PDA

View Full Version : God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle has been discovered

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
By Rob Cooper - The Daily Mail

Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week, it is believed.

Five leading theoretical physicists have been invited to the event on Wednesday - sparking speculation that the particle has been discovered.

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level.

http://i.imgur.com/A9GXy.jpg

Physicists first predicted that the Higgs Boson subatomic particle exists 48 years ago.

Peter Higgs, the Edinburgh University emeritus professor of physics that the particle is named after, is among those who have been called to the press conference in Switzerland.

The management at Cern want the two teams of scientists to reach the 'five sigma' level of certainty with their results - so they are 99.99995 per cent sure - such is the significance of the results.

Tom Kibble, 79, the emeritus professor of physics at Imperial College London, has also been invited but is unable to attend.

He told the Sunday Times: 'My guess is that is must be a pretty positive result for them to be asking us out there.'

The Higgs boson is regarded as the key to understanding the universe. Physicists say its job is to give the particles that make up atoms their mass.

Without this mass, these particles would zip though the cosmos at the speed of light, unable to bind together to form the atoms that make up everything in the universe, from planets to people.

The collider, housed in an 18-mile tunnel buried deep underground near the French-Swiss border, smashes beams of protons – sub-atomic particles – together at close to the speed of light, recreating the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang.

If the physicists’ theory is correct, a few Higgs bosons should be created in every trillion collisions, before rapidly decaying.

This decay would leave behind a ‘footprint’ that would show up as a bump in their graphs.

However, despite 1,600 trillion collisions being created in the tunnel - there have been fewer than 300 potential Higgs particles.

Now it is thought that two separate teams of scientists, who run independent experiments in secret from each other, have both uncovered evidence of the particle.

However, the two groups, CMS and ATLAS, are expected to stop short of confirming its existence.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
So what does this mean going forward? How can it be weaponized?

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 08:09 PM
the glue that holds the fabric of the universe together

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
So the guys at CERN found it eh... I always thought it would have something to do with hal's sticky socks....

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I got yer Higgs boson right here pal :x

*bends over and pulls down pants*

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
*bends over and pulls down pants*

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mo2gqa.jpg

:shock: Easy there bud

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:19 PM
this experiment always bothered me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Wow I wish we were shown videos like that in physics class :lol: Instead we had a hyper little bald man who couldn't understand how everything was all very obvious to us on the chalk board

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
the particle's behavior changes, when it's observed........

wtf? is that now the 5th dimension called 'witnessing' or some shit??? :lol:

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM

Yeah I like that explanation a lot. Does that series explain other basics of quantum physics, like that you can know a particles momentum or location but not both?

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure, it's the only video I've watched with the Dr Quantum dude :lol:

I was actually searching for an explanation for the cause of gravity :oops: (the 4th force will be with you Luke..)

FBD
07-03-2012, 12:05 AM

hal, know about the calabi yau spaces as applied in string theory? structure of spacetime, responds (read deforms) correspondingly to whatever the circumstances are. doesnt bother me that there's some fantastic googol of different configurations (different structures) :lol: when certain dimensions line up in certain fashions, certain results manifest, like the "field lines" of a magnet lining up and drawing two together or something being "gravitationally bound" to something else. that is the 'field and structural' response that changes the x10^-32m size 'granules' of 'spacetime resonance.' certain other configurations are harder to come by, i.e. only manifest in extreme energy situations...but from the flow of photons through a slit to the "inflationary period" where the universe blew up huge in size, it all reduces to particular resonances of the CY spaces - thus spacetime is "teeming with activity" via "quantum fluctuations"...

call me when there's a six sigma result :lol:

deebakes
07-03-2012, 03:17 AM
i bet its a mistake :lol:

Noilly Pratt
07-03-2012, 03:25 AM
So, let me understand...this God particle is believed to give all matter in the universe size and shape.

:-k

:think:

:-s

Can we alter it to make bigger boobies?

:D

deebakes
07-03-2012, 03:39 AM
silicone already does that :-k

FBD
07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
So, let me understand...this God particle is believed to give all matter in the universe size and shape.

:-k

:think:

:-s

Can we alter it to make bigger boobies?

:D

not size/shape - mass - so the "higgs field" is what provides for inertia.

Hal-9000
07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
hal, know about the calabi yau spaces as applied in string theory? structure of spacetime, responds (read deforms) correspondingly to whatever the circumstances are. doesnt bother me that there's some fantastic googol of different configurations (different structures) :lol: when certain dimensions line up in certain fashions, certain results manifest, like the "field lines" of a magnet lining up and drawing two together or something being "gravitationally bound" to something else. that is the 'field and structural' response that changes the x10^-32m size 'granules' of 'spacetime resonance.' certain other configurations are harder to come by, i.e. only manifest in extreme energy situations...but from the flow of photons through a slit to the "inflationary period" where the universe blew up huge in size, it all reduces to particular resonances of the CY spaces - thus spacetime is "teeming with activity" via "quantum fluctuations"...

call me when there's a six sigma result :lol:

In the double slit experiment they imply that the particles change behavior simply because they ' realize ' that they're being observed. If I was the scientist getting that data, the first thing I'd look at is how does the observation instrument screw with the particle fields :lol:

there's no way it's a Schrodinger's cat result, where simple observation changes the result. That theory would hurt my head :|

Muddy
07-03-2012, 08:37 PM
In the double slit experiment they imply that the particles change behavior simply because they ' realize ' that they're being observed. If I was the scientist getting that data, the first thing I'd look at is how does the observation instrument screw with the particle fields :lol:

there's no way it's a Schrodinger's cat result, where simple observation changes the result. That theory would hurt my head :|

I figured you knew more than these guys at Cern.... :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
you thought I was a guy with nice tits only...

Muddy
07-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Now I know the true you... :lol:

Hal-9000
07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
SHHHHH....I actually understand FBD's posts :lol:

FBD
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I try to describe things so that they may be understood :D Sometimes I do a better job than others, hehe.

Regarding a "particle" - no such thing, really. We're not loading a big potato into a tank turret and firing it through a doorway half mile away ;) When "firing a single photon" it is sorta..."jumping a resonance into existence, with angular momentum and direction." This resonance is the wave function (the particular resonance of which makes the statement "I'm a photon.") When a wave function propagates, you cant imagine just one little single loop of energy flying from point a to point b. Consider the wave function's trip "through the calabi-yau spaces" that are its path trajectory - the wave function is basically part and parcel of the CY spaces, the spaces temporarily resonate with the photon as it passes through the granulars of spacetime. Adjacent CY spaces are affected to a certain degree - so therein lies the reason why its not just some planck sized loop of energy that goes from here to there - it is a resonance spread amongst some number of CY spaces, so you can think of the wave function as...hah...being a wave that passes by a cork in the water, almost. If you have a ton of corks, you still see the wave, the waves move with the cork, the corks move with the wave. As this function propagates through spacetime, the group of CY spaces it passes through help determine the paths it takes by adding (modifying to an extent) the totality of the resonances of the CY spaces - thus when "a photon actually strikes the detector," the wave function actually contains information resultant of the cumulative effects of the CY spaces it has traversed.

Thus duality is contained, "particle" only manifests as resultant and cumulative action collapse the waveform, "taking effect." "Measurement" and "observation" are modifications and collapses of the wave function. Its all energy, remember, so even "a photon striking something" is really "the wave function collapsing as a result of hitting an electromagnetic wall" - or more accurately, the wave function being stopped, absorbed, by the magnetic field, because no touching ever really takes place.

I hope that makes sense :)

Lambchop
07-04-2012, 02:33 PM
and so the Church of the Higgs boson was born.

Noilly Pratt
07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
I try to describe things so that they may be understood :D Sometimes I do a better job than others, hehe. [edited because my head might asplode]

:-k So basically, to use your cork analogy, we can see how much the cork(s) are bobbing, and so we know a wave of x amount produced that wave. How the wave came to be, or even what the wave looks like, we haven't seen yet. We just know that there is a wave. :tup:

FBD
07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Kinda...or from another point of view, we seem to somehow think there is but one cork, when all this data keeps telling us otherwise, so explanations are needed, nifty mathematical structures correlate ;)

I used the analogy or corks floating in the water to correlate the interaction between a photon-wavefunction and the cy space it traverses. So how much it bobs up and down itsnt quite so much a focus as much as a photon passing by isnt "going to make just one cork at a time bob." Think spacetime continuity for that, but that analogy can easily be stretched a little too far.

Things get weird on those tiny levels. The only way the double slit manifests is if they are of a certain size to take advantage of the phenomena that manifests, it is some multiple of wavelengths. Too big or too small and the double slit doesnt work. It is telling us something about the underlying structure, that there is interaction between "particles" and that structure. But the particles dont really behave like particles when you get down to fantastically small distances.

Richard Cranium
07-04-2012, 03:38 PM
"As the candy hearts poured into the fiery quasar, a wonderous thing
happened, why not? They vaporized into a mystical love radiation that
spread across the universe, destroying many, many planets - including two
gangster planets and a cowboy world. But one planet was exactly the right
distance to see the romantic rays, but not be destroyed by them - Earth.
So all over the world, couples stood together in joy. And me, Zoidberg!
And no one could've been happier, unless it would've also been
Valentine's Day. What? It was? Hooray!"
-Zoidberg