PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court: Health Care Decision Day

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
By MARK SHERMAN | Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/WxzmV.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — They've known the outcome for three months. Now it's time for the nine Supreme Court justices to share it with the world.

Barring some incredibly strange twist, shortly after 10 o'clock in the morning, Chief Justice John Roberts is expected to reveal the high court's verdict on President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

The court is not just passing judgment on a major expansion of the social safety net, designed to cover an additional 30 million Americans with health insurance. It is doing so on Obama's signature domestic legislative achievement and in the heat of a fierce presidential campaign.

Some people already were in line Wednesday afternoon hoping to be among the few hundred witnesses to a historic moment that will not be broadcast live on television or radio.

FBD
06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I certainly hope their unsatisfactory remarks on AZ wont bleed through to this case, I was surprised at the amount of twisting and shuckin and jivin on that ruling, it was bullshit :roll:

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
:huh:

I hope they have a good opening act. For Christ's sake, three months? It's not a pro sports' game. Just spit it out already.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
:huh:

I hope they have a good opening act. For Christ's sake, three months? It's not a pro sports' game. Just spit it out already.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the whole purpose of sitting on the decisions for months before releasing them accomplishes.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
It creates suspense.

:D

dragon_hunter
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Timed better for the election

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Anyone want to guess what the final ruling will be? I'm going 5-4 or 6-3 to strike down, at a minimum, the individual mandate.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone want to guess what the final ruling will be? I'm going 5-4 or 6-3 to strike down, at a minimum, the individual mandate.

I'm gonna go with a 5-4 decision to strike down only the individual mandate, which in essence destroys the law anyway because that will strip away its funding.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I'll even go one further with my prediction....Justice Roberts will write the opinion for the majority and Kagan writes the opinion for the minority.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
I'll even go one further with my prediction....Justice Roberts will write the opinion for the majority and Kagan writes the opinion for the minority.

It still irks me that Kagan didn't recuse herself.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
The individual mandate has been declared unconstitutional, but survives as a tax?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
From the SCOTUSblog:

The bottom line: the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
And it was a 6-3 decision in favor

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Sad day for our country when the Supreme Court agrees with the White House that it's okay for them to force us to buy something as individual citizens :|

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Fox news said the individual mandate was declared unconstitutional under the commerce clause, but it's upheld as a tax.

They can't force you to buy it, but they can tax you if you don't have it.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 02:22 PM
My day is ruined.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
When's the presidential election again?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
By Liz Goodwin, Yahoo! News | The Ticket

In a victory for President Obama, the Supreme Court decided to uphold his signature health care law's individual mandate in a split decision, upending speculation after hostile-seeming oral arguments in March that the justices would overturn the law. The mandate has been upheld as a tax, according to SCOTUSblog, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the liberal wing of the court. Tom Goldstein of SCOTUSblog says Roberts' vote "saved' the Affordable Care Act.

Twenty six states sued over the law, arguing that the individual mandate, which requires people to buy health insurance or face a fine starting in 2014, was unconstitutional. Opponents cast the individual mandate as the government forcing Americans to enter a market and buy a product against their will, while the government countered that the law was actually only regulating a market that everyone is already in, since almost everyone will seek health care at some point in his or her life.

Before oral arguments in March, polls of Supreme Court experts and scholars showed that most believed the mandate would be upheld as an exercise of Congress' power to regulate interstate commerce. But after justices seemed deeply skeptical of the mandate in oral arguments in March, the consensus flipped, with most experts guessing the court would strike down the law.

House Republicans have vowed to repeal the entire law, though it's unlikely the Democratic-controlled Senate would let that happen, and this decision will most likely slow momentum for that move.

Though the sweeping, 1,000-page plus law passed more than two years ago, much of it will not go into effect until 2014. That's when states will have to set up their own health insurance exchanges, Medicaid will be expanded by 16 million low-income people, and Americans will have to buy health insurance (for many, with a government subsidy) or pay a penalty of 1 percent of their income to the IRS. Employers who have more than 50 employees and don't offer insurance will also begin to face a penalty. Insurers will no longer be able to turn away people with preexisting conditions, or charge people higher premiums based on their gender or health.

Only about 6 percent of the population will actually be required to buy health insurance or face a tax under the mandate, since most people already have coverage or will get it through Medicare, according to the Urban Institute.

Many of the more popular provisions of the law have already gone into effect, including a regulation saying insurers have to let children stay on their parents' plans until they are 26 years old, which 2.5 million Americans have already taken advantage of. Insurers can also no longer turn away children with preexisting conditions, and sick uninsured people can buy coverage in high-risk pools set up by the government.

Despite this intentional front-loading of consumer friendly, popular provisions of the law, the American public is pretty evenly split on the law's benefit. Slightly more people wanted the Supreme Court to strike down the law than uphold it in a recent poll.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
I can't wait till November. If the Republicans get a super majority they'll dismantle Obamacare and Democrats will be helpless to stop them. Turn about is fair play.

Muddy
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
We'll see how it all works out in the wash I guess.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:32 PM
I can't wait till November. If the Republicans get a super majority they'll dismantle Obamacare and Democrats will be helpless to stop them. Turn about is fair play.

I can't believe Justice Roberts sided with the majority on this

Muddy
06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
:villagers:

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Megyn Kelly's really hot.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
More detail from ABC News:

In a landmark ruling with wide-ranging implications, the Supreme Court today upheld the so-called individual mandate requiring Americans to buy health insurance or pay a penalty, the key part of President Obama's signature health care law.

The court ruled that the mandate is unconstitutional, but it can stay as part of Congress's power under a taxing clause. The court said that the government will be allowed to tax people for not having health insurance.

"The Affordable care act's requirement that certain individuals pay a financial penalty for not obtaining health insurance may reasonably characterized as a tax. Because the Constitution permits such a tax, it is not our role to forbid it, or to pass upon its wisdom or fairness," the court said in the ruling.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Megyn Kelly's really hot.

:thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Jenna Lee's pretty bangin' too.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court's swing vote, dissented, reading from the bench that he and three conservative justices believe "the entire Act before us is invalid in its entirety."

The court's four liberal justices agreed that the individual mandate could be upheld as part of Congress' power to regulate interstate commerce, but Roberts disagreed, and wrote that the mandate is actually a tax, despite the Obama administration's reluctance to describe it that way during the bill's passage. Under the law, people who do not have health insurance will have to pay 1 percent of their income to the IRS starting in 2014.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:51 PM
I dunno entirely, but I think I should move up my estimate for the next revolution by about 50 years.

:-k

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
This is what the Supreme Court has decided and it's VERY scary.

The US Government cannot force an individual to buy something. So they can't force you to buy it, but they sure as hell will tax you for not buying it.

That makes no sense.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Think about the precedent this sets: Congress can't make you buy something, but they can increase your taxes if you don't buy the crap they want you to buy.

DemonGeminiX
8-[

Acid Trip
Think about the precedent this sets: Congress can't make you buy something, but they can increase your taxes if you don't buy the crap they want you to buy.

Copycat :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
8-[

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Under these new rules they could pass an American Car Tax. If you don't buy an American made car we'll tax you.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Under these new rules they could pass an American Car Tax. If you don't buy an American made car we'll tax you.

Yeah. Like I said, my timetable for an expected revolution has just moved up by about 50 years.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah. Like I said, my timetable for an expected revolution has just moved up by about 50 years.

We need to speed it the hell up. I'd rather die fighting for a free country than old age.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
You'd need to get the military to abandon Washington, get them on the people's side. I don't think we're there yet.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 03:11 PM
You'd need to get the military to abandon Washington, get them on the people's side. I don't think we're there yet.

It shouldn't be too hard. There aren't many liberals in the armed forces. Liberals leave jobs like that to the real men.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Fox News reported that Romney's campaign took in $300,000 in online donations within the first hour that the Supreme Court's decision was made public.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Fox News reported that Romney's campaign took in $300,000 in online donations within the first hour that the Supreme Court's decision was made public.

I jumped on the bandwagon and sent $1,000 to Romney. Maybe my money will talk louder than I do.

RBP
06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
I jumped on the bandwagon and sent $1,000 to Romney. Maybe my money will talk louder than I do.

:-s

send me money :tup:

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
:-s

send me money :tup:

I didn't realize you were running for office. Is Governor or Hookerville up for grabs again? :)

RBP
06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I didn't realize you were running for office. Is Governor or Hookerville up for grabs again? :)

stop asking questions and send me money :x

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Get a job hippie :x

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
stop asking questions and send me money :x

:lol:

RBP
06-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Get a job hippie :x

:sad2:

That hurts.... deeply.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
:sad2:

That hurts.... deeply.

:empathy:

RBP
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
:empathy:

send me money for my pain and suffering :x

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 04:58 PM
send me money for my pain and suffering :x

:-k

:fire:

RBP
06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I'll take that as a "no" :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
:banana:

Southern Belle
06-28-2012, 05:29 PM

We need to speed it the hell up. I'd rather die fighting for a free country than old age.

Since the Supreme Court has effectively refused to uphold the Constitution, I think the next step for the liberals and progressives will be to start back working on gun control.

I own a shot gun, but I'm going to start building up a small arsenal of unregistered weapons for that very reason. I have no confidence in the Supreme Court to protect our rights. We'll have to do it ourselves if necessary.

Muddy
06-28-2012, 05:40 PM
This is what the Supreme Court has decided and it's VERY scary.

The US Government cannot force an individual to buy something. So they can't force you to buy it, but they sure as hell will tax you for not buying it.

That makes no sense.

Agreed..

Southern Belle
06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
That's usually considered extortion..

FBD
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
The kicker is, even Justice Roberts' reasoning is entirely flawed and illegal...

Obamacare constitutionality for dummies (including GW):

1) Obamacare was upheld as a tax within congress's authority to tax.

2) Constitution says federal taxes must be excise or direct.

- Excise tax is a tax on a financial transaction, like buying something. It must be uniform. Same tax rate across the board.

Obamacare is not an excise tax.

-Direct tax is a "head tax". A tax on every person. Direct tax must be evenly apportioned across the board, everybody pays the same amount.

Obamacare is an unconstitutional application of a direct tax. It is not evenly apportioned across the board.

SCOTUS did not address this. They ruled it's a tax, without addressing the unapportioned aspect of it, which would render it unconstitutional.

Partisan hack job, this Roberts vote.

Acid Trip
06-28-2012, 09:38 PM
The kicker is, even Justice Roberts' reasoning is entirely flawed and illegal...

Obamacare constitutionality for dummies (including GW):

1) Obamacare was upheld as a tax within congress's authority to tax.

2) Constitution says federal taxes must be excise or direct.

- Excise tax is a tax on a financial transaction, like buying something. It must be uniform. Same tax rate across the board.

Obamacare is not an excise tax.

-Direct tax is a "head tax". A tax on every person. Direct tax must be evenly apportioned across the board, everybody pays the same amount.

Obamacare is an unconstitutional application of a direct tax. It is not evenly apportioned across the board.

SCOTUS did not address this. They ruled it's a tax, without addressing the unapportioned aspect of it, which would render it unconstitutional.

Partisan hack job, this Roberts vote.

It's even worse then that. The version of Obamacare that passed originated in the Senate. All tax bills (since this is now a tax bill) must originate in the House or Representatives.

It's all fucked up and nobody cares.

Loser
06-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, It's official.

I'm going to liquidate everything I have, sack it away where the government can't find it. Find some trailer trash whore, knock her up six/seven times, and have all ya'll motherfuckers pay for me to sit on my lazy fucking ass and do nothing but smoke pot and play video games all day....

Ty all for supporting my dream....;)

Pony
06-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm going to liquidate everything I have, sack it away where the government can't find it.

I started doing that 2 years ago.

KevinD
06-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Done and done....lol.. BTW, anybody got a good idea for getting lead and brass off your fingers? I've used Simple Green, Fast Orange, and Palmolive, with mixed results. (Oh, and I need a hookup on new hand loaders too) lol

RBP
06-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Well, It's official.

I'm going to liquidate everything I have, sack it away where the government can't find it. Find some trailer trash whore, knock her up six/seven times, and have all ya'll motherfuckers pay for me to sit on my lazy fucking ass and do nothing but smoke pot and play video games all day....

Ty all for supporting my dream....;)

http://i.imgur.com/parRg.png

FBD
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Done and done....lol.. BTW, anybody got a good idea for getting lead and brass off your fingers? I've used Simple Green, Fast Orange, and Palmolive, with mixed results. (Oh, and I need a hookup on new hand loaders too) lol

you're supposed to use a revolver when you do something illegal :lol:

Southern Belle
06-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Try Charlie's Soap

http://www.charliesoap.com/