PDA

View Full Version : External HDD Losing Place in Movie?

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:10 PM
So I usually download or move my TV shows and Movies to my External hard drive to keep my laptop light!

But when I close the lid or the computer goes to sleep, and I turn it back on, it loses my place in the TV show/movie (It actually registers as an error or something). And I hate having to find it again :lol:

I use VLC... is there any plug-in or app or anything at all that will correct that so that I can pick up where I left off on media on an external hdd?

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
remember.....

idk :lol:

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
No :lol:

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
since you're basically playing a movie from your hard drive (s), I don't think there's any media player that will remember the point it ended at. Closing the lid or hibernating stops the media player, resetting the file back to 0 so to speak...

I have a similar problem...I watch tons of TV and movies on my desktop and fall asleep at one point during the show. Then the next day I have to rewatch 50% of the damn thing to find out where I actually nodded off at :lol:

Godfather
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
If the media is saved on my C drive, it doesn't happen though :-k Why is an external such a problem for the media player...

Pony
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
It's more likely not the external but the sleep mode. It's always been buggy but it may simply be disconnecting the drive when it goes to "sleep".

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm with Pony...either you're shutting the laptop off (by closing the lid) or allowing it to sleep or hibernate.At that point it stops the movie in the player and/or disconnects the external drive

Godfather
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah I know it does, because the hard drive actually powers down when I close the lid (and the laptop goes to sleep). I dono, I was just hoping there was still a way for it to pick up where it left off somehow :lol: Shouldn't be rocket science....

Teh One Who Knocks
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Actually set aside 2 hours and watch the movie in its entirety? :-s

Hal-9000
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah I know it does, because the hard drive actually powers down when I close the lid (and the laptop goes to sleep). I dono, I was just hoping there was still a way for it to pick up where it left off somehow :lol: Shouldn't be rocket science....

No man once it shuts off the device your file is stopped....get a pad of fricken paper and when you close the lid, write down 48:32 or whatever you mook :lol:

Pony
07-02-2012, 11:08 PM
It loses it's place because when the drive powers down all the data that was in the buffer to play video disappears. Probably why you get an error message.

Who the hell watches a movie in multiple sittings anyway! :lol:

KevinD
07-03-2012, 01:24 AM
WMP (I haven't used it in years) used to "remember" movie placemarks, even if I restarted the computer. There was an opiton like "bookmark" "placemark" or something like that. Dunno if there is for VLC.

Godfather
07-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Ahhh there is! Bookmark. That makes so much sense :lol: Thanks Kev!

KevinD
07-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Tips hat.....Just call me Sheriff Carter ...

Hal-9000
07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
WMP (I haven't used it in years) used to "remember" movie placemarks, even if I restarted the computer. There was an opiton like "bookmark" "placemark" or something like that. Dunno if there is for VLC.

well durrrrh, you learn something new everyday :thumbsup:

Godfather
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
For the record... I got a new External HD and either it, or the version of VLC I'm using, automatically saves my place now :mrgreen:

When I open the lid or wake the computer up, I just have to give it 30 seconds and I can continue watching no problem :lol:

KevinD
07-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Ha, just noticed that my VLC isn't saving bookmarks now..tried to manually save, and nada. Oh well, when I get home, probably going to reformat laptop to NIB anyway.