PDA

View Full Version : Fallen hero’s pallbearers snubbed at bar for wearing uniform

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2012, 10:08 PM
By ANDREW PARKER - The Sun

http://i.imgur.com/0PFYm.jpg

MILITARY pallbearers were turned away from a bar — because they were wearing uniforms.

Six soldiers had been rehearsing carrying a fallen comrade’s coffin since 6am when they popped into a cafe for a cup of tea to “calm their nerves”.

But the squaddies, including the tragic soldier’s brother, were refused service because their garments breached the bar’s dress code.

One, Corporal David Allison, said they were “disgusted” to be turned away.

The snub today sparked a Facebook campaign to boycott Browns bar in Coventry.

And police were keeping a watch on the property after a brick was hurled through a window.

The incident happened before the funeral of Corporal Michael Thacker, 27, of 1 The Royal Welsh — which was attended by nearly a thousand mourners.

His brother Corporal Matthew, 25, was one of the soldiers refused in the café.

Owner Ken Brown apologised to Michael’s family but confirmed uniforms were banned from the premises.

He claimed staff would “probably” have served the men if they had known they were part of a military funeral.

But Michael’s widow Catherine, 28, said: "I was outraged when I heard what had happened."

After being snubbed at Browns the pallbearers went to a nearby pub where they were given hot drinks for free.

Cpl Thacker was shot dead by a rogue sniper on Friday, June 1, while on duty in Helmand Province.

He had served in Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan and was described as a “soldier’s soldier”.

He lived in Kerseley, Coventry with Catherine and their toddler daughter Millie.

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Classless. Completely disrespectful.

Muddy
06-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Burn that fcuker down..