put up with

pills over here are around £8-£10 now and are getting as good again as the mid 90's

Acid Trip
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
they're pretty hot at the airports so what does come in sells at high prices , we have a show over here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security:_Australia's_Front_Line all about the airport staff and border control show what they have to put up with

pills over here are around £8-£10 now and are getting as good again as the mid 90's

http://www.Ecstasydata.org shows that pure MDMA pills are starting to pour out of Switzerland into other parts of Europe. You'll find 5-6 near the top of the page. Most of the pills floating around the US are piperzines, Methylone, or other MDMA wannabe chemicals.

I've bought 4 kinds in the last 2 years. 3 failed the marquis reagent test so I tossed them. We bought 50 of the one good pill we found and had a rolling party. We didn't know the next time we'd find real ones so we went all out.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
now I got a vacation destination

Muddy
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I have never done ecstasy. I think I am too old.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
No way, it is so mellow and relaxing, I dont think you can ever be to old.

Muddy
06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I have a lot of responsibility.. I cant just check out like that anymore..

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2012, 04:18 PM
You put the kids to bed and hang out for 4 hours, when you wake up its like nothing ever happened ;)

dragon_hunter
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
So Aussie does more marijuana per capita than the Netherlands :-k

dragon_hunter
06-27-2012, 04:22 PM
You put the kids to bed and hang out for 4 hours, when you wake up its like nothing ever happened ;)

Are you sure that is not just a roofie?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Are you sure that is not just a roofie?

You arent blacked out and raped by morning :lol:

Muddy
06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I had a girlfriend that claimed she was given a roofie and raped by some other friends.. They all said she was just a slut and did it willingly.. What a mess that was. I got rid if her ass.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
You dont want to mess with a chick that makes those claims true or false, in the end its damaged goods

Acid Trip
06-27-2012, 05:12 PM
So Aussie does more marijuana per capita than the Netherlands :-k

The illegality of marijuana adds to it's appeal. Total use in the Netherlands went down when it was legalized. Yet another reason to legalize weed.